“Now, this IS an AMAZING Hotel!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #162 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Now, this IS an AMAZING Hotel!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I booked in here in February after looking at all the top notch 5* Mayfair/Park-lane hotels on line. I finally settled for this as I was travelling with my teenage daughter & 11 month old baby & it said "family friendly", more so than the others on offer....

Well, I was not disappointed. The attention to detail was outstanding & exceeded my high expectations. A true 5 star offering.

Atul, in guest services (thank you Atul), had set up the room perfectly for my kids, lots of age appropriate toys for the baby, Xbox & videos for the teenager...lots of plush cushions & well stocked mini bar & a huge bath with some scrummy soaps & creams to play with for me.

We were waited on hand & foot, popcorn & cookies for my eldest, the baby was given lots of attention. The restaurant staff were very helpful, particularly at breakfast, when there isn't a great deal of room for a pushchair & a baby that likes to make a mess.

The door guys are so friendly & helpful too. The receptionist never tired at my requests.

I did use the nanny service, I can recommend this, it give me the chance to spend to catch a show & not worry. I also booked the show tickets through the hotel service, yes they probably were alittle more pricey, by I didn't have time to hunt they down myself.

Overall, the atmosphere is very nice throughout the hotel, very friendly & really great for kids.

I ordered a box of nappies & baby food from Boots on line, direct to the hotel, it was waiting for me when I got there. The hotel provided a high chair, changing mat & steriliser & of course cot, but as the bed was that massive we all could cuddle up, watch endless films on offer for free & eat the free homemade cookies & popcorn. It was such a stress free treat, really special.

Great location too, very central.

Cute little spa, very nice after a long day hunting around busy London. Just the ticket.

Anyway, we ended extending our stay by 2 nights, we were that at home...& we are returning next week for 3 nights, maybe longer! Very excited!✨I hope we enjoy it as much as last time...!

See you soon London home.

Room Tip: Email any requests before arriving.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Lismore, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife had stayed at the Athenaeum before and raved about it. I now know why. The service is friendly but thoroughly professional and everything is perfectly refined in the way the British do best. Everything is thought of. The room was wonderfully furnished, modern yet classic. Location superb. The food in the restaurant was perfect and the staff remembered my preferences from day to day.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check out the pool or spa. Next time.

Stay there again? Absolutely.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed at many top class hotel in the last thirty five years but our recent stay at the Athenaeum beats them all.. It all started when we pulled up and were greeted by Jim (the doorman) who was brilliant to Serena on the reception who could not have been more helpful, Robert the porter and a very nice young Portuguese waiter who's name escapes me. We stayed in one of the apartments which have everything you could possible require. I challenge anybody to find better service anywhere, cant wait to to re-visit soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nigel T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here just for the night, but was thoroughly impressed. When I arrived my room wasn't ready, but I wasn't kept waiting long before another room was assigned to me. There wasn't a great view, but it was overlooking a side street so it was nice and quiet.
The staff were very helpful and the room was spotless.

The room service was quick and very tasty.

The bar is top-notch too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We just hosted a big family event in London and the guests (all coming from Canada) stayed at the Athenaeum. Our range included couples, families and seniors staying in superior rooms, deluxe rooms and family apartments across both buildings. The universal experience was excellent - lovely rooms, friendly and helpful staff and warm atmosphere. Also the reservations team prior to the event was very good. I should also mention that this top-notch performance was despite the hotel being at full occupancy. Highlights include the free mini-bar (excluding alcohol), great location, clean and comfortable rooms, personal attention of the staff ... I could go on and on. Thank you to the whole team at the Athenaeum for helping make our event such a success.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonHolidayhound
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear LondonHolidayhound,
Thank you for your lovely words. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms to be lovely and the staff helpful.
I have passed your comments on to the team who were all very grateful for your kind words.
I look forward to welcoming you back to your London home soon.
Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to General Manager
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My partner took me here for a surprise birthday treat, the women at the reception escorted us to are room were I found a birthday cup cake and a card to wish me a happy birthday. The room was beautiful with a stunning view, so overall I rate this hotel very highly . I would like to say a big thanks for making my 25th a very special birthday.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MR-Connoisseur
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear MR-Connoisseur,

Thank you for your kind review.
I am very pleased that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion at the athenaeum.
I look forward to welcome you back to the athenaeum soon.

Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The apartments continue to be a sort of 'home from home' whenever I stay in London and are so convenient for business and leisure. Servicing of the apartments is good and facilities make en suite dining easy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business