“Athenaeum London, You can't do any better than this!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #142 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed this week at the apartments at the Athenaeum Hotel in London. Luxurious and comfortable is the perfect way to describe it! Having all the convenience of a hotel and the
comforts of your own home.
First class service is what you can expect here . Located on the Green Park across from Buckingham Palace, you will feel like royalty . From the moment you meet Jim, the 7 foot tall doorman and his cheerful smile , you will know that you have made a great decision regarding accommodation in London.
This was our 7th trip to London and hereafter will always stay here!

• Stayed: May 2014
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank for reviewing us - we are delighted with your comments and hope to welcome you back to your London home again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,530)

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

As the hotel claims, this hotel really does make you feel at home every time you return from a day at work in the city or shopping in the west end. The hotel is brilliant for families with children and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Best doormen in the city.

Stayed: May 2014
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank for you writing us such a nice review! We are delighted that you were made to feel so at home.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I rate this hotel so low because it is advertised as a 5 star hotel and there were too many things that show limited attention to detail. It has great location and would be a nice option for half the price and half the pretense. Some examples:

- The showers do feature cheap and flimsy shower curtains mounted to a straight rod. In other words, a cheap shower curtain is sticking to your skin for the whole duration of the shower (unless you have tiny shoulders). While I would have expected better than a cheap shower curtain anyway, the fact that they did not even spent a tiny bit more on a rod that curves into the room to give me shoulder space is ridiculous. I just hate a flimsy curtain sticking to my skin that stuck to the previous guest's skin the day before.

- On my departure day, I was woken up at 8:30 am from a person that wanted me to come to the door and tell her exactly when she can do housekeeping. I find 8:30 very early to wake customers up for housekeeping (and most hotels don't disturb me at all on check-out day), but to make things worse, usually some form of grunting and indicating that I am still in the room makes them go away and come later ... not here. You have to leave bed, open the door and tell them when you are finally gone so they can do housekeeping. I guess they really wanted to get rid of me.

- The internet was fast and reliable but one of these deals where you have to enter a login/password to re-gain access every time you turn away from the computer / tablet.

- The people throughout the lobby were generally not very friendly. I often entered or left the hotel without any friendly face, "hello" or "goodbye" or something like that. The doorman was often in conversation with somebody else blocking the door for others rather than open the door. My check-in was routine and un-personal, same for my check-out. I really did not get the feeling that anyone genuinely cared about having me as a customer. I do work for an American tech company with no dress code so if you wear suit and tie you might get treated better ...

Other than that, location is great, beds are so so, the chairs in the room are ornate and terribly uncomfortable.

I don't write reviews very often and I would not have bothered about these things on a 2 or 3 star hotel for half the price but somehow it irks me if a hotel positions itself that highly with not real attention to detail.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment and hope that you brought this to our attention during your stay so that we were able to respond and tailor your experience. I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly via info@athenaeumhotel.com, so that we can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I recently stayed in an appartment at the Athenaeum for four nights, the rooms of which were spacious and very well appointed and maintained. The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful which made for a very comfortable and memorable stay. The breakfast was of a high quality, with a wide selction of fresh and tasty food. We will definitely return and I recommend this hotel for anyone visiting London.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your warm review. We are delighted to hear that you want to return to your London home!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Good and really central location on Piccadilly, nice view to Green Park from sixth floor and decent sized room. When staying in London I can hardly ask more. The decoration of the room was bit late 90ish though definitely done much later. When I arrived I was bit worried that Piccadilly traffic might make the sleeping problematic but this was not an usual English building. Soundproofing was good and I did not pay any attention to traffic. Room was clean and non-alcohol services of the minibar were complimentary. Hotel personnel was service oriented. I found out that hotel also has apartments and I will surely consider those as alternative when I'm next time in London with my family. I did not use restaurant service so unfortunately I'm not capable of rating them or the bar. Only minus was that one of the two elevators was under renovation during my visit and that caused some challenges but nothing that was intolerable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review Henry, and for your patience during our lift maintenance. We are always working towards improving the five star London home experience for our guests, of which the lift maintenance is a part of. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and i love staying here, we use about 3-4 times a year when we go to London for a special occasion. It could be that we're getting used to it, but it doesn't feel quite as amazing as it once did. On arrival reception was busy and there was a slight delay getting to our room. Only one lift was working which meant longish delays. When we came back to the hotel in the early evening we had a call in our room from reception veryfying who we were and what time we would be checking out??? which made us feel a little put out that they saw us as intruders?!? We were celebrating my birthday, and in the past we have had a cake and card waiting in our room, nothing this time.

As i say, maybe we're getting used to how brilliant this place is, but we didn't leave feeling as totally satisfied as we have in the past.
All petty comments aside, we'll definitely be back as it's still a brilliant place to stay.

Room Tip: Over looking the Park, but you'll probably need to pay the premium, but worth it in my opinion
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write Ian. Your comments are not petty in the slightest, they are truly valuable especially coming from a regular guest. I have shared your feelings with our Guest Services Manager who I am sure will join me in reassuring you that you most valued. We look forward to restoring your faith in your London home.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Booked three nights via the Lastminute.com "Top Secret Hotels" section. I was delighted to get the Athenaeum rather than the Park Lane which is just nearby. The Athenaeum has a lovely atmosphere (I have stayed here twice now) and compared to many hotels in London the room was huge. There were all the expected amenities, iron, minibar (Complimentary soft drinks), free wifi, complimentary Telegraph every day and a decent quality i pod dock. The bed was two singles made into a double but this did not bother me. The bathroom was stylish also but had only a shower, no bath (Again not a bother for me). Breakfast, so often a barometer of how good a hotel is, was excellent. THey have the best cold / fruit buffet of any of the hotels I stay in regularly. There was no dreaded hot buffet with solid scrambled eggs sweating on a hot plate (As in the Park Lane) and the freshly cooked breakfast is served promptly in an appropriate (ie not overly huge) portion and, so rare even in the best hotels, the toast came fresh at the same time as the breakfast, which is how it should be. Criticisms, well they could make their own bread, but apart from this I have none. I really like this hotel and so does my wife (We stayed on different occasions!) which is high praise indeed from a very discerning critic.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RichardVUK
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for your review, we love hearing from our regular guests! We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.