“Nice place looking at the park” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #165 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Muscat
“Nice place looking at the park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

i stayed for 2 nights in december 2012 during a business trip in london. this is a 5 star place and is not cheap (so are all hotels in london). The good thing about this place is just across hyde park and also near the shopping areas and restaurants. The best thing about the hotel
- the bed is very confortable
- wifi works very well and is free
- restaurants including the breakfast room, it is amazing. the chairs are high, there are variety of food both la carte and buffet.
- The doorman was so helpful and very chearful.
However, the conceirge is not helpful - he seems to be busy with phone and not with customers. He is so busy he doesnt have time to explain you anything. i normally asked the doorman who help me a lot and ignored completely the conceirge
all in all, if you have the dollars, then this is not a good hotel

Room Tip: rooms facing the park
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I'd booked a January stay in the Athenaeum as a Christmas present for my fiance-to-be, and what a Christmas present it turned out to be.

We were greeted by friendly, professional and helpful staff as we arrived and headed to enjoy afternoon tea in the relaxing Garden Room.

Following afternoon tea we headed up to our room and were delighted to find that we'd been allocated a suite with a picturesque view overlooking Green Park (I'd only booked a standard room!).

The suite was outstanding, clean, light and airy with modern and tasteful decor. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and the complimentary mini-bar was a big bonus - complete with our favourite champagne and wine as well as other appealing drinks and snacks, including Ben and Jerry's ice cream and a Nespresso coffee machine.

The bathroom was also huge, with his and her sinks and an enormous walk in shower, big enough for four people (should you wish to get four people in to a shower!).

The suite also includes comfy sofa, desk, chairs, coffee table, drawers and an iPod dock which meant we could listen to our favourite relaxing music whilst looking out over Green Park.

Across the road from the hotel is the tranquil Green Park where we enjoyed a leisurely stroll to Buckingham Palace before heading back to the Spa.

The hotel has a newly renovated wet room complete with hot-tubs, sauna and a steam room (with mesmerising ceiling lights). We were lucky enough to have the whole room to ourselves.

Visit on a Wednesday for informal early evening cocktails with the General Manager and his team!

This is quite simply an outstanding hotel. My only regret is that I wished we could have stayed longer. Hugely recommended, if I could give this place six stars I would.

1 Thank John G
Ascot
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I booked this hotel via lastminute.com and paid £150 which for a 5 star hotel in Green Park during the week wasn't bad. I had stayed at the hotel before and knew it to be boutique style. I dont know if it was checking in late in the evening, the fact it was a 'secret' hotel or just that I was unlucky but I was given a room round the corner in a separate building which I can only describe as extremely basic and reminded me of my early flat sharing days. The room itself was not very big, sparse and certainly not luxurious. The view was of a brick wall and the bathroom was again basic. It really was like a 2/3 star accommodation. I was actually woken in the night by the cold in the room and couldn't get any heating out of adjusting the thermostat. By 7 am I was furious about the whole experience, my husband and I were in town as a treat and felt totally let down. The hotel DM initially offered us a newspaper! then a late check out (no chance, I couldn't wait to leave the room) then finally breakfast. I feel extremely let down by the hotel, this was not a 5 star hotel and I would advise anyone to be wary about booking here.

Room Tip: Make sure you're in the main hotel
4 Thank Melly4u
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Melly4u,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for taking the time to share your comments with us although I am so sorry to learn that on this occasion the room was not to your taste and that you felt cold during the night which must have been uncomfortable . I truly wish we had been aware of your dissatisfaction at the time so we could have tried to resolve this on the night as we pride ourselves in offering all of our guests a great night’s sleep. Having visited us previously , you are aware that these are not the normal standards on which we pride ourselves and I can only apologise that on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down . Should you wish to contact me personally to discuss your disappointment in greater detail please do so and I do hope you may give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and welcome you back to the athenaeum in the future .
Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to the General Manager
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

We booked this via secret escapes and got a great deal.
Our room was on the eighth floor and on the side street off of green park. It was a lovely room, comfy bed, shower over bath and very quiet. The down side was the air con wasn't cool enough for us and the fan was a little noisy.
We entertained several friends in the hotel bar which was small and sometimes overrun during busy time and some orders were mixed up, but sorted out quickly. The hotel has a lovely small, intimate feel about it.
I used the gym once, which was well set up in the lower floor, I did not try the small spa so cannot comment on that.
We had breakfast on one day and it was very good, a nice choice for continental as well as other cooked food to order. We felt that on the Sunday the best staff came back on duty as the service seemed more professional and more slick. Stuart in the restaurant for breakfast was a joy to speak to and he really looked after us, as did the famous doorman who we only saw on the Sunday morning as we were departing.
It seamed the best staff are off on friday/saturday ............oh well
We would love to go back again, but they need to make the range of temperature better, I like a cool room during the night and we just didn't get that, but we really enjoyed our stay - not sure I would have loved it as much if I had paid full rack rate!!!

