“Good value, great location, clean rooms and friendly staff”
Review of Ridgemount Hotel

Ridgemount Hotel
Ranked #133 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“Good value, great location, clean rooms and friendly staff”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

My partner and I stayed here from the 13th to the 17th of October 2009. We chose the Ridgemount because of the large number of positive reviews, and the fact that it's relatively cheap (for London) and many people said the hotel was very clean.

We arrived about half an hour early, though we were able to wait in the lounge whilst the room was being cleaned. They provide free tea (P&G tips) and coffee (Maxwell house), free internet on a public-use computer, as well as free wifi - though the signal is a bit dodgy if you leave the ground floor (occasionally we could get it in our room, usually we could pick it up on the stairwell). There's also a vending machine with cans of coke etc for 50p.

We booked a few months in advance and were given room 26 - a double with ensuite that overlooked the back garden. The room was larger than I was expecting, though I've read a lot of people find them to be quite small, but if you're only using the room as a place to sleep then the size is fine.

The outside temperature varied between about 7 and 17 degrees Celsius - even so, the room was quite warm, and we slept with the window open a little at night to keep from getting too hot. I definitely wouldn't stay here in the middle of summer, as I can seeing the rooms being quite unbearably hot.

Having the window open did increase the noise level a fair bit, though this didn't bother me at all and I was able to sleep well. This might have been a different story if we'd been given one of the rooms facing the street, as it's busy most of the time (even at night) and the noise level is higher.

The bed was an actual double - not a queen, so if you're not used to sharing such a small bed with your partner you might be a bit put out. The bed was made, towels were replaced and the room and bathroom were cleaned every day.
The bathroom is a smallish, but doesn't fog up when you shower. There's plenty of space to store toiletries, and the water pressure was great.

Breakfast was between 7 and 9am and was included in the price. I never had to wait for a table, and the staff were always very friendly. There was coffee, tea and orange juice - I also heard someone ordering a hot chocolate, though I never asked for one. A choice of 3 cereals (when we were there they were cornflakes, frosty flakes or bran flakes) was followed by an egg & bacon (I read that a lot of Americans thought it was more like ham than bacon, though I think that's because American bacon is teeny thin little rashers. I'm Australian and it was just like our bacon at home, if not a little thicker). There's also a cooked breakfast item that rotates every day - tomato, baked beans or a sausage. This is all topped off with as much toast (with butter and marmalade) as you like.

Overall I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jigokuko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We loved this Hotel. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the lovely lady who runs the hotel who instantly made us feel at home and showed us on a map where everything was. She really made us feel like family. The Hotel is very clean and quite charming, with simple but very comfortable rooms and although our room didn't come with a bathroom, the shared facilities were always clean (and this made the rate cheaper).

The included breakfast was also a nice touch, with simple but wholesome food served with a friendly smile. There was even a laundry service in the hotel that was excellent value. The Hotel is also in a great, safe location near excellent restaurants, the theater district and walking distance to the center of London (although the tube is faster and gower st station is just around the corner).

This is a great place to stay in London and offers exceptional value. For a cheap, comfortable place to stay you could not do better in all of the U.K. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bambino0
Weston, WV
Reviewed 16 October 2009

My two sons (22 and 20 years old) stayed here on vacation, and they were very happy with the accommodations. The room was clean; the beds were comfortable; the bathroom was small but clean. Yes, the room was small, but the kids weren't in London to hang out in the room. The staff was gracious and helpful, willing to make recommendations. Their service was excellent. The boys raved about the breakfast--all you could eat, all delicious. Andrew is still talking about the orange marmalade (we have some in the refrigerator at home, but he had to go to London to try it! God forbid he would eat anything new at home!). The location is just perfect for sightseeing.
By the way, I made all the arrangements for them by email, and the person who contacted me was polite, prompt with replies, and appreciative of our business. I paid in advance, and there were no hidden charges or additions when the boys checked out. Wonderful hotel!!
This hotel is highly recommended by my family. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mayrows
wales
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I have stayed at several places in London with business over the last few years, ranging from hostels to 4 stars and have experienced the good and the bad - the latter including cockroaches, mouse faeces and a night desk manager whose attentions were exceedingly creepy. So I wasn't expecting miracles - just needed somewhere decent, well priced and reasonable near to my work base for two nights. The Ridgemount was a great find. OK it's small but hey its London and for these prices what do you expect? It's not done up like a dogs dinner but quite frankly I couldnt care less if I dont have designer taps in my en suite but is is CLEAN - this beats any other criteria as far as I'm concerned. The room was tiny but there were lots of nooks and cranny's to put my stuff in. I had my own bathroom. The single bed was compact but comfy. I was at the rear of the building and it was very quiet. The staff - especially the manager - were really nice, pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was good - You won't get a choice of fairtrade fruit salad, home made kedgeree or organically sourced muffins (but who needs fancy breakfast foods anyway?) - you will get tidy, well cooked food, clean tables etc, quick service, lots of cereal, nice toast not made from awful cheapo white bread, proper butter and lots of fantastic coffee and again helpful, pleasant, smiling staff (a change from the grumpy faces I have experienced in some places). The location is great and accessable. Nice big downstairs lounge, internet access and free tea and coffee (Ok not the lovely filter stuff but hot, wet and containing caffeine) in the day from the machine. I like it so much I have booked ahead for all my future work engagments up until July - this is the ideal London hotel for what I want it for - thanks

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank teejayWales
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Thanks to the reviews here I booked to stay in the Ridgemount at the end of June for 4 nights (in a double). I returned there in early July for another 3 nights (in a single). I stayed in 5 different single/double ensuite/standard rooms in total (we had to switch rooms since I booked relatively late).

