“Wonderful Hotel with Spectacular Service/ Favorite London Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #165 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Miami, Florida
“Wonderful Hotel with Spectacular Service/ Favorite London Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The front desk staff was absolutely wonderful and accommodated us in every way, always with a smile. Really can't say enough praise about them. This is our favorite hotel in London. It really felt BETTER than home. The beds were wonderful and the refrigerator was stocked with great drinks and snacks. The bathroom was great and they had a better than average hairdryer (Important). Perfect location with beautiful views of Green Park which is a special Park that my Father loved when he was alive. He also loved the Athenaeum Hotel and I can see why. it meant a great deal for my Mother to stay here again. It was my first stay here and I plan to repeat it every time I'm in London. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Great location also. A giant Thank You to the entire staff from the Super fantastic sales manager, the Doorman, the bellhops, entire front desk , concierge and Housekeeping. When we needed our luggage weighed they were most helpful. Everything was taken care of for us. We love you, Athenaeum!

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of Green Park is recommended.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for such a heartfelt review, its really made our day! We are delighted that we are the London home for your family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We spent a relaxing morning in the spa and then had an amazing lunch in the restaurant as a belated anniversary treat. The spa is quite small but that was nice as there weren't loads of people there and the staff were really nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thanks for such a lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

It's simply wonderful when a hotel meets expectations.

From the reservation which was met with a prompt email enquiring about our preferences, to the warm welcome received on arrival, we felt as though we were expected and valued guests.

We chose the hotel specifically because it caters well for us and our two under 10 children; we were accommodated in an apartment in an annexe a short distance from the hotel's front door and it was quiet, well equipped, clean and comfortable. The children loved the extra touches meant for them ( i.e. cookies and milk at bedtime, popcorn with DVDs) and this made our stay less stressful.

Well done, Athenaeum for recognising what the millions in services catering to families often fail to understand; keep the kids happy and you will have happy (paying) adults and, likely, repeat customers.

In line with my practice of not letting the slight downs escape my notice, my gripe about the apartment is that the bathroom is very small, and not family size. I realise that the architecture of the apartments limits the size.

What the hotel can improve is the food; to be fair, we ate only once at the hotel and this was room service. It was adequate - freshly made and reasonably priced ( for a 5* hotel in central London) but was rather under seasoned and underwhelming.

That said, we would stay again in a heartbeat - with or without the kids. The reason? Service and the impression that when the staff say "welcome home" as you arrive, they mean it. Well done, Athenaeum.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a heartfelt review, we are delighted to hear that your family felt so at home with us.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Athenaeum Hotel is in a fantastic location in London. It's right next to Green Park and Hyde Park, just a short walk to two Tube stations and a pleasant stroll to many central London sites. I booked a two night stay here and was very happy with my experience. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an upscale and well located property in London.

When I arrived, my room was not ready. However, my bags were wished off by a helpful staff member and I was set up with complimentary tea and wifi in the dining room until my room was available a short time later. I was given a room that was accessible both through the hotel's main entrance and a separate entrance around the corner on Down St. It was a rather unique arrangement and I did get lost once or twice trying to find my way there (thank you to the staff member who helped me out of the kitchen and up the correct elevator), but it was all kind of charming and the room was fantastic. It was plenty spacious and totally updated. The bed was very comfortable and I appreciated the modern bathroom. The shower was fantastic, with the kind of water pressure you don't always get in London and the best hair dryer I have ever used was provided in the room. Seriously, I wanted to take that hair dryer with me.

My friend and I booked tea at the Athenaeum and totally enjoyed the experience. The sheer volume of tasty treats we were presented with was totally indulgent. It made for a special and relaxing afternoon. I recommend the tea.

I spoke with the staff members at the front desk on several occasions, to ask for directions and recommendations, and on each occasion they were helpful and pleasant. Overall, I was quite impressed with the Athenaeum and would happily stay there again the next time I'm in London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you wish to return. Hopefully this will become a real home away from home for you.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed this week at the apartments at the Athenaeum Hotel in London. Luxurious and comfortable is the perfect way to describe it! Having all the convenience of a hotel and the
comforts of your own home.
First class service is what you can expect here . Located on the Green Park across from Buckingham Palace, you will feel like royalty . From the moment you meet Jim, the 7 foot tall doorman and his cheerful smile , you will know that you have made a great decision regarding accommodation in London.
This was our 7th trip to London and hereafter will always stay here!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank for reviewing us - we are delighted with your comments and hope to welcome you back to your London home again soon.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

As the hotel claims, this hotel really does make you feel at home every time you return from a day at work in the city or shopping in the west end. The hotel is brilliant for families with children and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Best doormen in the city.

Stayed May 2014
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank for you writing us such a nice review! We are delighted that you were made to feel so at home.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I rate this hotel so low because it is advertised as a 5 star hotel and there were too many things that show limited attention to detail. It has great location and would be a nice option for half the price and half the pretense. Some examples:

- The showers do feature cheap and flimsy shower curtains mounted to a straight rod. In other words, a cheap shower curtain is sticking to your skin for the whole duration of the shower (unless you have tiny shoulders). While I would have expected better than a cheap shower curtain anyway, the fact that they did not even spent a tiny bit more on a rod that curves into the room to give me shoulder space is ridiculous. I just hate a flimsy curtain sticking to my skin that stuck to the previous guest's skin the day before.

- On my departure day, I was woken up at 8:30 am from a person that wanted me to come to the door and tell her exactly when she can do housekeeping. I find 8:30 very early to wake customers up for housekeeping (and most hotels don't disturb me at all on check-out day), but to make things worse, usually some form of grunting and indicating that I am still in the room makes them go away and come later ... not here. You have to leave bed, open the door and tell them when you are finally gone so they can do housekeeping. I guess they really wanted to get rid of me.

- The internet was fast and reliable but one of these deals where you have to enter a login/password to re-gain access every time you turn away from the computer / tablet.

- The people throughout the lobby were generally not very friendly. I often entered or left the hotel without any friendly face, "hello" or "goodbye" or something like that. The doorman was often in conversation with somebody else blocking the door for others rather than open the door. My check-in was routine and un-personal, same for my check-out. I really did not get the feeling that anyone genuinely cared about having me as a customer. I do work for an American tech company with no dress code so if you wear suit and tie you might get treated better ...

Other than that, location is great, beds are so so, the chairs in the room are ornate and terribly uncomfortable.

I don't write reviews very often and I would not have bothered about these things on a 2 or 3 star hotel for half the price but somehow it irks me if a hotel positions itself that highly with not real attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment and hope that you brought this to our attention during your stay so that we were able to respond and tailor your experience. I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly via info@athenaeumhotel.com, so that we can restore your faith in us.