“Best hotel in London!”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #143 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This is the best place I have ever stayed in when in London. The staff are fantastic and always able to help. The rooms were perfect and much larger than most London hotels, plus they are equipped with everything you could possibly need. The location is perfect for walking or catching the subway as Green Park station is right there. My friend and I had the most pleasant experience and i would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,531)

Reviewed 25 October 2009

This is a boutique style hotel, newly refurbished so everything is pristine, lots of glass and light being used to good effect to create a sense of space. Well located about 2 mins walk to Green Park Station. Lovely comfortable rooms with every facility incl. an iPod dock, although not an LED clock somewhere in the room which would have been handy as I can't see my watch in the dark!.

Luxurious if small bathroom with fluffy new white robes, (slippers delivered at turndown time), and great view onto Green Park and beyond. A special feature is the staff who are charming and helpful. Table d'hote dinner is good value, for London, with prices at £22 for 2 courses, £27 for 3. Breakfast is expensive but the quality was great. It was a pleasure to find a mini bar where soft drinks and snacks were not charged for at a hefty rate, being free. We liked the Whisky lounge with its mellow atmosphere for the evenings, and the Garden Room is a nice spot for afternoon tea (for which the hotel apparently has an award) and is not too feminine in decor, so we spotted quite a few men having tea there, unlike some other places where it has all got very frilly.

We loved it and would happily return when we are staying in London again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2009

My three sisters and I had beautiful connecting rooms on the third floor overlooking Green park. The bay windows that opened with the juliet balconies were wonderful and we would sit having our tea or whiskies and watch the world whirl by. Shutting the windows cut the noise dramatically but we kept them cracked a bit to soak up the London sounds. The rooms were a good size with comfortable beds covered with fluffy duvets.The bathroom was larger than others I have had in London. Because we paid for these upgraded rooms we had free access to eveything in the mini bar, including alcohol. Everything was replenished daily. We loved the peppercorn crisps! The hotel has free wireless which was great.
The staff of this hotel is what really makes the difference. From Jim and John, the doormen, to Saleem, who checked us in and then personally took us to our rooms, to the general manager and his staff who invited us to a cocktail reception and then made us feel very welcome.....this hotel made us feel very special.
The location is perfect for seeing London. There are two tube stops nearby. You can cross the street and be at Buckingham Palace in 5 minutes. We had many restaurants within a couple blocks. We loved Pret a Manger for breakfast and stopped by several times. We had one breakfast in the hotel but we aren't really buffet brunch people no matter how elegant it is.
I can't think of a negative thing to say about the Athenaeum. It will be the hotel we return to on our next trip to London.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2009

I was staying in the Athenaeum in September for two nights. I've been trying out hotels in London in the past few years, and I must say, this one is one of my favourites. Its location is very good, only five minutes from Green Park tube station and only a couple of minutes to Marble Arch Tube station.

You instantly recognise the hotel by its landmark wall garden, which attracts butterflies in the day and is lit in a gloomy green at night. The staff is friendly and helpful, and although our room was located with its windows looking at the backyard, the rooms surpassed my expectations. The beds are fluffy, the minibar is complimentary (except for some alcoholic drinks) and the entertainment system is faboulus.

The Athenaeum might become one of my "safe harbours" in London :)

Reviewed 12 October 2009

My teenage daughter and i stayed here for four nights. Great location, very clean and well-appointed rooms, free mini-bar goodies, excellent espresso machine in the room. The service was good and they provided popcorn with free DVD's and milk and cookies in the evening. The location is right across from Green Park and only a few minutes from the Piccadilly Line tube, yet surprisingly quiet. The staff is very helpful. Our room was only one step up from the basic and it had a lovely bay window. The breakfast is over-priced but for a minute's walk you have many other choices. Great workout facilities and spa amenities.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2009

If you want to treat yourself in London, stay here. It is expensive (on my salary), but worth it. The staff was excellent. They answered every question that I had and made reservations for a play and a bus tour. They had a maid in the morning and a maid that turned down the bed at night. (Nice touch.) You could have everything in the fridge for free (except for the liquor) and that was great. They had a tea kettle, a coffee thing (that I didn't understand) and various cups etc. We were in the back, so we didn't have any problem falling asleep.

I found tiny flaws. I know that they just made over the rooms. And, I had a small room, as one would expect in London. But the mirrors! They were on one wall, the closet was mirrored, the bathroom door was mirrored, both sides. It would have been nice if I was size 2, but I am not. The other thing was the bathroom door didn't open all the way, so I had to wedge myself in.

I had a hard time getting in the bathtub to take a shower. (I have a disability.) I asked the manager and had another manager show me a room that had a shower that you didn't have climb into. That was important and now I know what to ask before I make a reservation.

All in all, if I had the money again, I would stay here again.

Reviewed 9 October 2009

I treated my husband to a night's stay at this hotel for a birthday present and booked it through the "Secret Rooms" on Laterooms.com. The hotel itself has the most perfect location being a five minute walk from Buckingham Palace and very close to Hyde Park and Kensington Palace. It is easily accessible by tube (though tricky at weekend due to ongoing maintenance!) and car and occupies a plot opposite the beautiful Green Park.

On arrival, we were greeted by the wonderfully friendly and caring staff who couldn't do enough for us. They made a huge fuss of our 6 month old baby which was especially good as many higher end hotels are not keen fans of babies!

Our room was beautifully decorated with warm colours and quirky London features such as miniature soldiers in bearskins in a cabinet and a picture with many London landmarks. There was a Nespresso machine with a choice of coffee and all the soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar were free. Prior to arrival, we were sent a questionnaire asking us our favourite hobbies etc and when we arrived, they had put a Nintendo Wii with games in the room, as well as a DVD player and children's DVDs.

My only criticism of the hotel is the food and beverages prices. It was £7.75 for a 50ml measure of gin and our two club sandwiches with chips and bottle of wine room service bill came to £60.00. Whilst I accept that London is expensive and 5* hotels are expensive, I cannot possible fathom how a sandwich can cost £15!!!

Having said that, I would stay in the hotel again as the location was perfect and the staff were excellent. I just might take my own sandwiches next time!!!