“Great museum”

Imperial War Museum
Ranked #105 of 1,793 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: IWM London tells the stories of people's experiences of modern war from the First World War to conflicts today. Mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme over 2016 and experience our ground-breaking First World War Galleries. Our IWM Contemporary art programme continues with work by protest photographer Edward Barber from 26 May - 4 September 2016 and works by artist Mahwish Chishty later in 2016. From 28 July 2016 artist-photographer Edmund Clark presents an exhibition exploring hidden experiences of state control, touching on issues of security, legality and ethics during the 'Global War on Terror'. Discover astonishing acts of bravery in The Lord Ashcroft Gallery: Extraordinary Heroes exhibition, delve into the world of espionage in Secret War and explore key moments of the Second World War in the award-winning Holocaust Exhibition. Find out how Britain's armed forces deal with very different aspects of global security in Fighting Extremes: From Ebola to ISIS, until 13 November 2016.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The second I stepped into the Imperial War Museum I knew I wanted to stay there all day, which of course I couldn’t do because our itinerary is packed full with so much awesome stuff. I don’t have time for it all.

Entering the Imperial War Museum, these massive war planes are hanging from the ceiling while tanks and military vehicles line the ground floor like a show room. The museum is packed with information galore. I was in awe of how organized everything was. On one floor there was two different passages you can take: World War One or World War Two. Both had so much cool stuff displayed and a lot of information about each object. I loved this exhibit.

It was the Holocaust exhibit that left me speechless. The stories of the families forced to leave their homes brought me to tears. Still after so much reading and coursework about the Holocaust, I still do not understand how there could be so much evil in the world.

The exhibit was excellent. It was organized really well, and I learned a lot of new information about Britain’s perspective of Germany. I liked learning about the Kindertransport, which brought thousands of German children into British families’ homes. Most of the children sent away never saw their biological parents again. It was heartbreaking to read stories about children forces to grow up so fast.

I snapped this photo of a young boys’ experience of arriving in Britain. I can’t imagine leaving everything I know, including my family, at the age of thirteen. This exhibit really captured the Holocaust from a British perspective. It showed me how much England was affected by the events and aftermath. The first-hand stories were the ones that affected me the most. I liked reading about a family’s journey to safety in England. It would’ve been harder for England to ignore the events of the Holocaust than it was for America. This exhibit did a good job of showing an English perspective, too.

I wish that I could go back to the Imperial War Museum this week before heading to Scotland, but I know I won’t have time. The Imperial war Museum was neat because I love seeing history first-hand. The objects in the display cases have a story to tell. The objects in the Holocaust museum are now imprinted in my mind forever.

1  Thank Sarah W
Write a ReviewReviews (8,931)
All reviews
in 484 reviews
in 136 reviews
in 664 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited here as a child with the school and enjoyed it then, now 28 years later I visited again with a friend and her children aged between 6 - 14. As you walk towards the entrance the building itself grabs you especially with the 'hardware' lining the grassy areas. The exhibition itself is very interesting and humbling charting our military history and the film relating to our role in WWII. There is so much that you are never told in your history lessons at school. I recommend a visit.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is a trademark Daniel Libeskind building, meaning the war theme of the museum is thoroughly expressed in the uneven, jarring space. It seems as just one single big hall, but the walls actually form a linear route throughout the various conflicts in history.The museum is very well curated, and contains a great many fascinating artifacts from the war. The lightshow also takes place within this hall itself, which totally transforms the space.
As an architecture enthusiast, I find this space fascinating, and would recommend a visit to all likeminded people.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is must for anyone who loves WW II history. There are planes, boats, tanks and spying devices! This is a neat place for not just grown men, but the grandson will love it too! The films that explained England's role in the war truly taught me more than I ever knew. Don't miss this true treasure.