The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
2,642 results
All reviewsgreen parka park view roommilk and cookiesbuckingham palacemini barafternoon teathe main hotelsecret hotelnespresso machinepiccadilly circushome from homelovely hotelupgraded to a suitehyde parkfive star hotellovely rooman upgrade
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights over the April break. We truly loved this hotel. The service was amazing. The lobby, bar and breakfast area were beautiful. The hotel is also situated in the perfect location. The only negatives were the rooms were on the smaller side and the bathrooms had 1 sink.

The hotel was very welcoming to the children and perfect for the adults. I was extremely happy with our stay at the Athenauem.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We came to London for one night to see The Boss! We booked a deluxe room at The Athenaeum and were delighted when we arrived to be told we had been upgraded to a beautiful apartment, just around the corner. Before we went to the apartment we were given complimentary coffee and shortbread, in the gorgeous bar. Lovely way to start our stay. The apartmemt was breathtakaing. High ceilings, fabulous funky furniture, fun bunk bed for our daughter and a stunning bedroom. We were so pleased. The only downside for us was that we did not spend as much time there as we would have liked as we had lunch with friends in London before the evening concert in Hyde Park.

We returned that evening for coffee and drinks in the bar, and our daughter had hot chocolate and cookies, We had a wonderful quiet nights sleep as the apartments are situated off of the main road. The bed was so comfortable and it was lovely to return to the room where the curtains had been pulled, soft lights on and our daughters bed all made up ready for her.

Breakfast was delicious and the dining room is beautiful, The food was cooked freshly and the larder was filled with scrumptious pastries and goodies to have before or after your cooked breakfast. We could not fault a thing, the staff, the reception, all very friendly and the concierge team who knocked shortly after we arrived to give our daughter a yo-yo, maps of London and bird seed for the park. Complimentary goodies in the room included nuts, drinks, chocolate, coffee and a well equipt kitchen. We had a wonderful time and would recommend anyone with a family to stay at The Athenaeum for a luxury treat as it truly made our weekend.

Room Tip: Apartments, quiet and perfect for families
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kamikazebingo
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We only got to spend one night here, but we would change that if we could - and we will DEFINITELY stay here the next time we go to London! We thought the hotel looked nice and sounded good from what we read online, but we had NO IDEA just how good it would be.

The people at The Athenaeum take service to a whole new level. The way they treat children/families is absolutely unheard of. Our 9-year old son was just THRILLED at how they treated him. Within 5 minutes of arrival, someone came to our room to deliver a goodie bag to him, filled with things like a kid's map of London and a bag of birdseed (to feed the birds at the park across the street). 15 minutes later, someone else arrived with milk & a cookie on a slate tile for him. Needless to say, he was hooked!

The room itself was gorgeous. It was also filled with items specifically personalized to our family, thanks to the questionnaire they asked me to fill out before our arrival. All items in the fully stocked mini-bar are complimentary (yes, ALL!).

We had two experiences make this a 4-star review instead of a 5-star review:

1. In the questionnaire I filled out, I requested a Wii game system in our room (I'm telling you, this hotel bends over backwards to make kids happy). The kids' concierge emailed me back and said that we would definitely have a Wii in our room. There was no Wii in our room when we checked in, so when we left to go sightsee for a bit I stopped at the front desk and asked about it. I was told they would check on it and it would be taken care of when we returned. It was not. We never saw a Wii and no one ever followed up with us about it. It wasn't a major issue, it just really surprised me that they dropped the ball on this because their service in every other area was absolutely impeccable.
1a. - As an alternative to the Wii, we chose to borrow a movie from their extensive DVD library. This was much more trouble than it should have been. There were no instructions in the room on how to switch over from TV to DVD, and no remote for the DVD player. When they sent up the movie we requested, the wrong disc was in the box (special features only instead of the movie). When we called back and requested a different movie, again we were delivered a box that said one thing and a disc that was something else. Again, not a deal breaker or anything, it just seems that they need to get a little more organized in this department.

2. I left a pair of tennis shoes at the side of the bed when we checked out. It took me about 36 hours to realize they were missing, and I emailed the hotel as soon as I figured it out. I got an Out of Office reply from the first person I contacted, so I forwarded my message to the email he provided. It took this person several hours to get back to me, and when she did it was only to say she'd ask and let me know. The next day I still hadn't heard anything, so I emailed a third person. This person got back to me in a very timely manner, but said housekeeping had no record of finding any shoes in our room.

All in all, none of these issues is a big enough deal to sour me on this hotel. It is absolutely gorgeous, the staff bend over backwards to make you feel happy and welcome, the location is FABULOUS, and the restaurant downstairs has a great breakfast (although it's substantially more expensive than if you go elsewhere). We would be absolutely thrilled to stay there again, hopefully for more than just one night next time!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We are staying at the apartment right now and have been truly blown away by the service here. We arrived to a classy and spacious third floor apartment with a fully stocked fridge- all of its contents (champagne, red & white wine, gin, vodka, mixers, juices, milk, even Ben & Jerry ice creams) are completely complimentary! The coffee table held toys galore for the kids- tennis rackets, balls, kite, frisbee, bird seed, yo-yos and kid name badges with hotel info on them. If your children become lost in the city, all they need to do is hop in any cab, show the badge and they will be returned to the hotel- athenaeum pays the fare. I'm telling you, these people think of EVERYTHING! Room service is quick and delicious and kids eat free with a paying adult. Milk and cookies show up in your room everyday. Wii and play station is available with a variety of game and also DVDs to choose from the hotels selection free of charge. Board games ate also in the room. There is a Bose speaker system to charge your iPhone and also an American outlet in the bathroom but you can borrow an adaptor, if you need. We had a washer/dryer and detergent right in our kitchenette..,I could go on and on. The point is that I would be hard pressed to find someone (of any age) who is not wowed by the stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Fantastic! If you want a luxury apartment with plenty room for the kids in a perfect location and a lovely welcome this is it. We stayed over the jubilee weekend (coincidence) so town was busy. The hotel welcomed us with cuddly toys, yo yo's, a wii with games, a scooter and little helmet, kids city maps and our fave drinks in the mini bar. They even brought a huge plate of strawberries as i had said they were my favourites. They have 00's of dvd's if youre tired after a days sight seeing. They have free bikes, a kiddy gathering room, the works. But the apt is also grown up and stylish for us adults. Very comfortable and quiet and a great sleep. Lounge area had the most comfy sofa and kids had pop up bunkbeds which they loved. Location is bang on. Green park tube got us around. Taxis fetched at the front door when needed and walkable to mayfair restaurants. Wouldnt hesitate to recommend. Didnt give a 5th star as need to fix the door handle on the bedroom, we had to wedge it open so we wouldnt get stuck in.

Room Tip: Apartment on side street
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family