“Amazing Athenaeum”

Ranked #161 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Athenaeum”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My daughter and I stayed at The Athenaeum on Saturday the 15th of March for one night as a birthday treat for her. I booked the hotel through Secret Escapes as it was good value for money for London. The Tripadvisor reviews were also good.
When we arrived John the doorman was there to greet us and he took our cases inside.Check in was quick and we only had a short wait until our room was ready as we had arrived a little early. We were taken to our room and showed where everything was and our cases were brought up soon afterwards.
The bedroom was very comfortable and clean.It had everything you could want in it and the mini bars soft drinks and snacks were included in the room rate which was great.The bathroom was lovely and clean and had REN products to use which smelt divine.
My daughter and I had afternoon tea at the hotel on the Saturday which was delicious apart from the scones which were hard. We told the waiter this and he had them changed and the next lot of Scones were beautiful.The Earl Grey tea is the nicest Earl Grey tea I have ever had. It really is wonderful. I have had the afternoon tea at The Athenaeum before and it really is excellent value for money particularly as you are having the afternoon tea in London. Well done to the hotel for this.
The beds were very comfortable to sleep in and we had breakfast in the room in the morning and that was very tasty and well cooked.
The hotels location is amazing as its across the road from Green Park and only a five minute walk to Buckingham Palace and less than ten minutes to Fortnum and Mason and the Arcades and a fifteen minute walk to Knightsbridge. It is also a five minute walk from Green Park tube station and less than ten minutes walk to Hyde Park tube station. The hotel couldn't be better placed.
The hotel has a spa but we didn't use this so I can't rate it.
The service at the hotel was wonderful and the staff were happy to help you at all times.
I would definitely stay here again and will be recommending the hotel to my family and friends.

Room Tip: Our room didn't have the best view but it was quiet and not near the lifts which was good. We st...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for a fabulous review! We hope to welcome you and your daughter back to your London home again soon ...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Worcestershire
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We recently stayed for one night and we were absolutely delighted with our choice. The hotel is friendly, personal and the customer service is superb. We were greeted by the doorman (I believe Fabriano) who deserves a special mention for being friendly, professional, efficient and attentive. Remembering our names was a lovely touch and made us feel very welcome. Out room wasn't quite ready so we went to the restaurant for lunch which was superb. The tables are private and the food was delicious and good value. Our waiter, Dan, was fantastic-incredibly professional but had us laughing and relaxed immediately. We spent two hours having a leisurely lunch and did not feel rushed once. He really is a credit to the hotel. We were delighted when he served our breakfast too. Our room was beautiful, spotless and a birthday cake was brought up as soon as we entered which was a lovely touch. Igor, another fantastic and friendly employee, brought our luggage up so there was no wait. When we went out for the evening, I mentioned to my husband we needed a taxi-before we knew it, Igor and Fabriano were holding the doors open of a taxi-amazing. We certainly will be returning and have recommended to my family and friends. Well done to all the staff here and many thanks for a wonderful break!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for such a warm and wonderful review, and especially for mentioning our staff. This has made their day!
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived in London and went straight to the hotel to check in our bags. We pulled up in a taxi from kings cross (£15) and we're greeted by a friendly doorman and our bags taken care of.

We checked in but due to early arrival (11am) our room wasn't ready. We took the opportunity to explore the surrounds. Close enough to the Dorchester, the Ritz, bars and cafés.

We checked in earlier than advertised and went to our room. We'd got it through a secret deal on lastminute. We knew it was the Athenaeum. The room was clean and had decent amenities. However it was tiny! Bed, mini bar with limited free soft drinks and limited snacks, tv stuck in the corner and small, a table and chair. The bathroom narrow and the shower needs updating although was powerful. The shampoos etc not great and it didn't have the feel of a true 5 star to me.Decent robes and a turn down night service.

It was just very basic and small.

The whisky bar was poor. Stilted atmosphere uncomfortable seats and low and behold the cheaper (cough cough) whisky's were unavailable on both nights. I doubt they have the selection boasted about on their website. The star of the bar was the nibbles provided. World class nuts and olives. The deal on whisky and cheese is worth checking out to at least get a small amount of value for money (£15 for whisky and 2 bits of cheese)

Close to Green park and Buckingham palace and a 10 minute walk to the west end.

Staff friendly, helpful and a decent hotel! But if it wasn't in Mayfair it could not justify the price for the room. Wouldn't go back.

Oh the living wall on the front of the hotel is cool!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wizwilson
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review although of course I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room.

We offer all soft drinks and snacks from the mini bar so I do hope you took advantage of this! Plus complimentary WiFi and use of our boutique spa and gym.

Most guests love the REN products we provide in the rooms although feedback is always welcome to keep us informed of guests needs.

We do indeed stock a full whisky bar - we are becoming quite famous for this! However it is a shame your particular selection had run out that evening.

Thank you for mentioning our fabulous staff - this will make their day!
Devon
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Was given the corner room with no view, overlooking the back of a load of buildings. This doesn't bother me as I was only there to sleep and enjoy the hotel, not for the view. If you like a view, avoid room 214!

Room was lovely, old fashioned style with a really comfortable bed and great shower.

Breakfast left a lot to be desired! Staff didn't seem to know what they were doing, waitress was very confused when I asked for some milk for my coffee! I was handed a menu but no one came to take my order, then when I went to the continental buffet I was told by the member of staff standing behind it that I should 'talk to my waiter'. Why? Despite this, the mini creme brûlée was amazing, so was the shot glass of yoghurt, fruit, granola. The cooked breakfasts on other tables looked great, the same could not be said for my three small, sad looking pancakes with two dry bits of bacon and pot of maple syrup!

Would not choose to stay here again, there are plenty of other five star hotels in London that are worth their price!

Room Tip: Avoid the ones at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It was disappointing to learn about your experience at breakfast however I was quite surprised as we have become quite famous for our excellent breakfasts! I do hope that you give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Easy to find near to Hard Rock Cafe bus stop. The stop going out of town is Green Park / Constitutional Hill which is opposite the hotel. Great welcome from all the staff and shown to room. We were persuaded to upgrade to a better quieter room and, to be fair, it was very nice, but turned out to be next to the Service Door and we were woken up at 03.30 by a laundry van and a bakers van and the noise continued all night. We complained in the morning and were promised an upgrade. Bit disappointed by the "they shouldn't be using that door" response but we were upgraded to a suite overlooking Green Park so had a great weekend.
The whisky selection is amazing and they don't skimp on the measures. Very attentive staff. We had a meal in the restaurant and despite it being a rather quiet sunday night the food was excellent. The rabbit was unbelievably delicious. My wife mentioned it was my birthday during conversation and they brought a cake and candle to us in the bar.
Checkout was fine.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near service areas
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us - especially as a fellow whisky fan! It is a shame that the error in the deliveries affected you but we are glad that you were moved to somewhere you were happier. We can assure that this is not a regular occurrence.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Our second visit to this hotel and it won't be the last. I always feel at home here, the staff are friendly and welcoming. We were given one of the townhouse rooms - lovely high ceilings and spaciousness - a really comfortable night's sleep.

The breakfast was excellent and different - in fact I could easily move in!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We are delighted to hear that you feel so at home with us. Looking forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon!
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the hotel, everything was fantastic. Fab location, very friendly staff and gorgeous suite. The suite was large with separate seating area with great views of the park. Free mini bar - very well stocked. We had afternoon tea, which was one of the best I've ever had. Breakfast was very good - so overall this hotel is definitely 10 out of 10

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Asoumare
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for such a warm review. We hope to welcome you again soon!