I rate this hotel so low because it is advertised as a 5 star hotel and there were too many things that show limited attention to detail. It has great location and would be a nice option for half the price and half the pretense. Some examples:
- The showers do feature cheap and flimsy shower curtains mounted to a straight rod. In other words, a cheap shower curtain is sticking to your skin for the whole duration of the shower (unless you have tiny shoulders). While I would have expected better than a cheap shower curtain anyway, the fact that they did not even spent a tiny bit more on a rod that curves into the room to give me shoulder space is ridiculous. I just hate a flimsy curtain sticking to my skin that stuck to the previous guest's skin the day before.
- On my departure day, I was woken up at 8:30 am from a person that wanted me to come to the door and tell her exactly when she can do housekeeping. I find 8:30 very early to wake customers up for housekeeping (and most hotels don't disturb me at all on check-out day), but to make things worse, usually some form of grunting and indicating that I am still in the room makes them go away and come later ... not here. You have to leave bed, open the door and tell them when you are finally gone so they can do housekeeping. I guess they really wanted to get rid of me.
- The internet was fast and reliable but one of these deals where you have to enter a login/password to re-gain access every time you turn away from the computer / tablet.
- The people throughout the lobby were generally not very friendly. I often entered or left the hotel without any friendly face, "hello" or "goodbye" or something like that. The doorman was often in conversation with somebody else blocking the door for others rather than open the door. My check-in was routine and un-personal, same for my check-out. I really did not get the feeling that anyone genuinely cared about having me as a customer. I do work for an American tech company with no dress code so if you wear suit and tie you might get treated better ...
Other than that, location is great, beds are so so, the chairs in the room are ornate and terribly uncomfortable.
I don't write reviews very often and I would not have bothered about these things on a 2 or 3 star hotel for half the price but somehow it irks me if a hotel positions itself that highly with not real attention to detail.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- By the Royal Parks Intimate and sophisticated, the fabulous 5-star Athenaeum is your home-away-from-home in Mayfair, central London. You're opposite Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace, just down the road from national museums and galleries, and close to world-renowned shops and theatres. Michelin-starred chefs For eating and drinking, there's afternoon tea (voted "Best in London 2012"), an restaurant run by Michelin-starred chefs, and a fine bar - home to a large collection of whiskies and signature cocktails. For a little "me-time", our spa offers relaxing treatments, relaxation room, wet area and a well-equipped fitness room. Free WiFi, iPod(R) docks All guestrooms are spacious with modern decor and premium bedding. You can catch a game on the plasma TV, stream tunes through the iPod(R) dock, and browse the Web with free WiFi, all while sipping an espresso coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotelopia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel Apartments