“Wonderful Service and Perfect Location”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #151 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed four nights in a 2BR/2BA apt (actually two one bedroom apartments opened up to connect). We had terrific service the entire time from all of the staff- -desk, door, bell, concierge, even when my temper flared over the DVD and airconditioning. This was clearly 5 star service. Any time we asked for ice, or anything, someone arrived very promptly. Ditto previous poster regarding location- -could not be better. I would also mention that the Shepherd's Square area of Mayfair is a three minute walk from the apartments and is a great place to grab a late breakfast or visit a pub.

The rooms were nicely furnished and housekeeping was very good. Our apartment could have used a little fresh paint and carpet, and a microwave. Also, one side of our apartment had a strangely controlled air conditioning unit and I had to call for help with it. Later, I discovered a laminated card in the drawer of one of the tables that explained its use. I'm sure a previous occupant had put the card in a drawer. However, it was really handy to have the small washer/dryer unit in the kitchen, and the concierge had placed an XBOX in the unit for my son. We had plenty of space to spread out. The apartment felt like a home away from home.

We had one breakfast in the hotel and it was fabulous, and quite expensive. The restaurant was very stylishly decorated and appeared to be very popular.

I would definitely return and recommend it to anyone looking for an apartment, but also with the service of a fine hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Rileypenny

Reviewed 21 July 2009

I first had the pleasure of staying at the Athenaeum approx 4 years ago, and having stayed in numerous other establishments over the years I have found nowhere that comes close. From the moment you approach the main doors, either John or Jim are there to welcome you, in a manner that goes beyond simple politeness, the welcome feels as genuine as it possibly could be. Reception staff have at all times been polite, friendly and efficient. The rooms are always well presented and the recent refurbishment is testimony to the owners determination to keep this hotel at the top of its game. Unlike many hotels who let their rooms become worn and tired to the point that they almost scream "refurb" at you as you enter...I've yet to see a room that I would have considered in need of any works whatsoever, hence my suprise that works were being carried out throughout the establishment!

My only gripe in the older rooms was the size of the bath, that now seems to be remedied and certainly feels more comfortable...not sure where the extra space has been stolen from though!

The park view rooms feature floor to ceiling opening doors with views of....and from higher floors...over, Green Park and Piccadilly.

Complementary soft drinks, mini bar snacks, tea, coffee and hot chocolate add to the experience, that whilst representing no "great" cost for any hotel, its just something that you don't normally see provided ...but do normally pay unreasonable charges for. Well done Athenaeum management for that little touch.

The Whisky Bar has a warm and friendly ambience and is very welcoming after a late night. Its the only bar that I have seen the Arran Malt on sale, and as I refuse to open my own bottle of Founders Reserve for sentimental reasons, I get to sample it at the Athenaeum! Again, service is always polite and friendly.

If I had to look for any faults, perhaps a cd player in the room, a tv with a sleep timer, less complex lighting (feels good once its sussed out) and the return of the Neutrogena Rainbath shower gel....but all very minor and really wouldn't stop me from recommending it to anyone....OH and there's always an adequate number of coat hangers and a working iron and often a copy of Time Out or a Whats On magazine in the rooms!

Externally the addition of the living wall is something to behold and sets the Athenaeum apart as host to the first such wall in London!

All great stuff and looking forward to the next visit.

