The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #142 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Booked this through lastminute as many ppl have recently as a birthday trip for me and bf.

We actually walked past the hotel a few times as we couldn't find it through all the refurbishment works going on outside.

We were in the apartments down the way and so had a lovely view of an office block and had workers watching us.

The room was a twin, and when the receptionist showed us to the room she commented that oh dear, this is a twin - we'll have it made as a double - and the beds were just pushed together. It was not comfortable.

The thermostat was set at 32c when we got there -so we had to put the aircon on, which was so noisy all night!

There was some filthy insect in the sink (i think it was a silverfish) in the morning.

The longlife milk in the frisge was out of date so no tea in the morning.

Appauling considering it is a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ss81
Write a ReviewReviews (2,528)

Reviewed 8 March 2009

The rooms and public areas of the hotel are fairly plush with well designed and luxurious features.

We only stayed one night before flying overseas but we took the opportunity to go out in the west end. It is a fairly easy walk into Piccadilly Circus and Soho, passing St James' Park and Buckingham Palace (opposite the hotel), but there is a bus stop right outside that will take you into the heart of things in less than five minutes should you feel inclined.

The only down side was that we would have been willing to raid the minibar as we were, ahem, thirsty and definitely starving but the prices were off the wall. Why do hotels have to charge five quid for a kitkat?

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ortuther
Reviewed 6 March 2009

This is the second time we have stayed here and it just gets better. Because of the building work we were upgraded to apartment 13 which was stunning. All the staff are so welcoming and freindly. The whole place has such a lovely feel to it unlike a lot of the other 5 star hotels in London. We will definately be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FreddieCat
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Had a brilliant stay here to celebrate my Wife's 30th birthday.

Because of the building work being done to the front of the building the lovely woman on reception upgraded us to an apartment! Needless to say it was out of this world. Grand, charming, spacious and clean.

We couldn't get over how attentive the staff we. They would bend over backwards for us and we felt well and truly looked after.

I'm sure once the renevation work is complete the Executive rooms at the front would have been more than adequate.

The spa was also top draw. Not exactly massive but the steam room was very powerful and the jaquzzi is well worth a visit.

Will definately be coming back!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned home after spending a week at the Athenaeum Hotel in London. Our stay there was excellent and the staff all amazing! We were treated like special guests and every member of the staff were paying real attention to us and whatever we needed. We had booked through our agent in Greece a standard double room but we were upgraded to a "Green Park view" one as soon as we checked in. The room was newly refurbished with nice furniture and fresh colours. Everything was brand new and in excellent condition. Our view was a bit obstructed by a scaffold (renovation going on) but this won't last for long I believe.
The restaurant and bar were great too. Everyone was polite and eager to offer their services. Even the beauty salon was great too!
Selim at the reception is the sweetest and friendliest guy we' ve ever met at a 5* hotel - and we travel a lot, usually staying at hotels like Hilton or Sheraton. The location at Piccadilly is extremely convenient. Not more than 15 minutes walk to Oxford st., Knightsbridge, right next to Park Lane and Hyde Park.
I'm very glad we selected this hotel and we're definitely going back. It feels as if we made new friends in London!

Reviewed 26 December 2008

My work Christmas party was taking place close to the hotel and as Lastminute.com had a wonderful deal for this hotel I thought I would take advantage of it.

We were not informed about building work taking place in the hotel so were disappointed that the view of Green Park was replaced by plastic sheeting.

I also did not expect to come out of the bathroom wearing just a towel to find 3 work men stood right outside my window.

In the morning when we really needed to sleep off the party excesses drilling started at around 9.30 so we were unable to rest.

In addition I don't actually think this hotel is worth the discounted rate that I paid for it let alone the full price. The bedroom was on the small side, the tv had a mind of it's own, the bath was so small I sat in in with my legs bent plus there wasn't a great deal of hot water.

There are far better hotels in London for a fraction of the price.

3  Thank LollipopHead
Reviewed 15 December 2008

This was supposed to be a great weekend getaway for my wife and myself, and well, considering that we spent good money on this hotel, to say that we were disappointed to say the least is an understatement!

The best thing about the Athenaeum hotel is the door man, Jim, this man is a real gentleman, and is a shining example of what a door man should be. If it wasn't for him, I doubt that we would have spent the night. He treated my wife and myself, like we were made of gold, it was amazing!

On to the hotel room though,when we checked in, we were informed that we had been upgraded from a normal room to a newly refurbished executive room, which we thought was great news.

However once we got to the room we found long black hairs in the bath, and in the bed, considering both my wife and myself are blond, we knew they weren't ours, this was already a bit disturbing. Also, I found stains on my pillowcase, this is not the type of cleanliness that I expected from a 5 star hotel in the centre of London. The cupboard door wouldn't close properly either, so this was just plain annoying, especially considering that this was a recently refurbished executive room. One of the other issues that we had with the room was that the little porcelain cover on top of the cold tap labelled "Cold" was chipped and kept falling into the sink, and the underside of the sink was filthy as well.

There were also renovations going on at the hotel and this was never mentioned when we booked at all, and well as for the timeless "Green Park views" that were advertised, well these are ruined by all the renovation work that is going on at the moment, so when you look out of your window, all you can see is scaffolding and red netting, not very timeless at all.

I also phoned downstairs on the Sunday morning to get a bag retrieved from my car and brought to my room, I was told that this would be with me in 15 minutes time. Well, 15 minutes came and went, and I even phoned and said that we were going to have some breakfast, and then I would pick the bag up from reception. After breakfast, I went to the reception desk, only to be told that the receptionist went to the wrong persons car, adn couldn't find the bag, and then couldn't remember who we were or which room we were in.

It seems that others have had great experiences at this hotel, but ours was atrocious, and we will never be going back to this hotel again. I honestly wonder how this hotel received above 3 stars!

To be honest, I've always had great luck with Last Minute, but on this occasion I feel honestly let down, and feel like we wasted close to £200 on this occasion. I feel that Last Minute should at least update their listing to reflect that there are renovations going on at present.

7  Thank xyberpix