“1st trip to London and Special Birthday Treat for my son.”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #157 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Coventry
“1st trip to London and Special Birthday Treat for my son.”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This trip was for my son's 13th Birthday. I wanted it to be very special and did a lot of reviewing before deciding.The plans changed slightly due to a last minute operation on my son's foot which limited his walking. I phoned the hotel and explained and they assured me they would do what they could. And they did. They were lovely and had a cupcake with candle and birthday card with hand written message and get well wishes waiting in the room for him. Thank you for a lovely touch.
(The good Points)
We arrived to a friendly doorman and very pleasant receptionist called Carlotta. She personally took us to our room. Great ambassador for first greeting.
The room was super clean as was the bathroom the towels and bed linen. The bathroom light very bright and great for us ladies (or gentlemen) doing our makeup :) The complementary soft drinks and snacks tea, coffee and the ample bottles of milk and water. I loved that and for the first time ever in a London hotel didn't have to ask for more milk or teabags or water. The night time turn down service was lovely to.
The Staff during our weekend stay I would mark as excellent. Darren the concierge was very helpful. The more you ask of Darren the smilier he seemed to get. Excellent concierge.
He arranged the hotel Car to take us to one of the shows so as my son was as comfortable as possible and wouldn't have to walk far. This was expensive but turned out to be a very good safe hassle free experience and one i would consider again.
We ordered a lot of room service again down to not being able to walk around much. The food arrived always fresh tasty and at the time specified. Darren also gave us a card for an eating place very close by that enabled us to jump the Que. Again. Well done Mr Concierge.
We did visit the hotel restaurant once and the staff and cleanliness again were without complaint.
The location is spot on and taxi's should you need them are hailed for you at any time and quickly.
The doorman we met on our last day was an older gentleman, very smartly dressed. He was by far the best doorman there, Full of smiles and charisma. I'm sorry i didn't catch his name but he in my opinion is how a doorman should be.
The (not) great bits.
The room was small. Not to small but small. I didn't sleep very well at all. The pillows and mattress toppers were stated as goose down. Great if you like that but very uncomfortable for me. Lots of lighting in the room but none bright which meant having them all on if you wanted bright(ish) Our view from the window was of wall as far as the eyes could see with windows looking into what i can only describe as lots of store cupboards. Old lamps and lights. Quilts and bedding. Cleaning products.Not great for a 5* hotel even if i did get it at a good price on lastminute.com. And disappointing for my son's first stay at a London hotel.
The room also seemed to be near what sounded like a continuous generator all night long and another sound i can't describe, other than to say it sounded like a electric whirring from outside or a room near by. The bathroom temperature in the sinks hot tap was very hot, you would need to be Careful if you have younger children and the temperature didn't stick in the shower.
I did inform all this to a receptionist who i won't name as at first she was quite defensive about how no other person had complained when staying in that room as if i was making it up but she caught herself on and back tracked asking if we would like to move rooms. I said no thank you as i didn't was to disrupt my son and we were only there for 2 nights. They did change my pillows instantly and happily which did give some relief.
I found the food to be overpriced also. Tasty and always fresh but slightly overpriced.
On returning to the hotel on the Saturday night by the hotel car i was very disappointed not to be greeted by any doormen. The young men at reception ( i hadn't seen before and the young men at the concierge desk (again not seen before) were chatting to themselves and all ignored my son and i. We were by the lifts before one of the gentlemen receptionists said hello.
On the whole. For me the Athenaeum Staff are superb (mostly especially the above named) :)
And its cleanliness was enough to satisfy the Monica (friends) in me.
And hopefully the not so good little things will be looked at and changed. I think its the little things that can make all the difference. And all guests regardless of price payed for room should be able to have the same or similar experience.
To end my review on a happy note
My 13 year old Son enjoyed his birthday weekend and I am very grateful and happy about that.

Room Tip: Be specific about what you would and wouldn't prefer.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
U.K.
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a weekend theatre break, and it was superb. Our room was clearly entry level as there was only a side view and it wasn't over sized. However, the room's appointment and fittings etc were superbly comfortable. The whole ambiance of the hotel is understated quality. We enjoyed the whiskey and cheese pairing menu in the bar. We booked as top secret on trip advisor and got a really good deal, we will definitely return!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
SWales
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This hotel has a well-deserved reputation for excellence and it did not disappoint in any way. We were invited to a cocktail party by the Management, which was a very nice surprise, and so we were able to enjoy a free glass of champagne and canapes before dinner and our theatre trip. Highlights of our stay were the blissfully comfortable beds and the wonderful staff who treated us more like friends than customers. The location is excellent, on Piccadilly overlooking Green Park, only about 10 minutes walk across the park to Buckingham Palace, and very close to the Underground and bus routes. Some of the older 5 star hotels in London can be very stiff and formal, but the Athenaeum scores very highly with its relaxed attitude to children and even dogs are allowed in some of the apartments. Special mention to Jim the Doorman, who made us feel like royalty! I would definitely recommend this hotel for a special occasion and I would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JudyWSWales
cheshire
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Just returned from this lovely hotel..our 3rd trip..and again..perfect!
If you're looking for a quality central London hotel which offers excellent food and service then look no further.
As usual we enjoyed a good size quiet room with comfy bed on the 4th floor situated on the side street. The soft drinks, crisps & nuts being complimentary and a nice little touch.
The breakfast is wonderful and offers plenty of choice. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff either.
This is a great find of a hotel for business or pleasure situated near Green Park tube station and a few minutes away from Buckingham Palace on foot.
Looking forward to our 4th stay and i can thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013
Jarnac, France
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This hotel does not disappoint - despite its great location on Piccadilly, the hotel is peaceful and has an intimate feel. From the moment you arrive, the service is discrete, efficient and polite. When we booked in we were advised that our room was actually situated in a house in the street to the side of the hotel (unexpected) that required a walk outside in the snow (unwelcome) but which turned out to be a real discovery - set back as it was from the road, the spacious room was very quiet and afforded the four best nights' sleep that I have had in a hotel for a very long time. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Great location, decent comfortable rooms, Fantastic staff, concierge staff and doormen are exceptional. Beside waiting for an hour and half to check in, the reception staff apologized unreservedly.. Very welcoming cannot fault it and will stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Booked the celebration package for my partners birthday and most certainly NOT disappointed! From the greeting at reception to the personalised cake in the room the service was wonderful.
Most certainly not the cheapest room in town, but we were very comfortable & could have spent the week (or more) in it!!
All in all, a most special time had, and we'd definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013