“This not a 5 star hotel ...”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #158 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“This not a 5 star hotel ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I rate this hotel so low because it is advertised as a 5 star hotel and there were too many things that show limited attention to detail. It has great location and would be a nice option for half the price and half the pretense. Some examples:

- The showers do feature cheap and flimsy shower curtains mounted to a straight rod. In other words, a cheap shower curtain is sticking to your skin for the whole duration of the shower (unless you have tiny shoulders). While I would have expected better than a cheap shower curtain anyway, the fact that they did not even spent a tiny bit more on a rod that curves into the room to give me shoulder space is ridiculous. I just hate a flimsy curtain sticking to my skin that stuck to the previous guest's skin the day before.

- On my departure day, I was woken up at 8:30 am from a person that wanted me to come to the door and tell her exactly when she can do housekeeping. I find 8:30 very early to wake customers up for housekeeping (and most hotels don't disturb me at all on check-out day), but to make things worse, usually some form of grunting and indicating that I am still in the room makes them go away and come later ... not here. You have to leave bed, open the door and tell them when you are finally gone so they can do housekeeping. I guess they really wanted to get rid of me.

- The internet was fast and reliable but one of these deals where you have to enter a login/password to re-gain access every time you turn away from the computer / tablet.

- The people throughout the lobby were generally not very friendly. I often entered or left the hotel without any friendly face, "hello" or "goodbye" or something like that. The doorman was often in conversation with somebody else blocking the door for others rather than open the door. My check-in was routine and un-personal, same for my check-out. I really did not get the feeling that anyone genuinely cared about having me as a customer. I do work for an American tech company with no dress code so if you wear suit and tie you might get treated better ...

Other than that, location is great, beds are so so, the chairs in the room are ornate and terribly uncomfortable.

I don't write reviews very often and I would not have bothered about these things on a 2 or 3 star hotel for half the price but somehow it irks me if a hotel positions itself that highly with not real attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment and hope that you brought this to our attention during your stay so that we were able to respond and tailor your experience. I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly via info@athenaeumhotel.com, so that we can restore your faith in us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Stoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I recently stayed in an appartment at the Athenaeum for four nights, the rooms of which were spacious and very well appointed and maintained. The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful which made for a very comfortable and memorable stay. The breakfast was of a high quality, with a wide selction of fresh and tasty food. We will definitely return and I recommend this hotel for anyone visiting London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your warm review. We are delighted to hear that you want to return to your London home!
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Good and really central location on Piccadilly, nice view to Green Park from sixth floor and decent sized room. When staying in London I can hardly ask more. The decoration of the room was bit late 90ish though definitely done much later. When I arrived I was bit worried that Piccadilly traffic might make the sleeping problematic but this was not an usual English building. Soundproofing was good and I did not pay any attention to traffic. Room was clean and non-alcohol services of the minibar were complimentary. Hotel personnel was service oriented. I found out that hotel also has apartments and I will surely consider those as alternative when I'm next time in London with my family. I did not use restaurant service so unfortunately I'm not capable of rating them or the bar. Only minus was that one of the two elevators was under renovation during my visit and that caused some challenges but nothing that was intolerable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review Henry, and for your patience during our lift maintenance. We are always working towards improving the five star London home experience for our guests, of which the lift maintenance is a part of. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and i love staying here, we use about 3-4 times a year when we go to London for a special occasion. It could be that we're getting used to it, but it doesn't feel quite as amazing as it once did. On arrival reception was busy and there was a slight delay getting to our room. Only one lift was working which meant longish delays. When we came back to the hotel in the early evening we had a call in our room from reception veryfying who we were and what time we would be checking out??? which made us feel a little put out that they saw us as intruders?!? We were celebrating my birthday, and in the past we have had a cake and card waiting in our room, nothing this time.

As i say, maybe we're getting used to how brilliant this place is, but we didn't leave feeling as totally satisfied as we have in the past.
All petty comments aside, we'll definitely be back as it's still a brilliant place to stay.

Room Tip: Over looking the Park, but you'll probably need to pay the premium, but worth it in my opinion
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write Ian. Your comments are not petty in the slightest, they are truly valuable especially coming from a regular guest. I have shared your feelings with our Guest Services Manager who I am sure will join me in reassuring you that you most valued. We look forward to restoring your faith in your London home.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Booked three nights via the Lastminute.com "Top Secret Hotels" section. I was delighted to get the Athenaeum rather than the Park Lane which is just nearby. The Athenaeum has a lovely atmosphere (I have stayed here twice now) and compared to many hotels in London the room was huge. There were all the expected amenities, iron, minibar (Complimentary soft drinks), free wifi, complimentary Telegraph every day and a decent quality i pod dock. The bed was two singles made into a double but this did not bother me. The bathroom was stylish also but had only a shower, no bath (Again not a bother for me). Breakfast, so often a barometer of how good a hotel is, was excellent. THey have the best cold / fruit buffet of any of the hotels I stay in regularly. There was no dreaded hot buffet with solid scrambled eggs sweating on a hot plate (As in the Park Lane) and the freshly cooked breakfast is served promptly in an appropriate (ie not overly huge) portion and, so rare even in the best hotels, the toast came fresh at the same time as the breakfast, which is how it should be. Criticisms, well they could make their own bread, but apart from this I have none. I really like this hotel and so does my wife (We stayed on different occasions!) which is high praise indeed from a very discerning critic.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RichardVUK
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your review, we love hearing from our regular guests! We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I wanted to treat my wife back in March (as I was meeting her after 2 years) and I found The Atheneaum to be a great choice! Even though I never knew much abut the hotel compared to other hotels in that area, they had a special winter offer running so I thought I'll give it a shot...it was definitely worth it! The hotel looked really nice from the outside, I loved the rooms and the romantic turn-down service - heart-shaped rose petals on the bed and a nice choc cake - pretty amazing, and their spa was nice.

If you stay here I would recommend taking their bikes and duck food to Hyde Park and feeding the ducks - (all on the house!) (TIP: the bike seats were too high on our bikes and we only realised this once we reached the park so it was too late as the only way to fix it was to go back - so i would suggest to adjust the seat beforehand!)

Facilities: - Rooms were spacious, enough food/drink in the fridge (free :) ), nice view, Spa was small - a room with 2 jacuzzis, steam and sauna but we really enjoyed it as it was nice and quiet and we were the only ones there!
Staff: excellent, on hand whenever I needed anything, very friendly and helpful, especially the guy at reception.
Location: great - Buckingham Palace, Mayfair, Hyde Park, Green Park, Fortnum & Mason, Piccadilly Circus all within walking distance - allowed me to fit everything I wanted to do in 2 days.

All in all we had a great time here, but I wish I could have stayed longer and maybe checked out their food.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms and Park View rooms - good view ..and has a nice little teddy bear
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review - we are so pleased that you chose us to be a part of your special occasion!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

They definitely strive to be 5 star and the accommodations, while small, are nice and clean. The afternoon tea is delicious and the housekeeping service is excellent. They are undergoing renovations and one of the only two lifts were out of service, leaving only one small lift for the entire hotel. Free WiFi and in-room nespresso machines are a huge plus as are the different pillow options that you can choose from. My only complaint is that the water pressure was irregular and the people working on the renovations were a bit loud in the mornings as they got to work. Overall though it was a very pleasant week's stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We are glad you enjoyed your stay Michelle! Sorry to hear that the lift specialists were a bit noisy -this has been fed back to their manager.