“An Independent Hostilerle”

Ranked #157 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Tel Aviv, Israel
“An Independent Hostilerle”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hotel forms part of a small independent company and has a really nice feel to it,with many of its staff having been there a long time and greeting regulars as old friends,on their return.We were fortunate to be in a suite facing the park which was lovely,the shower enormous and the bathroom spacious my only complaint was the light in the centre of the mirror which made shaving difficult.
The big plus is the complimentary mini bar and Nespresso and tea making facilities. Included is water to Champagne Spirits, snacks,Ben & Jerry ice cream and more and this is replenished every day---It could make a alcholic of you BUT so nice.
We only had continental breakfast once and a light meal both were excellent and served in the restaurant with fun furnishings The lounge for tea is a lovely room with a hanging wall garden. The afternoon tea rightly won an award is served here
My only complaint is there is no tariff to include breakfast which is a pity and although excellent is not cheap.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Park are the ones to go for,worth the little extra for the pleasure of waking u...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had three days in London and decided to stay at the Athenaeum in Piccadilly, as we wanted somewhere central. We have been to London many times and have stayed in the west end as well as in the east.
Our choice was a winner. The hotel right opposite Green Park, where we walked every morning. It is an easy walk to Knightsbridge, Oxford Street,and Piccadilly and the theatres. The Green Park tube station is five minutes away.
We had a king double room which was spacious, equipped with a free minibar, wifi and a beautiful bathroom. There was an enclosed balcony with a side street view. Considering the position of this hotel, the room was quiet and the aircon effective.
As we required a late check out we moved into a smaller room for a few hours at a very reasonable rate. The smaller room was more suited to a short stay.
The foyer is not 5 star, but the deficiencies here are made up by the exceptional staff, for whom, nothing is too difficult.
As we dined with friends, we did not try the dining room.
We would certainly return to the Athenaeum as will recommend to our friends, as a convenient and well equipped place to stay in London's West end.
John D.

Room Tip: A king room overlooking the side street
1 Thank John D
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I booked in here in February after looking at all the top notch 5* Mayfair/Park-lane hotels on line. I finally settled for this as I was travelling with my teenage daughter & 11 month old baby & it said "family friendly", more so than the others on offer....

Well, I was not disappointed. The attention to detail was outstanding & exceeded my high expectations. A true 5 star offering.

Atul, in guest services (thank you Atul), had set up the room perfectly for my kids, lots of age appropriate toys for the baby, Xbox & videos for the teenager...lots of plush cushions & well stocked mini bar & a huge bath with some scrummy soaps & creams to play with for me.

We were waited on hand & foot, popcorn & cookies for my eldest, the baby was given lots of attention. The restaurant staff were very helpful, particularly at breakfast, when there isn't a great deal of room for a pushchair & a baby that likes to make a mess.

The door guys are so friendly & helpful too. The receptionist never tired at my requests.

I did use the nanny service, I can recommend this, it give me the chance to spend to catch a show & not worry. I also booked the show tickets through the hotel service, yes they probably were alittle more pricey, by I didn't have time to hunt they down myself.

Overall, the atmosphere is very nice throughout the hotel, very friendly & really great for kids.

I ordered a box of nappies & baby food from Boots on line, direct to the hotel, it was waiting for me when I got there. The hotel provided a high chair, changing mat & steriliser & of course cot, but as the bed was that massive we all could cuddle up, watch endless films on offer for free & eat the free homemade cookies & popcorn. It was such a stress free treat, really special.

Great location too, very central.

Cute little spa, very nice after a long day hunting around busy London. Just the ticket.

Anyway, we ended extending our stay by 2 nights, we were that at home...& we are returning next week for 3 nights, maybe longer! Very excited!✨I hope we enjoy it as much as last time...!

See you soon London home.

Room Tip: Email any requests before arriving.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma B
Lismore, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife had stayed at the Athenaeum before and raved about it. I now know why. The service is friendly but thoroughly professional and everything is perfectly refined in the way the British do best. Everything is thought of. The room was wonderfully furnished, modern yet classic. Location superb. The food in the restaurant was perfect and the staff remembered my preferences from day to day.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check out the pool or spa. Next time.

Stay there again? Absolutely.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed at many top class hotel in the last thirty five years but our recent stay at the Athenaeum beats them all.. It all started when we pulled up and were greeted by Jim (the doorman) who was brilliant to Serena on the reception who could not have been more helpful, Robert the porter and a very nice young Portuguese waiter who's name escapes me. We stayed in one of the apartments which have everything you could possible require. I challenge anybody to find better service anywhere, cant wait to to re-visit soon.

2 Thank Nigel T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here just for the night, but was thoroughly impressed. When I arrived my room wasn't ready, but I wasn't kept waiting long before another room was assigned to me. There wasn't a great view, but it was overlooking a side street so it was nice and quiet.
The staff were very helpful and the room was spotless.

The room service was quick and very tasty.

The bar is top-notch too!

London
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We just hosted a big family event in London and the guests (all coming from Canada) stayed at the Athenaeum. Our range included couples, families and seniors staying in superior rooms, deluxe rooms and family apartments across both buildings. The universal experience was excellent - lovely rooms, friendly and helpful staff and warm atmosphere. Also the reservations team prior to the event was very good. I should also mention that this top-notch performance was despite the hotel being at full occupancy. Highlights include the free mini-bar (excluding alcohol), great location, clean and comfortable rooms, personal attention of the staff ... I could go on and on. Thank you to the whole team at the Athenaeum for helping make our event such a success.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonHolidayhound
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear LondonHolidayhound,
Thank you for your lovely words. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms to be lovely and the staff helpful.
I have passed your comments on to the team who were all very grateful for your kind words.
I look forward to welcoming you back to your London home soon.
Best Wishes,