“THE ATHENAEUM-Amazing London Apartment/hotel!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #148 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful family trip to London, Spain, France and Italy (I will write reviews for all of our "finds"! For the London portion of our trip, we stayed at The Athenaeum Hotel and Apartments. We are a family of five (three teens) along with my mother who met us in London for five days! LOCATION-Unbelievably perfect...located just down the street from The Ritz on Piccadilly! Cross the street from the hotel and you are in Green Park (we enjoyed a picnic dinner in the park on our last night!) Walk thru the park and you are standing right in front of Buckingham Palace! Cross the street (from the hotel) and walk less than a block and you are at Green Park Tube station! Look out one of your windows and see a picture perfect London street with a little church at the end! APPEARANCE-gorgeous, elegant Manhattan style apartment building (they also have a hotel at the front of the building). Beautiful flower boxes welcome you as you enter the oversized shiny black front door and foyer with an inlaid tile floor. The high ceilinged rooms that house the living room (w/a fireplace surrounded by an elegant mantel- (it was well into the 90's, so it was not used), bedroom, eating room, and bathrooms are traditionally decorated with gorgeous damask fabric curtains. The kitchen allowed us to shop at Mark and Spencer (great London grocery store about a block away) and prepare breakfasts and sometimes dinner on our own schedule. The washing machine came in handy as well! THE STAFF- they became dear family friends to our family! Serena, John, April, Emma, and Tom (and every other employee I may be forgetting) were the sweetest, most helpful people while we stayed in London. Our oldest celebrated his birthday while we were in London and Serena helped make it a special day for him! The Hard Rock Cafe is just down the street as well! Our kids are in love with London and look forward to returning...be it for pleasure, study or living!! All of us were a bit sad to leave our home away from home on our last day! I truly believe our children's love for London comes in part from their stay at the Athenaeum.

4  Thank jlibean

Reviewed 9 July 2009

I attended a business meeting here recently. From the very first enquiry, right through to when we left the Hotel, the service was second to none! The rooms we booked were exactly as described, if not better! I cannot rate The Athenaeum highly enough!

All, and I mean ALL staff we encountered were the epitome of excellence.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank doolally_w7
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in a 1 bedroom apartment. The service was wonderful - warm and helpful from the moment we walked into the lobby! Compared to the light-filled hotel rooms (which face Green Park) the apartments are a little dark as they face a narrow streetfront. However, they were very comfortable and spacious, and it was a lovely touch that there were books and toys for our young child in the apartment upon our arrival. The kitchenette was adequate for a few days' stay However, it could really do with a microwave, especially for families with young children who need to warm up milk several times a day and don't want to be standing over a stove. I learned later that the Athenaeum has a sister property of serviced apartments at 23 Greengarden House near Oxford Street which looks better equipped for longer stays, so I may well check that out next time. The location of the Athenaeum is pretty unbeatable though - walking distance to pretty much everywhere one would want to visit in central London, assuming the weather cooperates!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Lindfield
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We rented a 1-bedroom apartment within 24 hours notice. Quite spacious apartments in the heart of London in Mayfair - just a 5 minute walk from Green Park tube station. Diana and Serena in guest relations are simply superb.

After having traveled for nearly 60 days in Europe over three trips, I have now a fairly decent sense of hotels and so even though I really like this hotel, I am rating it the way it is - my overall impression is favorable but specifics of the hotel left me wanting a bit. The wifi here also has some issues - serviced by a company called WiFiSpark - I sent them an email with issues (does not work on iphone and does not support facebook) and it took them only 7 days to write back to me.

The price is high and perhaps the value is low. We decided to stay at the 196 Bishopsgate for the second half of our trip - I will post a review when the trip ends.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank FrequentFunTraveler
Reviewed 27 June 2009

The Athenaeum is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. We were staying in a suite on the 7th floor, overlooking Green Park and it was simply divine. Our suite had everything ready and in perfect working order to make our stay comfortable and the staff were very efficient and helpful, going out of their way to make sure we were happy and well looked after.

The bed was luxuriously comfortable, with soft, freshly washed linen and our suite also featured a walk in double shower in the bathroom, including a bath with a huge mirrored wall, which gave a sense of spaciousness. All the rooms in the suite were very large in comparrison to other London hotels and this made us feel very at home and comfortable during our stay.

The room service is very quick and efficient and the food is delicious. After returning from a show rather late at night I was incredibly hungry so ordered up some food, it arrived to my room promptly and the dining staff were very helpful and professional.

I would definitely stay at The Athenaeum again and am also considering booking my parents a weekend stay for their anniversary.

A delightful hotel that is both exceedingly beautiful and up market, but also comfortable and homely, a real gem!!.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank morosity
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Welcome home. That’s the Athenaeum’s motto when you walk in the door. And, boy, do they life up to that statement. This really does become your HOME while in London. I struck up conversations with most of the doormen, who were all top-notch. They would see me walking from a far and wave. There was also EXCELLENT service everywhere else as well. The front desk man who checked me in and escorted me to my room would see me occasionally during my stay and approach me, call me by name, and ask me if everything was OK. “Do you need anything?” And the politeness and courtesy never seemed forced or pressured. It seemed like they really, genuinely cared about my needs and my experience at their hotel. The room was large and very comfy. And the soft drinks, water, and snacks in the mini bar were all complementary…something I have NEVER, EVER seen in London before. Would I say here again? In a heartbeat. Welcome home is right!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank ceeceerose
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We wanted a reasonably priced stay because we were going to dinner at Claridges and booked direct with the hotel because they were offering the same price as Laterooms.com. I mentioned it was my husband's 40th birthday and didn't think anymore of it. They greeted us warmly and then mentioned that they had upgraded us free of charge which was a pleasant surprise. Checking in was super quick and the lady then gave us a quick guided tour of the hotel's facilities then showed us to our lovely bedroom. Soft drinks and snacks were free and there was also a coffee machine (and tea/coffee making facilities) with fresh milk in the fridge. So many little thoughful extras that will make us want to go back! The hotel has undergone a major refurbishment and it's gorgeous. The attention to detail is brilliant, my husband went home wanting to change everything in our house. We have stayed in many hotels in London and throughout the country and this is the first time we have bothered to review one. The service was excellent and basically we could not fault our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple