“Fabulous”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #162 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a two night weekend break at The Atheneum. Absolutely loved it, rooms are great, free mini bar a bonus and, whilst not the cheapest hotel, it was well worth the extra money! Will definitely go back, hopefully soon....

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Book with lastmunite.com £150 a night secret hotel for our anniversary.
Amazing hotel, staff are so efficient,we are celebrating our anniversary and they made it so special for me and my wife,
Would definitely be back

Room Tip: 5th floor room 503
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank isam B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I booked a night at the Athenaeum as a surprise for my husband's birthday, through Secret Escapes, saving quite a lot on the rack rate. I was a little anxious that the hotel might not get the booking, also that they might have a bit of an attitude towards us for booking at a discount. I was completely wrong on both counts. I let the hotel know in advance that this was a special occasion, and they emailed straight back to say they would upgrade us if possible which I didn't place much reliance on.

Well, not only did they upgrade us from a deluxe room to a 9th floor suite overlooking Green Park, waiting for us in the room was a handwritten birthday card and a birthday cupcake complete with candle and strategically placed box of matches. The welcome from reception was very friendly, and we were escorted up to the suite (I think because the receptionist wanted to see our faces when we saw the upgrade and the card and cake). The suite consisted of an entrance hall with writing desk, a sitting room with sofa, TV and bar area, a bedroom with a huge perspex four-poster and a large bathroom.

Although the Athenaeum is a large West End hotel, the private ownership shows through as it never feels part of an impersonal chain. All the staff are friendly and helpful, the decor is tasteful but also a bit fun (we had little perspex boxes of toy soldiers including a toy Queen Elizabeth in our room), and there are a multitude of thoughtful extras included for your comfort. The wifi is free (although we couldn't access it in our room and had to go down to reception to use it), the toiletries are lovely, and absolutely everything non-alcoholic in the minibar is free. That's not only mineral water, Coke and mixers, but nuts, Kettle Chips, Mars Bars, Kitkats, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream in a special little freezer. There is a Nespresso machine with about 20 different capsules, a proper kettle and various teas and fresh milk in the minibar fridge. If I was really looking for something to find fault with, I could only say that I was unable to find a knife to cut the lemon and lime that we had been provided with on the bar.

Breakfast was a really high standard - a huge buffet bar with many different types of fresh fruit, pastries etc and a wonderful cooked breakfast. Again, service was flawless and the dining room is a little bit wacky and really classy.

I really loved this hotel, and although we live in London will definitely stay here again if it comes up on Secret Escapes.

Muscat
Reviewed 3 February 2013

i stayed for 2 nights in december 2012 during a business trip in london. this is a 5 star place and is not cheap (so are all hotels in london). The good thing about this place is just across hyde park and also near the shopping areas and restaurants. The best thing about the hotel
- the bed is very confortable
- wifi works very well and is free
- restaurants including the breakfast room, it is amazing. the chairs are high, there are variety of food both la carte and buffet.
- The doorman was so helpful and very chearful.
However, the conceirge is not helpful - he seems to be busy with phone and not with customers. He is so busy he doesnt have time to explain you anything. i normally asked the doorman who help me a lot and ignored completely the conceirge
all in all, if you have the dollars, then this is not a good hotel

Room Tip: rooms facing the park
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I'd booked a January stay in the Athenaeum as a Christmas present for my fiance-to-be, and what a Christmas present it turned out to be.

We were greeted by friendly, professional and helpful staff as we arrived and headed to enjoy afternoon tea in the relaxing Garden Room.

Following afternoon tea we headed up to our room and were delighted to find that we'd been allocated a suite with a picturesque view overlooking Green Park (I'd only booked a standard room!).

The suite was outstanding, clean, light and airy with modern and tasteful decor. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and the complimentary mini-bar was a big bonus - complete with our favourite champagne and wine as well as other appealing drinks and snacks, including Ben and Jerry's ice cream and a Nespresso coffee machine.

The bathroom was also huge, with his and her sinks and an enormous walk in shower, big enough for four people (should you wish to get four people in to a shower!).

The suite also includes comfy sofa, desk, chairs, coffee table, drawers and an iPod dock which meant we could listen to our favourite relaxing music whilst looking out over Green Park.

Across the road from the hotel is the tranquil Green Park where we enjoyed a leisurely stroll to Buckingham Palace before heading back to the Spa.

The hotel has a newly renovated wet room complete with hot-tubs, sauna and a steam room (with mesmerising ceiling lights). We were lucky enough to have the whole room to ourselves.

Visit on a Wednesday for informal early evening cocktails with the General Manager and his team!

This is quite simply an outstanding hotel. My only regret is that I wished we could have stayed longer. Hugely recommended, if I could give this place six stars I would.

1 Thank John G
Ascot
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I booked this hotel via lastminute.com and paid £150 which for a 5 star hotel in Green Park during the week wasn't bad. I had stayed at the hotel before and knew it to be boutique style. I dont know if it was checking in late in the evening, the fact it was a 'secret' hotel or just that I was unlucky but I was given a room round the corner in a separate building which I can only describe as extremely basic and reminded me of my early flat sharing days. The room itself was not very big, sparse and certainly not luxurious. The view was of a brick wall and the bathroom was again basic. It really was like a 2/3 star accommodation. I was actually woken in the night by the cold in the room and couldn't get any heating out of adjusting the thermostat. By 7 am I was furious about the whole experience, my husband and I were in town as a treat and felt totally let down. The hotel DM initially offered us a newspaper! then a late check out (no chance, I couldn't wait to leave the room) then finally breakfast. I feel extremely let down by the hotel, this was not a 5 star hotel and I would advise anyone to be wary about booking here.

Room Tip: Make sure you're in the main hotel
4 Thank Melly4u
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Melly4u,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for taking the time to share your comments with us although I am so sorry to learn that on this occasion the room was not to your taste and that you felt cold during the night which must have been uncomfortable . I truly wish we had been aware of your dissatisfaction at the time so we could have tried to resolve this on the night as we pride ourselves in offering all of our guests a great night’s sleep. Having visited us previously , you are aware that these are not the normal standards on which we pride ourselves and I can only apologise that on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down . Should you wish to contact me personally to discuss your disappointment in greater detail please do so and I do hope you may give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and welcome you back to the athenaeum in the future .
Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to the General Manager
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We booked this via secret escapes and got a great deal.
Our room was on the eighth floor and on the side street off of green park. It was a lovely room, comfy bed, shower over bath and very quiet. The down side was the air con wasn't cool enough for us and the fan was a little noisy.
We entertained several friends in the hotel bar which was small and sometimes overrun during busy time and some orders were mixed up, but sorted out quickly. The hotel has a lovely small, intimate feel about it.
I used the gym once, which was well set up in the lower floor, I did not try the small spa so cannot comment on that.
We had breakfast on one day and it was very good, a nice choice for continental as well as other cooked food to order. We felt that on the Sunday the best staff came back on duty as the service seemed more professional and more slick. Stuart in the restaurant for breakfast was a joy to speak to and he really looked after us, as did the famous doorman who we only saw on the Sunday morning as we were departing.
It seamed the best staff are off on friday/saturday ............oh well
We would love to go back again, but they need to make the range of temperature better, I like a cool room during the night and we just didn't get that, but we really enjoyed our stay - not sure I would have loved it as much if I had paid full rack rate!!!

Room Tip: Ask ...........for a park view if you want one But they come at a cost but worth it
1 Thank ButlerInService