“Young families must stay here!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #158 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Young families must stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We were astounded by our stay in the Athenaeum Hotel last night. I had researched hotels in London thoroughly before deciding upon this hotel to celebrate both my partner's birthday and my 5 month old son's first trip away. I expected it to be very good but there was no preparing for just how good a place can be. This place is very, very special.
To start, the staff were exceptionally warm and welcoming and accommodating for our family. Every staff member we met had a genuine, friendly and warm nature (Serena, Zsofia.... and many others who I do not recall their names).
It really was as they profess to be 'a home from home'. As many would appreciate it is not easy travelling to London with a young baby, but this hotel made it a total pleasure. Given its close proximity to London Victoria it is possible to walk to the Hotel with a buggy and luggage. The room was immaculate, spacious and comfortable. It suited all of our needs..and more. We were made to feel special by some personal touches by the staff team (to include; a birthday card and cake for my partner, complimentary treats/drinks and toys to entertain our son). The kids concierge were excellent. We took advantage of the room service menu to eat in whilst our son slept and the food was fantastic.

I feel this Hotel is more than worthy of its 5 stars and I will be recommending it to all friends, family and colleagues travelling to London.

There was nothing that could have made this stay any better for us. I have no suggestions for improvements to make. It was perfect.

Room Tip: Park view rooms are fantastic. Fully soundproofed - you do not hear a sound from Piccadilly traffic...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DrConnor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Gem of a hotel- intimate atmosphere in view of the surprisingly large number of rooms- excellent doorman and concierge- delightful relaxing bar- well designed bed room and gorgeous bathroom- attention to detail eg toiletries, particularly appreciated. Great position. Punchy price for breakfast at £27 each- didn't take.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The Athenaeum hotel is a real find - comfortable rooms with free Nespresso, snacks, juices, soft drinks, fast wifi and really great showers equal a perfect stay in the heart of Mayfair overlooking Green Park. A great location for shoppers alike, just 10 mins walk from Buckingham palace - what's not to like! Marcia on the front desk couldn't do enough for me, moving me to a higher floor at my request and making sure I was on a quiet side street so I could get my work done.
The only reason I would not give five stars is the communal areas of the hotel are small and the bar not up to the standard of the more classic 5 stars in London - but with this location? I'm not sure that it matters!

Room Tip: If you fancy a good nights sleep, ask for a higher room facing over a side street
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

A warm welcome from everybody - the Doorman, Reception and also the Chambermaid - especially - Marcia - Reception and Irene in the Back Office. They heard it was my Birthday and they really spoilt us - cake, Birthday Card etc. Splendid accommodation with wonderful walk-in shower and fine views. The attention to detail was second to none and the best we have ever encountered in the 5 star hotel and we are seasoned world travellers. Breakfast was fresh and very good - we will definitely be back.
John & Gail - Brighton

Room Tip: Our Suite 605 - very good with views over the park.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

Great medium sized hotel close to sights and shopping. Good for business and pleasure.

• Stayed May 2012
darlington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have always wanted to stay here (having dined in the restaurant) and was already very much taken with the place. Don't think I would bother forking out again, unless it was an absolute steal or someone else was paying as the value isn't there. In a 5 star hotel you expect a wow factor/superlative service etc. and yet it was all a bit anonymous and flat. There were a couple of minor niggles with housekeeping (locking us out of the bathroom, swapping feather pillows for yet more feather pillows instead of foam) but these were quickly remedied and didn't go towards informing my opinion of the place.
The feeling of anonymity wasn't helped by being housed in the apartment block (we had wanted to enjoy the buzz of being in the hotel). What contact we did have with the staff in the main hotel was ok but not great. We weren't asked whether we had enjoyed our stay when we checked out, which is quite a basic error. Also not impressed that, when it turned out that we had been provided with duff information in an email sent prior to our stay, the response was very blase and unapologetic. It would definitely have been a moment in which to apologise for the (genuine) inconvenience/disappointment caused. At breakfast the staff seemed stressed and somewhat frenetic, and consistency of service was not there.
It's all very functional, clean and reasonably efficient, but it lacked anything special and my adoration from afar has been quite swiftly gotten over. You probably wouldn't have a horrible time here, but you may wonder what all the hype is about...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dizbopper
AthenaeumHotelLondon, General Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear dizbopper
Thank you for yor review and i take on board your feedback. I can see from your other reviews that you are service orientated and if ever there was a hotel to fit then I would have hoped it would be The Athenaeum.
My apologies re the feather pillows and your trouble with the bathroom door.

Our Apartment Townhouses are connected to the hotel and whilst some guests love having their own front door access and the connecting hotel access, i appreciate that for you this was not the case. When rooming our guests we are always open to show alternative rooms in the same category as we really do care about wanting you to feel at home.

Do feel free to contact me and i would welcome you back to the hotel.
Best Regards

Simon Wakefield, General Manger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

I arrived in the morning after a red eye flights, so I was prepared to have to drop off my bags and run for the nearest coffee shop. To my amazement, my room was ready, and I was greeted with great hospitality and professionalism. I got my room on a discount, so my room was quite small and had no view. However, the pros far out way the cons, as my room was spotlessly clean, quality of bed/linens was excellent, and most amazingly, the mini bar was complimentary! I also ha afternoon tea on my first day, and while it wasn't the best I've had in London, the service was top notch and the room bright and welcoming. I also feel the need to say as a single traveller under 30, I often feel out of place and intimidated in places like these, but I couldn't have felt more welcome, so I hope to have the chance to stay here again soon.

• Stayed May 2011