Room Tip: Ask ...........for a park view if you want one But they come at a cost but worth it
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ButlerInService
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

We did not stay at the Athenaeum however we visited for afternoon tea. We chose to go there based on recent awards won by the hotel and were not at all disappointed. The hotel is beautiful and the Garden Room setting for the afternoon tea experience is very pleasant.

I really liked the way the tea choice was presented in a wooden book. We were offered our choice of sandwiches to begin with, as we visited over the Christmas period there were several seasonal options and everything I tried was delicious. The sandwiches were followed by warm scones and mince pies, all extremely tasty and the visit concluded with our choice from the cake trolley.

My one small criticism would be that, as other reviewers have also mentioned, I did feel a little under pressure when choosing what I wanted from the trolley for the final course - the waitress took us through the options when we were standing there and it was quite difficult to take it all in and to make a decision on the spot. Any other afternoon teas I have had have simply provided a far larger standard selection of cakes and buns and I personally prefer this. However this did not stop the whole experience from being very enjoyable.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cat_H2013
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This trip was for my son's 13th Birthday. I wanted it to be very special and did a lot of reviewing before deciding.The plans changed slightly due to a last minute operation on my son's foot which limited his walking. I phoned the hotel and explained and they assured me they would do what they could. And they did. They were lovely and had a cupcake with candle and birthday card with hand written message and get well wishes waiting in the room for him. Thank you for a lovely touch.
(The good Points)
We arrived to a friendly doorman and very pleasant receptionist called Carlotta. She personally took us to our room. Great ambassador for first greeting.
The room was super clean as was the bathroom the towels and bed linen. The bathroom light very bright and great for us ladies (or gentlemen) doing our makeup :) The complementary soft drinks and snacks tea, coffee and the ample bottles of milk and water. I loved that and for the first time ever in a London hotel didn't have to ask for more milk or teabags or water. The night time turn down service was lovely to.
The Staff during our weekend stay I would mark as excellent. Darren the concierge was very helpful. The more you ask of Darren the smilier he seemed to get. Excellent concierge.
He arranged the hotel Car to take us to one of the shows so as my son was as comfortable as possible and wouldn't have to walk far. This was expensive but turned out to be a very good safe hassle free experience and one i would consider again.
We ordered a lot of room service again down to not being able to walk around much. The food arrived always fresh tasty and at the time specified. Darren also gave us a card for an eating place very close by that enabled us to jump the Que. Again. Well done Mr Concierge.
We did visit the hotel restaurant once and the staff and cleanliness again were without complaint.
The location is spot on and taxi's should you need them are hailed for you at any time and quickly.
The doorman we met on our last day was an older gentleman, very smartly dressed. He was by far the best doorman there, Full of smiles and charisma. I'm sorry i didn't catch his name but he in my opinion is how a doorman should be.
The (not) great bits.
The room was small. Not to small but small. I didn't sleep very well at all. The pillows and mattress toppers were stated as goose down. Great if you like that but very uncomfortable for me. Lots of lighting in the room but none bright which meant having them all on if you wanted bright(ish) Our view from the window was of wall as far as the eyes could see with windows looking into what i can only describe as lots of store cupboards. Old lamps and lights. Quilts and bedding. Cleaning products.Not great for a 5* hotel even if i did get it at a good price on lastminute.com. And disappointing for my son's first stay at a London hotel.
The room also seemed to be near what sounded like a continuous generator all night long and another sound i can't describe, other than to say it sounded like a electric whirring from outside or a room near by. The bathroom temperature in the sinks hot tap was very hot, you would need to be Careful if you have younger children and the temperature didn't stick in the shower.
I did inform all this to a receptionist who i won't name as at first she was quite defensive about how no other person had complained when staying in that room as if i was making it up but she caught herself on and back tracked asking if we would like to move rooms. I said no thank you as i didn't was to disrupt my son and we were only there for 2 nights. They did change my pillows instantly and happily which did give some relief.
I found the food to be overpriced also. Tasty and always fresh but slightly overpriced.
On returning to the hotel on the Saturday night by the hotel car i was very disappointed not to be greeted by any doormen. The young men at reception ( i hadn't seen before and the young men at the concierge desk (again not seen before) were chatting to themselves and all ignored my son and i. We were by the lifts before one of the gentlemen receptionists said hello.
On the whole. For me the Athenaeum Staff are superb (mostly especially the above named) :)
And its cleanliness was enough to satisfy the Monica (friends) in me.
And hopefully the not so good little things will be looked at and changed. I think its the little things that can make all the difference. And all guests regardless of price payed for room should be able to have the same or similar experience.
To end my review on a happy note
My 13 year old Son enjoyed his birthday weekend and I am very grateful and happy about that.

Room Tip: Be specific about what you would and wouldn't prefer.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a weekend theatre break, and it was superb. Our room was clearly entry level as there was only a side view and it wasn't over sized. However, the room's appointment and fittings etc were superbly comfortable. The whole ambiance of the hotel is understated quality. We enjoyed the whiskey and cheese pairing menu in the bar. We booked as top secret on trip advisor and got a really good deal, we will definitely return!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple