“Great hotel and great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #167 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London UK
“Great hotel and great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

I stayed here for a night whilst catching up with friends in London. Booked through a well known late availability site and was very impressed with the hotel! I usually stay at the Cavendish on Jermyn St but decided to try the Athenaeum because my parents had stayed here and said it was nice. On arrival I was greeted by a very friendly and polite doorman and then an equally friendly and polite chap on reception (I think his name was Jonathan). He could not have been more helpful and also told me that I had been given an upgraded room (room 803 if anyone's interested!). The room was fantastic - I had a view across Green Park - and was spacious and spotlessly clean. Nicely furnished and even had a very swanky coffee machine, CD player and a minibar with complimentary chocolate, nuts, crisps and soft drinks which was a nice touch. I'm guessing this would be an Executive Room and they just upgraded me because they had the availability to do so - it was nice that they did. The bathroom was very nice with a powerful shower and plenty of fluffy towels. The location is perfect - just a short walk from Green Park tube and close to Buckingham Palace, Fortnum & Mason and a wealth of shops on Piccadilly and Regent St. Also just a 10-15 minute walk from Leicester Square. There are also lots of great restaurants nearby including the very nice Shepherd Market area just a few steps away. I would emphasise that I was lucky enough given an upgraded room whilst when my parents were staying they had a standard room - however they had absolutely no complaints with it at all. I don't think they had a park view but other than that they were very happy with it. I found all the staff to be really friendly and helpful and there definitely was no "big hotel" indifference. They really seem to care about making sure guests have a nice stay. For the quality of accomodation and price paid I felt that the Athenaeum was extremely good value and I would definitely recommend it and stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SoloTravelGal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bedford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

My husband & I just had a lovely 40th Wedding Anniversary Weekend at The Athenaeum Hotel, the staff were the so friendly & helpful. Special thanks to Diane who organized for our room to be upgraded. We will be returning very soon, thank you so much for making it so special.

2 Thank salnig70
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

This is our fifth visit to the Athenaeum in the last three years. The hotel is currently shrouded in scafflding while exterior work is being done. Finished soon. Usually a bad sign. Not here. We were shown to our room by a bubbly front desk girl who clearly loved her job. The room was recently renovated and spotless. They had maintaned the lovely marble bathrooms, but put in new large flat screen tv's.
After two nights on the luxurious mattress my wife looked to see what kind it wa and voila, a Hypnos bed. This is a bedmaker to the Queen and is particularly good if like me you have allergies to dust mites. At home I wake up every morning feeling stuffed up, here no such problem. Great timing for us as we were considering buying just such a bed, but wanted to be sure it was worth the high price. Now thanks to Athenaeum we can go ahead and purchase in complete confidence. What a fantastic side benefit from returning to this hotel. Breakfasts are served in a modern smart restaurant and is excellent and varied. All staff from front desk, concierge, bellman, and restaurant staff really do seem to love their jobs. We have seen most of them on repeat visits, and I think that too is a good sign.
I just hope my glowing review does not do too much to make this hotel much more popular (selfish I know).

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FansofEurope
Brighton, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

Booked this through lastminute as many ppl have recently as a birthday trip for me and bf.

We actually walked past the hotel a few times as we couldn't find it through all the refurbishment works going on outside.

We were in the apartments down the way and so had a lovely view of an office block and had workers watching us.

The room was a twin, and when the receptionist showed us to the room she commented that oh dear, this is a twin - we'll have it made as a double - and the beds were just pushed together. It was not comfortable.

The thermostat was set at 32c when we got there -so we had to put the aircon on, which was so noisy all night!

There was some filthy insect in the sink (i think it was a silverfish) in the morning.

The longlife milk in the frisge was out of date so no tea in the morning.

Appauling considering it is a 5 star hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ss81
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

The rooms and public areas of the hotel are fairly plush with well designed and luxurious features.

We only stayed one night before flying overseas but we took the opportunity to go out in the west end. It is a fairly easy walk into Piccadilly Circus and Soho, passing St James' Park and Buckingham Palace (opposite the hotel), but there is a bus stop right outside that will take you into the heart of things in less than five minutes should you feel inclined.

The only down side was that we would have been willing to raid the minibar as we were, ahem, thirsty and definitely starving but the prices were off the wall. Why do hotels have to charge five quid for a kitkat?

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ortuther
Beverley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

This is the second time we have stayed here and it just gets better. Because of the building work we were upgraded to apartment 13 which was stunning. All the staff are so welcoming and freindly. The whole place has such a lovely feel to it unlike a lot of the other 5 star hotels in London. We will definately be staying here again.

1 Thank FreddieCat
cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

Had a brilliant stay here to celebrate my Wife's 30th birthday.

Because of the building work being done to the front of the building the lovely woman on reception upgraded us to an apartment! Needless to say it was out of this world. Grand, charming, spacious and clean.

We couldn't get over how attentive the staff we. They would bend over backwards for us and we felt well and truly looked after.

I'm sure once the renevation work is complete the Executive rooms at the front would have been more than adequate.

The spa was also top draw. Not exactly massive but the steam room was very powerful and the jaquzzi is well worth a visit.

Will definately be coming back!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)