This trip was for my son's 13th Birthday. I wanted it to be very special and did a lot of reviewing before deciding.The plans changed slightly due to a last minute operation on my son's foot which limited his walking. I phoned the hotel and explained and they assured me they would do what they could. And they did. They were lovely and had a cupcake with candle and birthday card with hand written message and get well wishes waiting in the room for him. Thank you for a lovely touch.
(The good Points)
We arrived to a friendly doorman and very pleasant receptionist called Carlotta. She personally took us to our room. Great ambassador for first greeting.
The room was super clean as was the bathroom the towels and bed linen. The bathroom light very bright and great for us ladies (or gentlemen) doing our makeup :) The complementary soft drinks and snacks tea, coffee and the ample bottles of milk and water. I loved that and for the first time ever in a London hotel didn't have to ask for more milk or teabags or water. The night time turn down service was lovely to.
The Staff during our weekend stay I would mark as excellent. Darren the concierge was very helpful. The more you ask of Darren the smilier he seemed to get. Excellent concierge.
He arranged the hotel Car to take us to one of the shows so as my son was as comfortable as possible and wouldn't have to walk far. This was expensive but turned out to be a very good safe hassle free experience and one i would consider again.
We ordered a lot of room service again down to not being able to walk around much. The food arrived always fresh tasty and at the time specified. Darren also gave us a card for an eating place very close by that enabled us to jump the Que. Again. Well done Mr Concierge.
We did visit the hotel restaurant once and the staff and cleanliness again were without complaint.
The location is spot on and taxi's should you need them are hailed for you at any time and quickly.
The doorman we met on our last day was an older gentleman, very smartly dressed. He was by far the best doorman there, Full of smiles and charisma. I'm sorry i didn't catch his name but he in my opinion is how a doorman should be.
The (not) great bits.
The room was small. Not to small but small. I didn't sleep very well at all. The pillows and mattress toppers were stated as goose down. Great if you like that but very uncomfortable for me. Lots of lighting in the room but none bright which meant having them all on if you wanted bright(ish) Our view from the window was of wall as far as the eyes could see with windows looking into what i can only describe as lots of store cupboards. Old lamps and lights. Quilts and bedding. Cleaning products.Not great for a 5* hotel even if i did get it at a good price on lastminute.com. And disappointing for my son's first stay at a London hotel.
The room also seemed to be near what sounded like a continuous generator all night long and another sound i can't describe, other than to say it sounded like a electric whirring from outside or a room near by. The bathroom temperature in the sinks hot tap was very hot, you would need to be Careful if you have younger children and the temperature didn't stick in the shower.
I did inform all this to a receptionist who i won't name as at first she was quite defensive about how no other person had complained when staying in that room as if i was making it up but she caught herself on and back tracked asking if we would like to move rooms. I said no thank you as i didn't was to disrupt my son and we were only there for 2 nights. They did change my pillows instantly and happily which did give some relief.
I found the food to be overpriced also. Tasty and always fresh but slightly overpriced.
On returning to the hotel on the Saturday night by the hotel car i was very disappointed not to be greeted by any doormen. The young men at reception ( i hadn't seen before and the young men at the concierge desk (again not seen before) were chatting to themselves and all ignored my son and i. We were by the lifts before one of the gentlemen receptionists said hello.
On the whole. For me the Athenaeum Staff are superb (mostly especially the above named) :)
And its cleanliness was enough to satisfy the Monica (friends) in me.
And hopefully the not so good little things will be looked at and changed. I think its the little things that can make all the difference. And all guests regardless of price payed for room should be able to have the same or similar experience.
To end my review on a happy note
My 13 year old Son enjoyed his birthday weekend and I am very grateful and happy about that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- By the Royal Parks Intimate and sophisticated, the fabulous 5-star Athenaeum is your home-away-from-home in Mayfair, central London. You're opposite Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace, just down the road from national museums and galleries, and close to world-renowned shops and theatres. Michelin-starred chefs For eating and drinking, there's afternoon tea (voted "Best in London 2012"), an restaurant run by Michelin-starred chefs, and a fine bar - home to a large collection of whiskies and signature cocktails. For a little "me-time", our spa offers relaxing treatments, relaxation room, wet area and a well-equipped fitness room. Free WiFi, iPod(R) docks All guestrooms are spacious with modern decor and premium bedding. You can catch a game on the plasma TV, stream tunes through the iPod(R) dock, and browse the Web with free WiFi, all while sipping an espresso coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel Apartments