“Fabulous”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #136 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spent the Easter weekend in residence. We had a suite in order to fit the kiddies in. I've stayed at most of London's 5* establishments, but generally find that the welcome is a little forced and the manner 19th Century servility. EVERY member of staff here were nice bordering on lovely. Nothing was too much trouble, with rooms put aside for kids' activities, an Easter hunt at the park and smiley faces everywhere. The food was very good and the rooms of a more than acceptable standard. Couldn't use the spa, as we were there to make the children's weekend. We will be back without reservation (well perhaps a reservation would be sensible). Well done Athenaeum...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

This has really made our day Dan - thank you for such a lovely review!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,551)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am in London for 10 months. My stay at the Athenaeum makes me feel like I have actually moved here. The staff is excellent, and The Apartment is homey, squeaky floors and all. The location is fantastic, just a short walk from everything. This is an excellent location to live, and I am extremely satisfied with the accommodations. I am in an apartment, so cannot speak for the hotel rooms. I was looking for an apartment with the conveniences of a hotel, and that is exactly what I have.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank for such a warm review Gregg, we are delighted that you feel so at home with us!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My partner decided to book this holiday on Secret escapes as a treat for a night out in London on Good Friday. The location is fabulous and we are aware that is part of the costs.

Everyone was friendly on arrival and we were asked if we would like to upgrade to a superior room for an extra £30, which we decided to take on board. However, it was after we agreed to this that we were told the lift was out of order and our room was on the 7th floor. We were taken upstairs through the shabby staff lift and later on I had to remove my heels to walk up the long flights of stairs. I understand that it is unfortunate for the lift to be out of service; however, I think for a 5* they should have offered the superior room upgrade for free as an apology for the lift not working.

When we got to to the room we were also quite surprised as we thought the superior size seemed about a standard size anyway and that the beds weren't that big despite promises of a large bed. We also had a view of another building. I found it surprising they could charge over £300 normally for these rooms when I have stayed in travel lodges in London with similar sized rooms for a fraction of the price.

Overall, the staff were very pleasant and the location was excellent. I am not normally one to criticise and it may be that we have been fortunate with many other 5* accommodation but do think there are areas to improve.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StephL22

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review Steph, we appreciate the feedback and we are delighted that you chose us to be a part of your special occasion!

We are very sorry to hear that you felt disappointed with your room size. The rooms at The Athenaeum Hotel and Apartments range from 21msq to 105msq and all include at the very minimum complimentary wife, soft drinks and snacks from the mini bar and use of our luxury spa. It is this combined with the five star service and fabulous location that we feel makes us exceptional value for money!

We hope that we can welcome you back to your London home again soon ....

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here on two seperate occasions with my daughters. Stay 1 was 'spot on', stay 2 a bit hit amd miss. Stay 1 at Christmas time made us feel we were at our London home - welcomed by name, special snacks for my young daughter in the mini bar and top service. Stay 2 this month was like staying at any other London hotel - nobody asked our name, never mind remembered it!
The room is fine, small but furnished adequately with lots of mirrors. I think we had got over the mini bar by the second stay as it's hard to get too excited by a free KitKat, Mars bar and one packet of Kettle chips!
I was most disappointed in the spa and the service on the second stay. Reception staff were sometimes quite abrupt and as I had stayed the previous weekend at a Premier Inn, compared unfavourably to the serice I had received when paying for a £40 room in Cardiff. The service was perfunctory and nobody seemed to go the extra mile. We had won a spa day in the Christmas competition and this was not acknowledged in any way which was a shame. As I had not paid for the spa I will not comment too much other than to say the spa changing rooms were smaller than my bathroom at home and totally ruined the experience. Too many women trying to avoid bumping bits while changing spoilt the effects of a relaxing massage!
Its in a great location and does not feel corporate but i think I might try somewhere else next time unfortunately.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, and I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointed. Guest experience is very important to us and so it is a surprise to learn that you did not feel the same personalized attention as the first visit as this is what we are famous for. Congratulations for winning the spa in a competition - your feedback will be passed onto the spa team. I do hope you we can welcome you to your London home once more and restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A couple of days break spent in Central London as my wife's birthday treat. Found the hotel via "Secret Hotels" on Lastminute.com. The central location was perfect for all our activities/visits. The staff were particularly welcoming and friendly. The taster menu, at 2 for1 was excellent value; food, drink and service made the meal a real occasion. We had to rush off to the theatre and the staff were so accommodating; they served our cheese and brandy on our return, with customary smiles. The Wednesday cocktails and canopies in the Tea Room was a wonderful idea and helped to make the hotel feel like a family affair. It also meant that guests were able to talk to each other and staff. Drinks in the bar were expensive but the accompanying "free" nibbles, the ambience and attentive staff made it more of an occasion. We will definitely return - thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff - they are very friendly!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

You review has really made us smile! We are delighted that you felt so at home with us.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Again a wonderful experience and we will be back.Like the idea that they don't nickle and dime like most five star hotels. Free wifi minibars, weekly guest cocktail parties and great coffee in the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for coming to guest cocktails!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were fortunate to book this hotel via last minute.com as a surprise 5* Top Secret hotel. We were very pleased with the room - location was ideal and we had a lovely view over Hyde Park. Only downside was the slight attitude of reception staff who appeared somewhat aloof at times. Would definitely return if staying in London again.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view over Hyde Park
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review - we are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us! We pride ourselves on our fun and friendly team and value your feedback. We do get very busy but I hope you still felt as welcome at your London home.