“Great Value”
Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #129 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 January 2012

For London, this is a VERY cheap place to stay. While it's not the nicest place we've ever been, it is a charming bed and breakfast on a lovely street. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was great. The room wasn't spacious or extravagant, but nice enough to get good sleep. Close to a tube stop. Really, no complaints at all. If I went to London again on a budget, I would definitely look to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ridgemount Hotel

Reviewed 14 January 2012

My huband and I stay here for one night in December and could not fault the experience! Our room, which was on the top floor, was spacious, clean and the bathroom was really lovely. Only thing I would say if that stairs were an issue for any reason, top floor is a few flights up! This was not a problem for us though, so was this was in no way a negative as far as we're concerned. Walking distance to everywhere we wanted to be over the course of the two days (Kings Cross, Oxford Street, Soho, Piccadilly) and we found the staff to be excellent! For being such a central location on a busy street, the room was quite quiet and we got a good night's sleep. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel based on our experience.

2  Thank ljriddick
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The Ridgemount Hotel is the perfect choice if you're looking for mid-priced accomodation in London. The rooms were spacious enough for two and is always clean. A 24-hour bus to the city centre (Leicester Square) is opposite the hotel and the Goodge Street station is just a 3-minute walk. The neighbourhood feels safe and the staff is extra helpful. I truly enjoyed my stay there and would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Street noises could be heard if you're facing the street and on a lower floor so ask for a room...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank tangledhair
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We had an ok time at this hotel, but to be honest I was surprised by the great reviews after our experience. For the price, our room was ok, but a bit 'creepy' and with tiny saggy beds, very clean though, as was our shared bathroom. The breakfast was nice and the service at breakfast good, our experience of the owner was a little abrupt, rather than warm or welcoming. Overall it was fine, but not a great experience by any stretch, I'm sorry to say it as I was looking forward to joining in with the happy reviewers, maybe an odd room, or an off day for the owner...

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank TCAC1
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Other reviews have pretty much said it all. The Ridgemount is a great hotel at a great price in the very center of London. The rooms have recently been redone, and the place as a whole looks perfect. We were there earlier this week, and the sitting room even had a nice Christmas tree to add to the homey surroundings. The owners are tremendously helpful, asking every morning at breakfast where one might be going, giving directions, the weather report for the day (always useful in London!), and anything else one might need. We spent three days there, and everything from the room to the breakfast to the service was as good as it could possibly be.

4  Thank JamesH064
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We have visited 3 times over 18 months. The proprietors (Rees family) are extremely kind, cordial and helpful. The price, location and cleanliness cannot be beat! Are the rooms small? Yes, this is not an American chain hotel in the suburbs. I find it astounding that for £46 they can offer so much. Buses are across the street, tube is around the corner, British Museum is a few blocks away. Free WiFi in the lobby/sitting room. I can't wait to go back. For purely selfish reasons, I hesitate to recommend this hotel ONLY because if it becomes any more popular, I will have trouble getting a reservation. I've stayed elsewhere in London when Ridgemount has been booked up, but next time, I will change my dates to suit their availability. I spend 6-8 weeks a year in hotels (business and pleasure) and this is my favorite hotel, regardless of price and amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter. Request room on a lower floor if you have lots of luggage!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Wade266
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at the Ridgemount Hotel on two occasions; on arrival to the UK and at the end of our UK/Europe tour.

We were very pleased during our first stay. Upon returning, it felt like we had returned home. We were greeted with a friendly and familiar smile which was a breath of fresh air after 17 different hotels in the last six weeks. Of these 17, Ridgemount is one of the best, if not THE best and I feel like after the last 6 weeks we have a good knowledge of hotel quality/price.

The rooms are clean, cosy and cute and we enjoyed comfortable sleeps. No problems here.

The price is VERY reasonable and we would in fact pay more given the quality of the hotel and the expensive nature of London in general.

The breakfast is no doubt THE BEST we have had. Freshly prepared traditional English breakfast. It is brought to your table upon request and waitresses will tend to your needs with friendliness and generosity until you leave. This service at breakfast time was surely lacking at all other hotels we stayed at. What’s more, it will fill you up and you may not even need lunch! The staff will continually ask you if you want more of their amazing toast/bacon/egg/juice etc. In fact, it is such a relief to have this kind of service at breakfast time as opposed to a buffet style. During the last six weeks we have really noticed how much food goes to waste at a buffet which is bad for our environment. You can't please every guest but surely it must be the best option to serve freshly cooked local food, right? Further, we are staying in ENGLAND hence it is nice to have the local food. Occasionally throughout Europe places would attempt to add foods that their locals wouldn’t eat and this was always just a waste.

The location is perfect. London is such a large place but it feels like everything is so close when staying here.

The service is extremely friendly and helpful. This is what helped made this place feel like home. Cleaning staff would talk to you with interest about your day, reception would go out of their way to tend to your needs, and one day we were ten mins late for breakfast and they still accommodated us with service for the next half hour!

Overall, I have no complaints and we will definitely return again.

5  Thank Joshua S