The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
US$258
US$248
US$233
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$270
Priceline
  • Pool
2,613 results
All reviewsgreen parka park view roommilk and cookiesbuckingham palacemini barafternoon teathe main hotelsecret hotelnespresso machinepiccadilly circushome from homelovely hotelupgraded to a suitehyde parkfive star hotellovely rooman upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was a real treat for myself and daughter and didn't disappoint. Staff were very attentive and we really received 5 star treatment. The spa is only small but our treatments were excellent and we could relax in the jacuzzi, sauna or steam room afterwards. The hotel itself is first class, we loved the dining room which was tastefully decorated. The food was well presented and delicious and the lovely staff really made our day special. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mooms4u
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, we are thrilled that you chose to spend your day with us!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I rarely book a hotel without doing a comprehensive study of all options, but for London, I loved my previous stay at the Athenaeum so much that I skipped the choosing and went straight to booking the hotel. Judging by the number of return visitors on Tripadvisor, I believe many others feel the same.

Pros:
- Great location for shoppers and foodies (Mayfair/Soho/Covent Garden to your east and Knightbridge to your west)
- Hotel is small but has a timeless and understated elegance
- Some of the most comfortable rooms I've stayed in among 5 star hotels. Very modern and intuitive (no need to spend 10 mins to find light switch...etc) but interiors are classically designed and very durable.
- The concierge knows his stuff and the doorman is a delight.
- Restaurants are great for breakfast and tea. Quite pricey but good quality and no wait. They even delivered my unfinished afternoon tea set back to my room. I love it when hotel staff are flexible and willing to go out of the way for you.

Cons:
I had no cons after my first stay, but this time I have two minor cons. First, the price went up significantly (it was some 1.5/2 times my previous rate). I understand that this has to do with the season and increased popularity of the hotel, so fair enough. Nonetheless, the secret is out and the value for money has gone down.

Second, this time I was given a room in the apartments next to but connected to the hotel. While the inside is more or less the same as a regular hotel room, to get to the hotel lobby, we had to either 1) exit the apartment building, walk outside, and re-enter the hotel, or 2) walk through the basement and some staff areas, including an incredibly tiny and slow elevator. A room card is needed to get through a bunch of locked doors to get to the room, which was often annoying. I really preferred being IN the hotel and having a room not on the ground floor next to a pedestrian street but was told upon check in that it would be quite difficult to get a switch. Exhausted and eager for a room - any room - I complied. I was quite disappointed with this and would have written a scathing review had I liked the hotel any less. I booked through a third-party vendor, which may explain why I got such an inferior room. That being said, I believe that they really should have notified me in advance and given me the opportunity to reserve a room elsewhere where I will be IN a hotel.

The 5 star rating takes into account both my stays.

Room Tip: Check to see if your room is in the hotel or the apartments
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank asiapproach8

Thanks so much for your review; its great to hear your feedback, especially from regular guests. We are especially delighted that you feel so at home with us! While some guests enjoy the privacy of the townhouses, we appreciate that some guests prefer to be in the main hotel so do let us know the next time you choose to stay at your London home and we will be sure to secure that for you!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Surely not as grand as most of the other 5-Stars in London, but the room felt great with its Parkview, floor-to-ceiling windows and free Minibar. Very nice to have Gym (Precor Crosstrainer) and hot tub/sauna. Breakfast with limited choice, but of high quality.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We are very glad you enjoyed your views of Green Park! We look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our sixth visit to this lovely hotel. We have stayed here for both business and pleasure and cannot recommend it enough.

The location is terrific - direct (fast) access from Waterloo station via the Jubilee line, direct access from Heathrow (Piccadilly), or either via cab. The tube station is a five minute walk.
Staff are lovely, and they are genuinely welcoming to children; milk and cookies at night, toys, a range of DVDs and bird seed are provided so they can feed the birds in Green Park (just across the road).

Great breakfast with a lovely range of fresh fruit, yoghurts, breads etc...plus cooked options. It is pretty expensive if it it not included with your room, but kids eat free with an adult so this makes it much better value. Ditto the lunch and dinner menu - and their curries are delicious!

The area is wonderful - walk up to New Bond Street, Bruton Street, Burlington Arcade or Jermyn Street for some retail therapy, or continue into Piccadilly Circus and on to Oxford or Regent Street. All of London is very easily accessed via the tube or taxi. Green Park itself is a lovely place to walk or take the kids for a run around.

We will return again later in the year. This really is our new London home!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Marketing Manager at The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

We are thrilled to be your new London home and looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel is well situated for the West End and Knightsbridge, overlooking Green Park,and only 5 minute walk to Green Park tube. The accommodation was first class, although you could get noise from adjoining rooms, and there were complimentary nibbles and soft drinks. The breakfast, although slightly pricey was good value.
Perhaps the best thing was the very friendly staff, no matter what their function.

Room Tip: The lower numbered rooms on each floor overlook Green Park. We were on the fourth floor and there was hardly any street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Gordon M

Thanks so much for your lovely review. We hope to welcome you back to your London home again soon!