“Disappointment”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #144 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We booked (as it seems a lot of people have) a last minute secret hotel as a treat ahead of a very special dinner in Mayfair and unfortunately did not have the experience we were expecting.

I arrived at the hotel an hour before my partner as he was late from work and was greeted very suspiciously by the reception team. Consider it a pretty woman moment (to be nice about it) but I felt like I was certainly being 'examined' which when you are head to toe in corporate work attire plus a black coat is not what you would expect! I was told the room number and vaguely pointed in the way of the lifts without so much as a smile. For a 5 star hotel this is not the 'welcome' experience I was expecting and quite frankly I was a little disgusted but too focused on my special dinner to let it ruin my evening.

Thereafter the room was a bit of a disappointment and not worthy of 5 stars. Yes, there were some lovely touches with the free soft drinks and chocolate as well as the free wifi but that didn't make up for the mirror opposite the toilet on the back of the door (no one wants to see themselves on the toilet regardless of how much bigger it makes the room feel!) or the freezing cold air conditioning that had me awake in shivers in the middle of the night.

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful meal in Mayfair and on the basis that we got a good rate on the room chose not to complain as it was really the location that worked for us. Had I paid anymore than the £150 from last minute I certainly would have had a lot more to say but ultimately you get what you pay for so I consider it a lesson for future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank andie80
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Dear Andie80,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us although I am naturally disappointed to discover that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you were anticipating. At the athenaeum, we pride ourselves on the personalised service that our reception team deliver to our guests. I truly apologise that your welcome to the hotel appeared inappropriate and suspicious as it would never be our intention to offend our customers in any way ; I have passed this feedback on to our Front Desk team it is important that they are aware of how they were perceived on this occasion..
I am also very sorry that you found the air conditioning to be too cold and wish that this had been brought to our attention at the time so that we could have endeavoured to alleviate the discomfort that you felt. I am however pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary soft drinks, snacks and internet.
Should you wish to contact me personally to discuss your disappointment in greater detail please do so and I do hope you may give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and welcome you back to the athenaeum in the future .
Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed here for one night with my husband and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The doorman and reception staff all remembered our names and referred to us by name which for a London hotel was astonishing, you dont usually get this level of personalised service! The concierge was extremely helpful at not only directing us to where we wanted to be but also had lots of hints and tips of hidden gems to go and visit and top tips on all the shows to see. We stayed in one of the apartments, which although we had to walk outside to get to, was lovely. As has been said before the contents of the mini bar were free which was great. The room was spotless and I especially liked the bathroom which had a huge shower. It's in a great location just a 5 minute walk to the tube station and a lovely walk through green park to Buckingham palace. The only down side was the cost of the drinks in the bar which was astronomical, but then for a good hotel in central London I guess that's what you get.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Just come back from a two night weekend break at The Atheneum. Absolutely loved it, rooms are great, free mini bar a bonus and, whilst not the cheapest hotel, it was well worth the extra money! Will definitely go back, hopefully soon....

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Book with lastmunite.com £150 a night secret hotel for our anniversary.
Amazing hotel, staff are so efficient,we are celebrating our anniversary and they made it so special for me and my wife,
Would definitely be back

Room Tip: 5th floor room 503
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank isam B
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I booked a night at the Athenaeum as a surprise for my husband's birthday, through Secret Escapes, saving quite a lot on the rack rate. I was a little anxious that the hotel might not get the booking, also that they might have a bit of an attitude towards us for booking at a discount. I was completely wrong on both counts. I let the hotel know in advance that this was a special occasion, and they emailed straight back to say they would upgrade us if possible which I didn't place much reliance on.

Well, not only did they upgrade us from a deluxe room to a 9th floor suite overlooking Green Park, waiting for us in the room was a handwritten birthday card and a birthday cupcake complete with candle and strategically placed box of matches. The welcome from reception was very friendly, and we were escorted up to the suite (I think because the receptionist wanted to see our faces when we saw the upgrade and the card and cake). The suite consisted of an entrance hall with writing desk, a sitting room with sofa, TV and bar area, a bedroom with a huge perspex four-poster and a large bathroom.

Although the Athenaeum is a large West End hotel, the private ownership shows through as it never feels part of an impersonal chain. All the staff are friendly and helpful, the decor is tasteful but also a bit fun (we had little perspex boxes of toy soldiers including a toy Queen Elizabeth in our room), and there are a multitude of thoughtful extras included for your comfort. The wifi is free (although we couldn't access it in our room and had to go down to reception to use it), the toiletries are lovely, and absolutely everything non-alcoholic in the minibar is free. That's not only mineral water, Coke and mixers, but nuts, Kettle Chips, Mars Bars, Kitkats, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream in a special little freezer. There is a Nespresso machine with about 20 different capsules, a proper kettle and various teas and fresh milk in the minibar fridge. If I was really looking for something to find fault with, I could only say that I was unable to find a knife to cut the lemon and lime that we had been provided with on the bar.

Breakfast was a really high standard - a huge buffet bar with many different types of fresh fruit, pastries etc and a wonderful cooked breakfast. Again, service was flawless and the dining room is a little bit wacky and really classy.

I really loved this hotel, and although we live in London will definitely stay here again if it comes up on Secret Escapes.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

i stayed for 2 nights in december 2012 during a business trip in london. this is a 5 star place and is not cheap (so are all hotels in london). The good thing about this place is just across hyde park and also near the shopping areas and restaurants. The best thing about the hotel
- the bed is very confortable
- wifi works very well and is free
- restaurants including the breakfast room, it is amazing. the chairs are high, there are variety of food both la carte and buffet.
- The doorman was so helpful and very chearful.
However, the conceirge is not helpful - he seems to be busy with phone and not with customers. He is so busy he doesnt have time to explain you anything. i normally asked the doorman who help me a lot and ignored completely the conceirge
all in all, if you have the dollars, then this is not a good hotel

Room Tip: rooms facing the park
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I'd booked a January stay in the Athenaeum as a Christmas present for my fiance-to-be, and what a Christmas present it turned out to be.

We were greeted by friendly, professional and helpful staff as we arrived and headed to enjoy afternoon tea in the relaxing Garden Room.

Following afternoon tea we headed up to our room and were delighted to find that we'd been allocated a suite with a picturesque view overlooking Green Park (I'd only booked a standard room!).

The suite was outstanding, clean, light and airy with modern and tasteful decor. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and the complimentary mini-bar was a big bonus - complete with our favourite champagne and wine as well as other appealing drinks and snacks, including Ben and Jerry's ice cream and a Nespresso coffee machine.

The bathroom was also huge, with his and her sinks and an enormous walk in shower, big enough for four people (should you wish to get four people in to a shower!).

The suite also includes comfy sofa, desk, chairs, coffee table, drawers and an iPod dock which meant we could listen to our favourite relaxing music whilst looking out over Green Park.

Across the road from the hotel is the tranquil Green Park where we enjoyed a leisurely stroll to Buckingham Palace before heading back to the Spa.

The hotel has a newly renovated wet room complete with hot-tubs, sauna and a steam room (with mesmerising ceiling lights). We were lucky enough to have the whole room to ourselves.

Visit on a Wednesday for informal early evening cocktails with the General Manager and his team!

This is quite simply an outstanding hotel. My only regret is that I wished we could have stayed longer. Hugely recommended, if I could give this place six stars I would.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple