“A Four Star at One Star Prices.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #129 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Yorba Linda, California
“A Four Star at One Star Prices.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I rated the Ridgemount a 4 Star only because it did not have air conditioning. The location is perfect, walk to Soho, theaters, Oxford Street, the British Museum and many other attractions. The hotel is older, but my single room was clean, the bathroom was clean, and the bed comfortable. The corridors were clean. It is obvious the owners take good care of the interior. No peeling paint or soiled carpets here. The breakfast (included in the $100.00 rate) was tasty and filling. A few things to consider if you plan on staying there. The back of the hotel is quieter than the front, so if you like to sleep with a window open, you should request a rear facing room. Also, there is no lift, so if you can't or don't like to climb stairs you may want to request a room on the lower levels. The wifi worked very well and they have two computers in the lounge to print out your plane tickets or research the local restaurants. All in all, a perfect place to stay if your visiting London for sightseeing and theater.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ETROKER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I don't have any experience with other London hotels, but after my stay at the Ridgemount last week, I have no reason to seek that experience in the future. Loved everything about the hotel. Great location in central London. Easy walking distance to many things, and for locations beyond that, there is easy, nearby access to a couple different tube stops. From what I've read in all my research, the room size was normal for the location and price. I hate Americans who complain about the size of rooms, so here's one American who enjoyed the room size. It was exactly what I wanted/needed. Why would I want a big room when I'm going to be out exploring the city all day anyway? If you do want more space, there's a nice parlor room to relax in, and also a couple computers there to use. When I was in my room, the bed was comfortable, and the Wi-fi was excellent. My stay included shared facilities, and this worked out perfectly. Nice, clean toilet and shower areas. Gower Street is a bit busy, and my room faced it, so if traffic noise bothers you, you might want a back room. I like the hum of the traffic, so it was great for me. The breakfast was exceptional. Good food, and the waitresses are incredibly friendly and attentive. The rest of the staff is very friendly as well.. Mr. Rees is golden! :-) From all my research beforehand, you also get all this for an extremely competitive price. I can hardly wait to get back to London, and when I do, I'll be staying at the Ridgemount again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Kurt S
Stellenbosch, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is by far the best budget hotel you will ever stay in. Friendly and knowledgeable staff! Rooms are clean, neat and a fairly good size for a budget hotel. We did not have an en suite room, but found the bathroom facilities more than adequate. Breakfast is lovely with very friendly and helpful waitresses! The manager checked on us each morning at breakfast and made sure we had our arrangements for the day in order. Free coffee and tea facilities were a bonus after a late night out. Don't expect a 5 star hotel, but if budget is what you are looking for, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shaun_Stell
Firenze, Italia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights at The Ridgemount on late October, I had a double room en suite on the first floor, as the room was on the rear it was very quiet. As in the other hotels in the area, rooms are small but efficient, I only spent the night in it so all I needed was a bed and a bathroom. Good wi-fi connection in room. Free hot drinks machine in the lounge, english breakfast included in the room rate with the possibility of lighter options. The family who ownes the place is really nice and friendly. The location is convenient, near the british museum, a lot of bus lines just across the street and walking distance to Leicester Square, Covent Garden and Oxford Street. I would definitely come back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GillyFirenze_Italia
Goodyear, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Room was tiny, as expected for the price. Location was excellent. Full English breakfast included, but we got bored with the same items every single day. Staff were helpful with directions. Wi-Fi worked pretty well, and they do have 2 computers in the parlor for guests to use to print boarding passes as needed. Bathroom was antiquated and had problems with a toilet that flushed only sporadically. We were told that was because of 60 years of "abuse" by Americans! Okayyyy.... otherwise the hotel was a good bargain. The beds were tiny single beds, but were comfortable otherwise. Lots of street noise because it is located near a hospital so heard sirens all night. Earplugs solved that problem easily. We were unable to book into the same hotel for our return to London a week later, so we set out to find another and found our dream!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CarolHarb
Newberg, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

The room had two twin beds, a sink, a small wardrobe and a desk, and barely enough room to walk between the two beds. Even though the carpet that showed between the beds was only a small strip, it hadn't been vacuumed. Also, it was an usually warm night in early October in London, and the room was hot. We finally resorted to opening the window, and the street was very noisy - lots of traffic, the occasional police siren, etc. It was within walking distance from Euston Station and was relatively cheap, but I wished while still awake at 2:00 am that I had taken a metro to a hotel in a quieter neighborhood. The breakfast was good, though, and the waitstaff were excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JudyMrr
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Hubby and I stayed overnight. Great location - very central and easily accessible by the tube (Euston/Goodge St). The staff were very welcoming and accomodating. Originally putting us up on the second floor but changed us to the ground floor (room 17) when seeing our large bags (no lifts). Room was basic but clean. Mattress was terrible and upset hubby's back - you could feel the springs through the doona even before you got into bed! But ensuite was attached, water was hot, water pressure was good and complimentary tea/toast/cereal was enjoyed before our quick departure to Kings Cross St Pancras (only 1 station away). Cost overnight was 98 pounds.

Room Tip: Keep in mind no elevator so might consider asking for a lower floor room