“Much better than the Park Lane Hotel next door!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #148 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Much better than the Park Lane Hotel next door!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed there for two nights this week. Everyone was very polite and helpful. My room was a bit on the small side but adequate as I was on my own. The location is great - on Piccadilly opposite Green Park.
I used the gym which is also pretty small. If you want to run, use the park.
I didn't use the restaurant or bar as I had functions to attend.
I think most London hotels are overpriced which is why I rated it average for value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Arqueros
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here a few days ago for our 10 year anniversary. The room was pristine and the views over looking Green Park were sensational. The location is an absolute dream and considering the central location, there was no noise from the road despite staying at the front of the hotel on Piccadilly.

The staff were amazing and went out of their way to make us feel at home and even came to our room with a card and two gorgeous cupcakes to say Happy Anniversary.

Overall, we had a fantastic experience and will definitely return to this Hotel.

However, the food (taster menu) was poor - we had 50% off luckily as if we had paid full price we would be very very disappointed. One of our courses was burnt and we complained at reception the following day. We were given £20 off the food bill (despite having had the 50% off deal) and an apology was given. We felt very pleased with this outcome as they were very sincere in their apology.

Thank you for a wonderful stay and thank you for providing such excellent service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing us to be part of such a special celebration!
Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I recently spent two night here with my teenage son just prior to his 14 birthday. We were warmly welcomed and even though it was only Midday we were able to go on up to a lovely twin room. Having spent the afternoon out shopping we arrived back to a lovely birthday cake for James waiting for him in the room. He was delighted and he also loved being able to raid the mini bar at any time as all the soft drinks and snacks were free (a nice touch, instead of being charged the usual five star rate of £6 for a kitkat!). The concierge was great and helped make restaurant bookings both before and during out trip as well as being chatty and fun. I have stayed here before and will stay again. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We are delighted that James felt so at home with us - thank you for recommending us!
Ribeirao Preto, SP
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel has an excellent localization, close to theatres, hyde park, picadilly circus, etc. The staff (porters, reception, concierge) are very efficient and polite. We stayed in the apartments, they have a good size, not usual for London, and with modern bath and amenities like coffe, soft drinks, snacks, all free. The wi-fi is free and with goos connection. The bed, linen bed and towell are very good. The only problem we had is that the replacement of mini bar was not efficient, and I had to ask to replace during three days.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank raferria
Thank you for a great review - we are delighted to hear that you loved your apartment!
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked an afternoon tea here as a Christmas present for my Mum, and we travelled to London specifically for this event as I had read how wonderful the afternoon teas are. The staff were warm and welcoming. We had arrived early due to torrential rains, the nice waitress lead us into a lounge area and offered us coffees. We were glad of this and waited for our afternoon tea slot until the table was ready. We were taken into the garden room which was beautifully decorated, a real visual treat! I was very cold and we were the first table to be seated, and we were sat right next to the door and the kitchen door. I asked to be moved, we were told this was not possible, I did not mind this, I understand they have pre-reserved seats so that was no problem. It was uncomfortably cold and I was disappointed the waitress fobbed me off saying she would see if her manager could help... we heard nothing more about it and continued to wear my coat throughout the experience which made me uncomfortable. The food arrived, and I was dismayed at how sparse the selection was considering the cost. One cake stand was presented, with sandwiches, and some cakes. The cakes were beautiful, and the sandwiches okay. We were allowed to try only one type of tea, the menu charmingly warned us we would be charged additiionally should we wish to try another type of tea, or require more sandwiches or cakes. Very disappointing for the amount of money paid, in comparison to other afternoon teas I have had in London. For example The Berkley hotel provdes a wonderful afternoon tea, with unlimited cakes and sandwiches, as do most luxury London afternoon teas. To ask for a supplement, I feel, cheapens the experience. Anyway, we received our bill and I was again dismayed to find that we were charged £5 EACH for the coffees we were OFFERED in the lounge whilst waiting. In my opinion, a very overpriced experience, would not return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments Amy. I am sorry to hear that the weather affected your experience, it is miserable when you get soaked in the rain! I am glad that you were looked after when you arrived and offered a hot beverage to warm up. Unfortunately we would need to charge for this, as we would all our guests. We believe our award winning afternoon tea offers a lot of value for money, and we price this competitively. Unfortunately this does mean that we cannot offer an unlimited selection - although, you can have as much tea as you like providing you stick to the same type! I hope we will see you again on a sunnier day!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My family and I were in London for a week. We have been to London many times and have stayed at several different places (including Four Seasons) Wed found the Atheneum hotel to be our best overall stay. Because there was 5 of us we took two adjoining apartment style rooms. There was a great amount of space, full kitchens, and a washer and dryer (very handy with children). The drinks in the refrigerator were fully complementary. Kids ate for free with adult orders. The service was flawless and prompt. The Atheneum is located in Mayfair in a prime location and right next to Green Park where you can see and walk to Buckingham Palace from. They even left duck food in the room to encourage us to visit the park and feed the ducks. We all had a wonderful time and would definitely go back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We are delighted to be your favourite hotel in London! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a wonderful three-night stay at the Athenaeum. We travelled with our two young daughters and stayed in one of the hotel's apartments. The apartments are exquisite and contain a small kitchen complete with washing machine, microwave, hob and oven. Our daughters especially loved the cookies, toys, colouring books and of course the Disney princess book that were all left for their enjoyment, it's touches like this that make the Athenaeum so special. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We can't wait to return in April.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Himsworth946
Thank you for the heart-warming review, we hope to see you and your family at your London home again very soon!