“A touch of Luxury in Mayfair!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #158 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Dublin
“A touch of Luxury in Mayfair!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

While on an overnight business trip during December in London, I stayed overnight at the Athenaeum on Piccadilly. Arrived at the hotel around noon, assuming that I would be too early to check in but hoping to leave a bag in the care of the concierge while attending business and dinner meetings. I was delighted to discover that my room was ready so that I could unpack and have a Nespresso in my room before heading out again. I was also impressed by the efforts of front desk staff to find a recharger for my Mac Book Air (which I had omitted to pack) and by the elegant yet cosy Christmassy feel of the lounge and the lobby. Green Park Tube is just a few minutes walk from the hotel and taxis are plentiful in the area. My room was kitted out in a manner which befitted its 5-star status (and price) and the wifi and iPod docking station, along with the Nespresso machine, all made me feel like this was "home from home". In my experience, hotel beds that are as comfortable as my own are a rarity indeed and while the beds in the Athenaeum are comfortable, I am not one of those guests who is prepared to phone down looking for a different type of pillow in the middle of the night. My in-room Nespresso machine again came into its own for breakfast and shower/toiletries were as good as you would expect. I cannot comment on the hotel breakfast as I didn't stop to enjoy it. This is a well appointed hotel and if you are not looking for a budget stay, this is a great spot.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AnneOD
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for a lovely review Anne. We are so pleased that you felt at home! Thank you for highlighting our staff too, its means the world to them!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have to admit this is the best 5-star hotel I've ever been to. I can still remember the whole experience as a fairy tale. Great location as it is near Green Park, excellent taste in decoration-from the pictures on the walls and the furniture (king-sized bed with all comforts) to the marble type used in the bathroom. In the morning my friend and I had breakfast in our room, and it was just like the movies. Silver teapots and porcelain plates, british muffins, porridge, english tea. Nothing to say about the room service, appropriate behaviour and appearance. Also, kind and helpful bellboys and reception. In all, a posh environment with amazing organisation and atmosphere. You should visit it if you feel like spoiling yourselves ;-)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this gorgeous review, your time sounds well spent!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My Husband and I were lucky enough to be guests at the Athenaeum in the run up to Christmas. It was happy mixture of business and leisure and we could not have been better looked after in either regard. The hotel looked beautifully decorated for Christmas. All the staff were friendly, attentive and helpful. We also went to the Keeper's House the new Royal Academy of Art's cocktail bar. It was a memorable visit for all the right reasons and hope to be a guest or having a business function there in 2014 as we were so well looked after. Thank you.

Room Tip: There is a beautiful meeting room overlooking the Park
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
It's lovely to hear that you were so well looked after! Thank you for your great review.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

A lovely hotel with pleasant staff. The room that I was given was an apartment which seemed not to be located in the main hotel area. The route to the room was very long winded and the route that I was taken, seemed to be the "back of house" area being taken in a service lift - not something that you expect when staying in a hotel like that.
The way to the room was confusing and I managed to get lost on a couple of occasions.

The room itself was lovely, nice and spacious with plenty of hanging space for my clothes. As the room I had was on the ground floor, facing on to a side street it was surprisingly quite.

I would stay at this hotel again, but most likely would try and request a room rather than an apartment type room purely for the fact of convenience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite your misgivings about the service lift. We are undergoing lift refurbishment to provide an even better experience for our guests, and so we have made use of our service lifts when the guest lifts have been unavailable. This should have been explained to you and we are sad to hear that this put a dampener on an otherwise five star experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and restoring your faith in us!
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We fancied a few days in London again to experience the Christmas ambience.So we booked in again for a few days at "OUR LONDON HOME",The Athenaeum Hotel,which we so love.So friendly and welcoming.Again this year we did a lot of walking around to see the London sites.
The bedroom was so comfortable with everything to make our stay just right with drinks and refreshments in our room,all that we could need. Staff so attentative.The breakfasts were wonderful and set you up for the day.Evening meals were excellent too.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward again to the next time.

Room Tip: ask reception to help you.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased that we are your London home!
Dunstable, England
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We booked through Secret Escapes and were up-graded to a king room with a side view of St James' park in the 5th floor. The room was lovely, very comfortable, beautifully decorated and very quiet. The location of this hotel is spot on. The staff were wonderful and welcomed us 'home'. The only negative was the turn down service at 10.30 pm which was a little late, I refused at that time of night and the lady was very sweet and asked me if I needed anything for the room and supplied me with a new box of tissues as we had run out. We will certainly be returning. Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Delighted to hear that you will be returning Sue!
Wiltshire
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This place never fails. We arrived at 11 am on a Saturday expecting our bags to be stored whilst we went to lunch. Instead Lewis on reception did all he could to give us an available room so we were checked in by 11.15! All staff are obviously well-trained and it shows. Rooms are very nice and London sized but well appointed, great linen/goose feather duvets/etc

We had the tasting menu (7 courses with champagne wine and single malts for £99! This is central London. You can spend that in Nandos!

Of course it isn't cheap but it is special. We'll go back for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for complimenting our staff, it means such a lot to us!