My experience was mixed initially: we unfortunately caught the (uncharacteristically?) hottest days in London and the rooms were EXTREMELY stuffy and hot (thanks to the traditional English houses). The double rooms I've stayed in faced the street. One night we were on the ground floor; with our window opened, we could hear EVERYTHING going on from the busy Gower St (traffic, people talking on their mobiles - we could hear their conversation!!). Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep at all. The room on the 3rd floor, also facing the street was also very hot and noisy. The following week I went back to London and the temperature had dropped. This time I stayed in a room facing the garden and it was wonderful! (see photos)

Pros:
*Common bathrooms are very clean and I've never had to wait.
*Breakfast is good - a bowl of cereal, lots of toast, tea, and a plate of eggs+meat/tomato.
*Very convenient location - 2 short blocks from subway stop (Gower St.) and bus stops and walkable to Oxford St (shopping!) and the British Museum.
*The family that runs the hotel is great. Mrs. Rees is LOVELY. She helps serve breakfast and goes round the tables asking if they need help for directions. She gave us a bus map, circled the bus numbers and got us to taking the bus around town. Buses are really slow in London but quite convenient and more relaxing than the tube.
*Free wifi (though it wasn't working when we first got there. and reception upstairs isn't so good, so just go down to the common room)
*There's a computer in the common room with free internet access (but you might have to wait in line)

Cons:
*there's no air-con so its very stuffy during hot London days.

Overall: extremely good value for London standard (**very important to note that you're dealing with London hotel standards). I'd love to return, but probably not in June/July and definitely book a room facing the garden (so book way in advance!).

I'd just like to mention that I have stayed for a night at a hotel next door - it was a lot more expensive: they pay a bit more attention to details (e.g. the bedding is better quality, nicer mattress, the garden has nice table/chairs which is nice for breakfast) and the breakfast was a big buffet - but if you don't care for that, Ridgemount is just as good and a lot cheaper. (I also walked into two other hotels on Gower St that were a lot more run-down; one of the owners was also quite rude).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank pret_a_porter
USA
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I stayed at Ridgemount from Sept 22- 28th and it was perfect (if you go in knowing what your getting)
We were a group of 5 and stayed in the 2nd floor 5 bedroom with a nice big window, and it was very nice and clean. it was quiet, with some traffic noise but not too much and the floor that we were in there were always bathrooms available for us. Yes the bathrooms are small, but this is what you would get in europe in general! the maid came in every morning to clean and there were always new towels everyday -- and for breakfast since we always had an early wakeup time there was barely any wait! Breakfast will always be cereal, bacon, egg and then either sausage,beans or tomato... at the end of the week my friends and I concluded we had eaten enough bacon for a little pig.. haha
the breakfast room was in the basement and they are going through some renovations but it was perfectly fine for us
there is also the lounge room with the free internet and even a pay phone if you need to make calls, and when we paid we had the options to pay in pounds or in USD (not sure if it makes a difference)
THE LOCATION IS GREAT! its right next to goodge or euston station and a little farther there is the british museum and the british library. and whats great about both lines are that goodge is somewhat of a main line to trafalger square and leichester (for the theatre) and then the euston station is on the circle time which helps out-- just beware in weekends when the stations are going under renovations
as for the price we paid for the location and the cleanliness of the rooms and all the nice people who helped us on the trip it is definitely worth it!
Will be going back when ever i can go back to London...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank poiesaur
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ridgemount for 3 nights, at the rate of £75 per night in an en suite room (bathroom attached). We were in London as tourists, so it was important for us to be near the "tube" stations. We wanted an affordable, clean, quiet hotel that also had en suite rooms and breakfast included. We were very pleased with our choice of the Ridgemount Hotel.

It's located very close to the Goodge Street station on the Northern line and the Russell Square station on the Picadilly line. Many times we were walking to the hotel at night and felt safe. There are several tourist attractions within walking distance of the hotel as well.

Our room was small, which is to be expected in any large city and for the room rate. The bedding appeared outdated, but definitely clean. The room was narrow, with the bed (double, I think) against the wall, one chair by the window, a TV wall-mounted in the corner (which only got antenna channels), a wardrobe with a shelf and rod, and corner shelves just outside of the bathroom. The bathroom was also outdated but clean. There was shelf space, but it was small (not the smallest I've been in, though). The hairdryer on the wall wouldn't work, but the attendant at the front desk happily gave me a hairdryer to use for the duration of my stay.

The room was quiet. We were on the 2nd or 3rd floor, facing the back of the building. We didn't see an elevator there, but the stairs were fine for us. The lobby area had free hot beverages, a soda machine, a few couches, and one computer with free internet access. Sometimes we had to wait for our turn on the computer, but there were times that I worked for awhile online and no one came by to use it.

The breakfast was great. There were several kinds of cereal, toast, juice, milk, coffee, and tea. The breakfast service was served sit-down style by friendly staff. We never had to wait very long for a table, if at all. Breakfast choices varied by day: bacon (more like ham to Americans), eggs, tomatoes, beans, sausage, etc. The staff was polite and helpful about what ingredients were in the breakfast. I'm gluten intolerant, and they brought over the can of Heinz beans for me to read the label. I appreciated that.

We arrived early in the morning from Heathrow the first day or our reservation and left in the afternoon on the last day. I was pleased that they allowed us to drop off and temporarily leave our luggage with them. We locked our cases and left them in the lobby area with other people's luggage. It appeared undisturbed both times we retrieved our luggage.

We were happy with our stay at the Ridgemount Hotel. It was a basic, clean, and comfortable place that had everything we needed, for the price we wanted. I would recommend it to a friend, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple