“Elegant still but accessible.”
Review of Claridge's

Claridge's
Ranked #45 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“Elegant still but accessible.”
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I stayed at Claridges several times between August and October for 2-3 weeks at a time as I was working in London. I had a huge deluxe king with an enormous bathroom and super large closets; all 3 rooms larger than any other hotel's deluxe king. My room was QUIET as I was able to close the door to the entry way so no hall noise seeped in. The housekeeping was amazing - without needing to be asked, they brought in an extra tabl;e in the bathroom for my belongings, and showered me with the Asprey products I hoarded. They never missed a wake up call and when I trudged through their very elegant lobby in my work boots and funky clothes (I was working on a muddy set) they
never said a peep and were just as gracious as if I was wearing a ball gown and tiara. Their spa is elegant (had a great massage) and their gym is fully loaded and excellent. My only complaint was that the internet was not free.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank laurensd1111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Claridge's is an old hotel and that has its charm, but it also means that it is dated. Clearly there are lots of efforts to provide service, but with such an old infrastructure it becomes a little difficult to keep up appearances. Our room was spacious, but smelled a little of stale air. (Probably the dust in the gaps of the floor boards.) The bathroom still has its original fixtures, but they have suffered through many years of service. If you don't mind these things, the hotel is certainly worth a visit to travel back in time and it clearly was a superb hotel in its heyday. Enjoy a high-tea in the lounge to watch the crowd, which is certainly entertaining!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I stayed at Claridges with my wife and 2 children to celebrate a special occassion and it was one of our most special events of our lives. The hotel is just spectacular and we were all overwhelmed by the service of the staff from the moment we arrived until departure. We were made to feel like Royalty by everyone we met and they could not have done more for us. Everything about the hotel is faultless; from the setting to the magnificent rooms and delicious food. Go if you want to feel special!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank owenandsonja
Uk
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Pure, discreet English class..........Art Deco and oozing the spirit of a gentler time, love it but don't stay if your looking for bling!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank banffUk
New York, NY
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Am currently staying at Claridge's on business because it's my boss' favorite hotel. I'm sure that they treat him well since he books a suite, but my "standard" room is tiny, right next to the elevator, and noisy (I hear everything in the hall, above me and everytime someone turns on the water). The hot water tap in my room hardly works (trickles out of the faucet). I have asked twice for it to be looked at, but no improvement thus far. The room is very clean and the location is great, but having stayed at a number of 5 star hotels in London, including Claridge's "sister" hotels The Berkeley and The Connaught, I will always pick one of them over Claridge's.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank aes37_79
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Claridge's is a magnificent true 5 star hotel that simply oozes luxury, it's obviously not the best if your idea of "value" is low-cost, but in terms of what you get for your money here the value is phenomenal.

We stayed at the Superior Queen Room, the least expensive available, and was literally blown away by the size and standard of the room. It had what can only be described as a small marble-floored foyer which led to the bedroom on the left, huge, spacious, beautifully decorated and to the left a dressing room area, which led to a spacious marble and mosaic tiled bathroom.

This hotel attends to literally every detail - the bed was huge and comfortable, we had a flat-screen TV, plenty of wardrobe and storage space, mini-bar, laundry service, 24hour reception service and 24hr room service, and all the other usual extras you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Another important detail we appreciated was the amount of information provided in the room about the hotel and area and helpfulness of the reception and concierge.

We sadly didn't get to sample the hotel's bar or famous Gordon Ramsay restaurant, however room service sent 2 cooked meals and a cigar at 2am, which were both reasonably priced and superb quality!

This hotel is in a fantastic central location in London's prestigious Mayfair, and a 30 second walk to Oxford Street.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouiseMullins
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Went for an anniversary night treat with my wife and could not have been more disappointed.

After what seemed a fairly warm welcome (which you'd expect after commiting to £600+ for staying for ONE night in a hotel with dinner) I was challenged rudely by the door/concierge staff when I popped out for 5 minutes and then came back in via the main lobby: (to note: I was wearing a suit - I can only assume you're best off in the fleece/jeans/t-shirt that the lounge is mostly populated with).

Disgruntled enough with that welcome, I further seemed to mark my card with the staff in the restaurant by questioning why there was a 50 minute gap between our ironically named 'amuse bouche' (which clearly demonstrated why cheap horseradish sauce blended with raw cauliflower doesn't make it to ones dinner table in either this era nor the faux art deco era which they failingly try to evoke), and our starter - let alone the gap thereafter to the rest of the meal.

I could go on at some length about the same-veined, rude crappiness which followed in the supposedly Michelin starred restaurant; suffice to say if you've ever watched a show with dear old Gordon Ramsay bellicosely bullying someone who is 1. in a socially awkward situation - so to question or criticise would be awkward (like, er, in an ostensibly posh restaurant?), or 2. barking sharply at a customer when queried; "this is a proper restaurant, we can't just push a button and make it come out".

I'll tell you what chief...when I end up with a bill for £220 - for an inexplicably late and rudely served dinner for 2... I'd hope you'd get your [--] and manners together for something a bit better than that?

Anyway, I'm cross, and feel really ripped off, and have had what should have been a special anniversary spoiled by a terrible hotel and restaurant. You can of course make your own minds up, but for your £600+ you'd be better off with a quick weekend to Barcelona or similar...trust me...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple