“One of my favorite hotels in London, but slipping” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #165 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“One of my favorite hotels in London, but slipping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Spent a long weekend here with my wife in connection with London Marathon. This has always been my favorite hotel in London thanks to its location, room comfort, and quality of the breakfast buffet. However, the hotel has lost some of its edge over the last few years, particularly when it comes to service in the restaurant (difficult to get a table for breakfast and confused waiters/waitresses offering poor service). Also, I found the beds to be a bit too short.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manger at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
We are delighted that you chose us to be your London home during the marathon - its great to be so near to the finish line! We have a wide range of rooms that suit the needs of those lucky tall people so just let us know when you come back and we will find something to suit you! And sorry to hear that breakfast was busy, we are very popular! We would be pleased to book you a table in future and avoid any disappointment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My mum and I tend to always stay in this hotel during our stays in London.
The hotel is beautiful and so are the rooms and I must say the breakfast is extremely good.
The staff could be a little friendlier but as a whole, we love staying in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
We really value feedback from our regular guests and its wonderful to learn we are your home from home in London!
Northport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I recently spent 3 nights at the Atheneum Hotel with my daughter. I can't say enough about how great the experience was. From check in to check out the staff treated us like gold. Every evening when we returned we were welcomed "home". Duncan the Concierge was extremely helpful and with his guidance we were able to accomplish a lot without roaming aimlessly around London. I absolutely recommend this hotel. It's location is excellent; close to the Tube and in easy walking distance of Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, St James Park and Piccadilly. Hats off to the Atheneum. A definite re-do for us

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the kind words - ware a delighted that you and your daughter felt so at home with us! We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Ringwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Alll the staff were fantastic from the minute we were greated by Jim the Doorman. The Reception Staff and Restaurant Staff were fabulous. The birthday cake for my birthday was such a surprise. Our room was spotlessly clean and well positioned with lovely views of the park. I would certainly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
We are happy to have been part of your special occasion Pete, thank you for recommending us!
Mosman, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in apartment 24 in house 4 of the hotel. It is a large well planned space that suited us -2 adults 2kids. We loved the toys on arrival, the elegant sheets, towels etc and the small but equipped kitchen. Value for money for a family on Piccadilly. An excellent concierge service. My only complaint was the food - not five star. Better to walk to m&s for breakfast things tpor to Prezzo one short block away. It's hard to find excellent family accomodation and I suggest this is a near perfect optional. (Suggest chest if drawers is removed from the bedroom - would make bathroom access better and there is plenty of other storage). Will stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DebCC
Thank you for your review Deb, we are so pleased that your family felt at home with us! Our menu is designed with our guests in mind, however we are always happy to create something bespoke if you fancy something that you can't find on the menu. Our chef puts special thought into the kids menu, being a family man himself, so all your feedback is welcome. Glad to hear that you will be be back and we look forward to welcoming you to your London home again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

So by now, those that have read TripAdvisor reviews for this property, know that I have stayed many times. Trust me when I say, I keep waiting to be able to write something bad. So here is my shot at it. One of the lifts was being refurbished so there was only one working lift which meant at peak times, we had to wait up to 5 minutes! Yep that's it, 5 minute wait for the lift at peak times. That's as bad a comment I can come up with. My wife and I travelled for a one week stay from the Western US for my birthday the second week of February. I could not think of any other place that I wanted to stay so back we went. Even though there has been a few staff changes from our previous stays, the service never missed a beat. James, and John at the front door are the first welcoming ingredient to this property.Then you have the entire front desk staff, concierge and bellmen that all take great pride in what they do. It was my first time working with the new Guest Services Manager, Serena Z. She is such a joy, always a smile on her face and would never stop trying to make our stay as warm and welcome as possible. Even when at their busiest, she would take time for the two of us when we came down for breakfast or just leaving for the day to make sure there wasn't anything we would need for the day. Dining staff agian was fantastic. Still several familiar faces, Maria, Angelis and others that just made our morning or evening very pleasent. Concierge made us dinner resevations at a hard to get in restaurant before we went to a show. In fact, when I inquired, there were no reservations available but concierge got us in. Lastly, I have two friends coming to London in May. They have not been to London for 20+ years and asked for a hotel recomondation. It was an easy answer and they are very much looking forward to their stay at this property. I have no doubt they will be treated with the same welcomed feeling that I have at each of my stays. I am confident that Serena and the entire staff will make their stay another memerable one. Great location, friendly and accomodating staff and great views if facing Green Park. I will be back again, in fact I look forward to coming back because I now know I have a second home in London!

Room Tip: If you can get a Green Park View, jump on it! Never count out the concierge to get you in where you...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We always love hearing from our regular guests Michael, and your comments will passed along to the members of our team that you have mentioned - they will be delighted. Thank you for recommending us to your friends, we look forward to welcoming them to their new London home!
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been using this hotel for myself and my son for the past eight years and have found it to be perfect in every way. We always stay in the apartments so we have a bit more room. He is always made to feel very special by the ultra attentive staff there, especially Serena. Nothing is too much trouble. I have American friends who stay there now too and they love it. Jim on the door always remembers us on every visit. The free bikes come in handy for trips around Green Park. It really is " our London home from home".

Room Tip: Choose the apartments...its like your home from home.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a lovely review David, we are delighted that you feel at home with us!