Glenn.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TonyLonsdale
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful family trip to London, Spain, France and Italy (I will write reviews for all of our "finds"! For the London portion of our trip, we stayed at The Athenaeum Hotel and Apartments. We are a family of five (three teens) along with my mother who met us in London for five days! LOCATION-Unbelievably perfect...located just down the street from The Ritz on Piccadilly! Cross the street from the hotel and you are in Green Park (we enjoyed a picnic dinner in the park on our last night!) Walk thru the park and you are standing right in front of Buckingham Palace! Cross the street (from the hotel) and walk less than a block and you are at Green Park Tube station! Look out one of your windows and see a picture perfect London street with a little church at the end! APPEARANCE-gorgeous, elegant Manhattan style apartment building (they also have a hotel at the front of the building). Beautiful flower boxes welcome you as you enter the oversized shiny black front door and foyer with an inlaid tile floor. The high ceilinged rooms that house the living room (w/a fireplace surrounded by an elegant mantel- (it was well into the 90's, so it was not used), bedroom, eating room, and bathrooms are traditionally decorated with gorgeous damask fabric curtains. The kitchen allowed us to shop at Mark and Spencer (great London grocery store about a block away) and prepare breakfasts and sometimes dinner on our own schedule. The washing machine came in handy as well! THE STAFF- they became dear family friends to our family! Serena, John, April, Emma, and Tom (and every other employee I may be forgetting) were the sweetest, most helpful people while we stayed in London. Our oldest celebrated his birthday while we were in London and Serena helped make it a special day for him! The Hard Rock Cafe is just down the street as well! Our kids are in love with London and look forward to returning...be it for pleasure, study or living!! All of us were a bit sad to leave our home away from home on our last day! I truly believe our children's love for London comes in part from their stay at the Athenaeum.

4  Thank jlibean
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I attended a business meeting here recently. From the very first enquiry, right through to when we left the Hotel, the service was second to none! The rooms we booked were exactly as described, if not better! I cannot rate The Athenaeum highly enough!

All, and I mean ALL staff we encountered were the epitome of excellence.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank doolally_w7
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in a 1 bedroom apartment. The service was wonderful - warm and helpful from the moment we walked into the lobby! Compared to the light-filled hotel rooms (which face Green Park) the apartments are a little dark as they face a narrow streetfront. However, they were very comfortable and spacious, and it was a lovely touch that there were books and toys for our young child in the apartment upon our arrival. The kitchenette was adequate for a few days' stay However, it could really do with a microwave, especially for families with young children who need to warm up milk several times a day and don't want to be standing over a stove. I learned later that the Athenaeum has a sister property of serviced apartments at 23 Greengarden House near Oxford Street which looks better equipped for longer stays, so I may well check that out next time. The location of the Athenaeum is pretty unbeatable though - walking distance to pretty much everywhere one would want to visit in central London, assuming the weather cooperates!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Lindfield
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We rented a 1-bedroom apartment within 24 hours notice. Quite spacious apartments in the heart of London in Mayfair - just a 5 minute walk from Green Park tube station. Diana and Serena in guest relations are simply superb.

After having traveled for nearly 60 days in Europe over three trips, I have now a fairly decent sense of hotels and so even though I really like this hotel, I am rating it the way it is - my overall impression is favorable but specifics of the hotel left me wanting a bit. The wifi here also has some issues - serviced by a company called WiFiSpark - I sent them an email with issues (does not work on iphone and does not support facebook) and it took them only 7 days to write back to me.

The price is high and perhaps the value is low. We decided to stay at the 196 Bishopsgate for the second half of our trip - I will post a review when the trip ends.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank FrequentFunTraveler
Reviewed 27 June 2009

The Athenaeum is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. We were staying in a suite on the 7th floor, overlooking Green Park and it was simply divine. Our suite had everything ready and in perfect working order to make our stay comfortable and the staff were very efficient and helpful, going out of their way to make sure we were happy and well looked after.

The bed was luxuriously comfortable, with soft, freshly washed linen and our suite also featured a walk in double shower in the bathroom, including a bath with a huge mirrored wall, which gave a sense of spaciousness. All the rooms in the suite were very large in comparrison to other London hotels and this made us feel very at home and comfortable during our stay.

The room service is very quick and efficient and the food is delicious. After returning from a show rather late at night I was incredibly hungry so ordered up some food, it arrived to my room promptly and the dining staff were very helpful and professional.

I would definitely stay at The Athenaeum again and am also considering booking my parents a weekend stay for their anniversary.

A delightful hotel that is both exceedingly beautiful and up market, but also comfortable and homely, a real gem!!.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends