“Amazing!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #151 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel for my boyfriend's 30th birthday and found the hotel staff to be fantastic and the hotel itself wonderful. I had contacted the hotel prior to our visit to pay for a room upgrade and champagne for his birthday. When we arrived the hotel had upgradeed us to an amazing suite and even had a birthday card there waiting for him. The apartment was fantastic and the staff were ever so friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel as the experience was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dee041

Reviewed 6 November 2008

We stayed in one of the Apartments attached to the Hotel with our 2 small children, plus had a single in the Hotel for my mother-in-law. Fantastic place to stay in London - we'll never stay anywhere else in the future. Loved having a kitchen to fix breakfasts and coffees - several times we went to a local store and brought home prepared foods to heat up in the kitchen. It was all the benefits of having an apartment, but you also get the fantastic doorman to hail a taxi or help with luggage.

Awesome stay in London - I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank TravSSanDiego
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I booked this as a 'top secret' hotel through Last Minute. Within half an hour of making the booking one of the team from the hotel had called to see if there was anything extra I'd like, if it was for an occassion etc. It was a wedding anniversary so I told them this but declined the extras (£50 for a bottle of champagne was more than I could manage).
When we got there the hotel exterior was being worked on, but there was no noise.
When we checked in we were informed that we had been upgraded to an apartment and were shown to the most beautiful place, with a lounge, kitchenette, diner and huge bedroom beautifully decorated and furnished. The staff member who showed us in was genuinely keen to make sure we were happy and it seemed to make her happy that I was so pleased - a rare thing in hotels I find. There was a card and wine, really nice little touches that meant everything.
All the staff were helpful, polite and not condescending (something I find very frequently in London hotels) and keen to ensure that we were enjoying ourself and had what we needed etc. They even reminded us about the clocks changing!

And the cocktails were fabulous... I would love to go back, and maybe try the restaurant.

I think this is my new favourite hotel!

2  Thank 3Sanges
Reviewed 27 October 2008

I have just returned from a weekend break in London for my husbands 30th birthday. I had booked the hotel as one of the 'last minute.com' mystery 5* hotels as I wanted to be near the west end. Once the hotel was confirmed I sent them an email upgrading from the standard double room to an executive room for an extra cost of £30 (making nightly tariff £150). On arrival we were informed that they had upgraded us to a one bedroom apartment free of charge. These are situated to the back of the hotel and have there own private entrances. We stayed in apartment 17 (house 3) and was impressed by the size, cleanliness, and quality of it. Ideal if we had been staying for longer than the one night, but as it happened the facilities were not required for a brief visit (although much appreciated and enjoyed)! The hotel had placed a birthday card for my husband in the room, which was a nice personal touch.
We ate in the hotels restaurant (Damask) and the food was lovely, staff were fantastic, and once again effort was made by the staff to celebrate my husbands birthday by writing happy birthday in chocolate around the dessert plate (thankfully, no candles or singing!). The price in the restaurant is very reasonable costing £26 pp for 3 course meal and glass of champagne. Only criticism would be limited availability for room service after 11pm (mostly sandwiches or few hot food choices), but if you are lucky enough to stay in an apartment you could stock up for any late night snacks!
Overall, the staff were very professional and friendly, and the hotel and communal areas were impeccable. Directly opposite the palace and a short walk from west end. Perfect location and I would recommend it to anyone.
Don't be put off by the scaffolding at the front of the hotel, during the weekend we didn't see one workman or hear any maintenance.

2  Thank Welshvisitors
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I booked the Athenaeum for my 3rd year anniversary. We arrived early to use the spa facilities and were told our room was ready even though it wasn't check in time. The people behind reception were very helpful and one man kindly showed us to our room. When we got to our room I was just blown away. They had upgraded us to an apartment because I had mentioned it was our anniversary. Later on they amazed us further by bringing complimentary wine, fruit and nuts to our room along with an anniversary card. How thoughtful. We had afternoon tea in the garden room that day and the service was wonderful. Everyone was so attentive and it was great value for money. We will certainly be going back as it was a truly special weekend.

1  Thank Katie_Essex
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My husband and I just spent two very romantic nights at the Athenaeum. The staff went above and beyond in trying to help make our last two nights special. Upon check in, the girls behind the desk were warm, friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated.

After watching the most fabaulous musical we have every seen (Billy Elliott) we went back to our room to find candles, chocolates, chilled champagne and rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed. I mean, WOW. It was a wonderful surprise and very much appreciated by us!!

We have stayed here most every time we've visited London and we will continue to be loyal guests. Why look further? The service is spectacular!

Thank you Athenaeum!!

1  Thank TChase
Reviewed 21 October 2008

The hotel was a pleasant surprise, even taking account of the previous comments. Welcome good. Room good (despite being without a view and not being upgraded like many previous reviewers). Radio has a good selection of channels. Handy location - short walk to Green Park underground, shepherd's market, Hyde Park. The size and position of the bath have something to be desired - I presume things like this are being rectified in the works underway in the hotel. Can't comment on the restaurant as we did not eat in (although the hotel didn't push the restaurant for an evening meal). Also we took advantage of room service to have an excellent breakfast delivered to our room.

It is worth taking the advice of an earlier reviewer and booking through a travel website. Luckily I read that after investigating the cost of B&B direct from the hotel, which would have been significantly more expensive compared to the same offer through a website. This was a little surprising to find out as experience tends to show the opposite. Needless to say we booked through the web and saved some £60 on the deal.

1  Thank chris094