“Perfect for the money but...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #132 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Argentan, France
“Perfect for the money but...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed at the Ridgemount for years, having moved from the Arosfa up the street for years before that. When the Arosfa closed for renovations and then raised their prices, I stayed with the Ridgemount. The hotel is family owned and run, friendly, efficient, accomodating. The breakfast has slipped a little, but then things are increasingly expensive in London and I am sure they do what they can to keep the prices low. I stay there because it is clean, well maintained, and the location is fantastic. All that said, I have one major complaint. I had booked a double room last year. Well in advance for three or four nights. We had a confirmed reservation and we had bought and paid for our Eurostar tickets. The hotel emailed us shortly before we were to leave to say that the people who had our room had "decided to stay longer" and that they could no longer give us a room for our confirmed dates! We had to scramble to find a decent place at the last minute. I was offended, having been a guest of theirs for many years. I have discussed this with friends and all of them had the same response. The hotel should have honored our reservation and told the people who changed their minds that they could not give them a room for their extended dates. I am not sure we will return to Ridgemount. A pity because it was part of London's charm and history as far as we are concerned.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandra L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I have used this hotel for many years for work purposes and have loved it.
The staff are helpful and friendly always accommodating.
The breakfast is fresh and plenty of tea or coffee.
This hotel is central to everything and perfect for your needs.
Defiantly recommend this budget but homely hotel to everyone.

Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I have used this hotel for many years for work purposes and have loved it.
The staff are helpful and friendly always accommodating.
The breakfast is fresh and plenty of tea or coffee.
This hotel is central to everything and perfect for your needs.
Defiantly recommend this budget but homely hotel to everyone.

Stayed August 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have stayed at the Ridgemount hotel on two different occasions now--the first time as a tourist and more recently as a business traveler. Like other hotels in Gower street (I have stayed in four of them on various trips) the rooms are small and spartan by American standards. The hotel has a small sitting room where guests sometimes gather to watch TV in the evenings, and a breakfast room is located in the basement. A small garden is provided in the back.

Where this hotel excels is in the small details. The rooms and bathrooms are immaculately clean. I have stayed in three different rooms on my visits, and have never noticed anything outdated or in need of repair. Bathrooms, especially, are regularly updated with new toilets and tile work. The breakfasts are outstanding, and the cooks will accommodate your desires or dietary needs. The proprietor of this hotel makes it a point to ask each guest in the morning how his or her breakfast was, and asks what their plans are during the day, and always provides very helpful information for visitors. Each time I have stayed here I have felt that the owners of this small, family-run hotel really cared that I enjoyed my stay. In terms of what you get for your money this hotel deserves five stars. I only give them four out of five to make readers aware that this is a budget hotel and is not a place for people who expect a luxurious room.

The next time I am in London I will stay here again.

Room Tip: In summer request a room on a lower floor facing the garden. Like other hotels in London this one i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Justin E
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed for three nights in July of 2014. The Ridgemount has an excellent location, just 3 blocks from the British Museum, and just 2 blocks or so, from a Tube station. The proprietors are very pleasant and helpful. The room was small, but comfortable, and clean. The toilet and shower were just outside our room, and were similarly quite adequate. The only negative was that we had to leave the window open to keep the room cool at night, and Gower Street is quite busy, so there was a lot of noise. If your room faces the street, you might consider earplugs. For the price and location, the Ridgemount is hard to beat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank csyetman
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights recently. There were no en-suite rooms but we never had trouble of a bathroom or shower being available. We had a large room that would have slept 4 people. Breakfast is included. It is located near the Goodge Street tube station and not too far from Euston, which was a pleasant surprise that we came in on the night train from Edinburgh to the London Euston train station. The bus stop is 1 block and a bus can take you into the major attractions. Everyone was so very friendly and helpful. The only drawback for me as an American is no AC during their unseasonably warm Summer (but we adapted and thankful for a great location and reasonable price).

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back and on a lower level in the Summer. They do have rooms in the basement...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family of four stayed for five nights. An ensuite room was not available, so we had shared baths. The room was on the top floor with the shared bathroom right outside the door. There were also other shared facilities on other floors very nearby. They were all clean and convenient. The hotel was very close to the british museum and easy to walk or take the bus to other London attractions. We had a garden side room and it was quiet at night even with the windows open. The Wi-Fi was fast. The staff was very helpful and gave advice on buses to take and activities in London I was extremely satisfied with this hotel for my family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family