“Surprising but not for the right reasons”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #43 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Surprising but not for the right reasons”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Stayed here recently and with all the hype around the opening and the brand Savoy itself I was looking forward to my stay.
Firstly the hotel doesn't have a reception desk. The staff use earpieces and do the checking in while walking me to my room. I only found that out after I aksed an extremly rude concierge who didn't bother to look at me from his laptop. I guess it must have been an interesting website he was looking at.
The hotel itslef looks lovely, the food is great and the rooms comfortable.
I was very let down by the staff who don't smile or offer much assistance with anything. The overall feeling I walked away with was that everything seemed like a lot of trouble; not something you'd expect from Savoy or a 5* hotel.
With so many amazing hotels in London I defenitely won't be rushing back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank tinatana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We had been looking forward to staying at the Savoy for a long time and on the
whole we weren’t disappointed. There’s obviously been a great deal of money
spent on the refurbishment and all parts of the hotel look fantastic. And it’s really
quite a thrill to be driven up the driveway for the first time.

We spent two nights in a junior suite with a large living/office area and a good
sized bedroom. The bathroom was a little cosy, but understandable given the age
of the building.

Some random opinions:

The Savoy Grill is great – very traditional English food, stunning art deco room,
the wait staff were enthusiastic but the service was not quite at the level of fine
dining.

The spa – very nice indoor pool and gym but in terms of the spa treatment rooms
and products there are much better places in London.

The butlers – I want one. Packing was never so easy :-)

The American Bar – disappointing – the atmosphere feels forced and it’s mostly
non-hotel guests coming in for a drink and complaining about the prices. But a
handy hint – if you are hotel guest they always keep a few seats free so don’t
queue.

The Beaufort Bar is fantastic. It’s a beautiful room and well worth dropping in for
an after dinner drink. The staff were also brilliant – personable and engaging.

Legally Blonde on at the Savoy Theatre is great fun.

A minor irritation – there is a ‘shoe code’ for most bars and public areas aside
from the foyer which feels antiquated. I can understand why but what bothered
me was the blunt way a member of staff communicated it to us (we couldn’t show
some local friends through the Thames foyer because he had trainers on – not
even a peek through the door). In my mind a shiny shoe has nothing to do with
class.

So all in all, it was a positive experience and great fun for a couple of nights. I
would return but with so many new luxury hotels opening in London, it has a lot
of competition and will need to work hard to maintain an edge and not rely on the
Savoy name alone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Urban3000
Burlingame
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I recently spent a week at the Savoy - my first visit back since the reopening. This was my 10th stay at the Savoy since 1972 and I can honestly say that it was the best. We had a one bedroom suite with a staff of butlers 24/7, and a personal butler assigned just to us. The hotel has been updated and is beautiful, but still very much the Savoy. The check-in process is fabulous,.no standing at a counter, you have a private check-in at a desk off the lobby. The rooms are elegant, and the Thames Foyer and restaurants are glorious. A Savoy Tea shop has been added to the delight of those of us who love tea - and handmade chocolates! The staff at the Savoy anticipates and meets your every need and seems to take pleasure in making their guests happy. From finding terrific seats to popular shows to unpacking, from train schedules to shopping, our butlers could not do enough for us. If you have a personal butler, do not hesitate to let him or her help in making your visit even more wonderful - they will not disappoint! Another plus is that the Savoy has "gone green" so no guilt in enjoying all the luxury the Savoy has to offer. Other than hoping to see a bit more of Kasper, our stay at the Savoy was absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: Ask about the availability of one bedroom river suites - well worth the money!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Ledbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

From the moment our cab door opened both my partner and I received a wonderful level of service. The doormen were polite and efficient taking our bags to the room. We were greeted personally and as Fairmont members we were taken straight through to a private reception desk for check in.
The check in was very quick with minimal fuss and we were notified that we would be getting a complimentary room upgrade from a superior delux to a grand delux suite, this was provided because or room was not ready upon arrival,(may I point out this was no fault of the hotel, we simply arrived earlier than anticipated).
We were taken through to the Thames Foyer for afternoon tea until our room was prepared and it was at this point that the service we received went from excellent to exemplary; our waiter Raj was amazing, the level of attentiveness and overall customer service was outstanding. Politeness and efficiency are things you expect in such a setting but really, nothing was too much trouble from ensuring I had dairy alternatives, to making personalised tea recommendations and even giving us samples of chocolate to try in case we didn’t like them.
On being shown to our room, it was nice to see that it was spacious with a seating area, it had everything we needed, the bed was a really good size and everything was well proportioned and well laid out.
Our stay at The savoy from start to finnish was fantastic and we really couldn't fault it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed for just one night, to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and had an absolutely fantastic experience. The suite we were allocated was glorious, and mixed edwardian charm with high tech features (2 high-def TVs and an i-pod player). The bed was huge, and comfortable - but one criticism - I was surprised that they had given us such a thick duvet, which was far too warm. The bathroom was a little small and I'd have liked a separate shower, but it was well equipped with luxury soaps and shampoos etc.

We had pre-theatre dinner at the Savoy Grill, the interior of which looks sensational. Wonderful booth-type seats, well spaced apart helped create the right atmosphere. The food itself was very good, and the service was attentive.

On returning from the theatre we had cocktails at the American bar, which is part of the ritual of staying at The Savoy. At £14 per drink, though, one round tends to be enough!

In the morning, after a gloriously indulgent cooked breakfast we hit the gym, pool and spa. The fitness area in The Savoy is very small, but I don't think many guests use the facilities so we almost had the run of the place to ourselves. The pool is, to be blunt, more of a plunge pool than a swimming pool, and the gym has only a handful of machines and some weights (fixed and free). That said, the fitness area is wonderfully relaxing, and pristinely clean. I haven't enjoyed a work out so much in a long while.

In summary, The Savoy is hugely expensive but in a funny sort of way it's actually quite good value for money because everything is perfectly done. We were made to feel like rock stars during our brief time at the hotel, and the glamour and excitement you get from a stay there felt worth every penny. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobertDawes
london
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed at the Savoy for our anniversary several years ago and decided to return to the 'new refurbished Savoy' for our anniversary this year.

From we stepped out of our taxi to our departure it was an amazing experience. The staff are very attentive, service was excellent as you'd expect from a five star luxury hotel, however, the service excelled at all levels - more than any other five star luxury hotel we had stayed at in Europe, South Africa, Switzerland, etc.

You certainly do pay for what you get but more importantly it was worth it!

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view of the River Thames
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Stayed here as a treat for myself also I would like to see what this hotel is all about. To me you have to dress up or you will get a strange look (even from the staff!). When I first walked into the hotel no one greeted me and the doorman actually looked away instead of saying hi, I guess it’s because I was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans (not ripped) also I looked quite young, but it shouldn’t matter.

However the room was very nice and I have the view of River Thames from my window, the bed and the duvet was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. The duvet was thick yet very light and not too hot, the pillows were one of the best too.

I ordered the room service for my dinner and they made an iced tea (which it wasn’t on the menu) for me which I was quite impressed. The food took 40 minutes to arrive which was fine, the food was delicious and well presented. Somehow I actually feel like the room service was better than the room.

I would definitely stay here again but I wouldn’t rush back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo