“Firm Favourite!”

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Firm Favourite!”
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Hi,
I'm new to tripadvisor but thought I had to write a review of the Athenaeum. My boyfriend and I stay here on average once a year, sometimes more. It's definitely our hotel of choice whenever we're in London.

It's location is perfect, so close to Buckingham Palace and The Ritz, and it's right on the Piccadilly line so getting to other touristy spots like Covent Garden and Leicester Square are really easy.

The rooms are always beautiful. The first time we went we were upgraded to an apartment, (because we asked for twin beds to be put together) which was out of this world. More flat screen tv's than we knew what to do with and living areas that were bigger than what we had at home! My brother and his girlfriend were also upgraded to an apartment, just because there was a glitch in processing their payment. Rest assured if you are made to feel even a little put out the Athenaeum will go out of their way to make it up to you.

The last time we stayed (Feb 2008) we were upgraded to a park view suite, which I actually preferred to the apartments due to it's amazing view of the Park, with the London Eye slowly moving in the background.

The food and wine is as good, but as pricey, as you'd expect but it's so close to the centre of London you never really have to stay in. The hotel may look expensive at first, but if you shop around you can usually find really good online deals.

• Liked — Luxurious feeling, gorgeous pool facilities
  • Disliked — Front desk can sometimes be a bit understaffed.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shatterstar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 17 September 2008

We booked this through lastminute.com as a Top Secret Hotel so were not sure what we would get. To say that we were pleasantly surprised is an understatement. It was fabulous. The Athenaeum has a boutique feel to it and the room was perfect. It is apparently being updated but we neither saw nor heard any sign of this and apart from the odd stain on the carpet I would not have noticed that it was in need of updating. We arrived early at 11.30 am and expected to just leave our bags until we could check in but they changed our room so that we could check in straight away which was wonderful. The only down side is that we were only there one night so didn't have the chance to fully appreciate it. The location is wonderful and despite being on Piccadilly we could hear no traffic noise from our room at the back of the hotel. All of the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Stained carpet
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Stayed here twice in 3 weeks for business whilst visting trade shows at Olympia and showrooms in central London.

I booked both times through Travelsupermarket.com and got good deals on both occasions (including breakfast which is a huge saving.)

First time I stated was at the start of August.
When my colleague and I arrived they have mistakenly booked us a double room and told me that they were fully booked, I was beginning to curse my good deal, however the manager told us to have a complimentary drink in the bar whilst they sorted us out.
Few glasses of wine later they had sorted out the room and provided a twin and a complimentary bottle of Tattinger in our room which was a very nice gesture – especially a I hadn’t booked through them and offered to upgrade us the next night to an apartment.

Room - clean, roomy and good standard of décor
Bathroom - very pleasant with a great shower,
Breakfast - I wouldn't pay the hotel prices – but excellent as it was included, bar a small supplement of £5 per person to upgrade to the full. Very good selection.
Service: 10/10 very pleased with the staff, all very friendly, especially the duty manager and very tall doorman!

I re booked this when I had to come back to London 2 weeks later. Very happy on both occasions

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Fanoir_Adams
South West UK
Reviewed 27 August 2008

The Boyfriend and I headed for the bright city lights of London once again to celebrate his entry into middle age (I keep telling him 40 is the old 30 but will he listen???). Anyway, dear reader I digress.

I booked The Athenaeum Hotel via Last Minute as one of their Secret Hotels and paid the princely sum of £246 of your Earth Pounds for two nights room only.

I rang the hotel during the week to say it was The Boyfriends Birthday if they were able to do anything speacial, not having any expectations at all.

On arrival, we were made so welcome by the delightful Alexis. The car was whisked away by John the doorman to be secreted away until we next required it!

We had been given an upgrade and then to our delight we found we had been given a suite overlooking the park with a bottle of wine awaiting our arrival! Alexis showed us the room and we really felt very special.

The room was lovely, a bedroom, bathroom and sitting room, all in immaculate order and clean and comfortable. We were amazed to hear that they are in the process of renovation, as it certainly didnt feel tired or look worn.

I would definately recommend this hotel for its location. Buckingham Palace is across the park, and Picadilly just a short walk along the road.

In summary, if I had the choice of The Sanderson (see review under The Peke) or The Athenaeum, for location and value for money, this one wins hands down.

Thanks to all that looked after us.

The Peke and The Boyfriend (who thought it was 'rather marvellous').

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jax_Lea
New England
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We have a wonderfuyl stay at the Athenaeum!....We were greeted warmly and given a room upgrade upon arrival: a lovely room, light and spacious, with a view of Green Park. We found the service outstanding and the breakfast was, in my view, the best breakfast I ever had in comparable hotels!...
We had read reviews commenting on the need for the hotel to be refurbished, and the manager told us they were starting to work on the renovations. But our room was absolutely perfect in every detail. We simply loved the Athenaeum and plan to go back as soon as possible!

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank windinthewillows
Liverpool
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Last week we managed to obtain a late deal at this hotel.Having stayed in many London hotels over countless years, always 4 or 5 star, we found this non-chain establishment to be a little gem.
The Doorman was always helpful, carrying bags,getting taxies,opening the doors and making sure you did not slip(in the rain). So often today the doormen seem to disappear when needed.
The gentleman on check-in was very helpful & efficient. Unfortunately our room was still being cleaned,so we had to wait about 15 mins during which time we were offered the use of the spa and refreshments.
Our room was not huge, but comparable with other London hotels. It was spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed and good quality bed linen. It had all the normal facilities you would expect from a first class hotel, incuding hangers with hooks(those clip in things are my pet hate) plus a useful London information guide to keep.
The breakfast/dining room was very comfortable,with a choice of a buffet and cooked breakfast,as well as a good selection of items to order. At first glance the buffet looks quite small, but this is an advantage as everything is freshly topped up. There was a good choice of meats, cheese,cereal,yoghurt,fresh fruit - it even had fresh honeycomb. The cooked breakfast could not be faulted and refills of tea & coffee were always offerered by the attentive & polite staff.
We did not dine a the hotel but we had an excellent lunch snack in the lounge.
At this hotel all we can say about "Afternoon Tea" is just have it and enjoy !!
Altough we did not use the concierge service it seemed excellent : you actually sit down at a desk unlike other hotels where you stand at a counter. Throughout our stay the Executive Manager always stopped to chat & ask us if everything was OK and if we were enjoying our visit. Indeed all the staff were equally attentive & helpful.

To sum up, this hotel is what many hotels aspire to but because of limited & untrained staff, nearly always fail. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Liked — Comfort,convenience but above all the service.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Pomerol-People
Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My family (2 adults and 2 kids) and I have just returned from staying at this beautiful boutique hotel. On arrival, we were immediately greeted by Jim (Doorman) who asked for all our names and remembered them during our stay, I would have to say that it was the best welcome we've ever received and our kids loved it. He was also very helpful and gave us some good advice. I loved the decor and thought the lounge was extremely beautiful. The bedrooms are a good size although I feel that they are in need of redecorating. The location is excellent. We had no problem with road noise and we would stay there again. We found the staff very pleasant but special mention goes to Jim!

• Liked — Location and the beautiful Lounge
  • Disliked — Bedrooms a little tired
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family