“Disappointed”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #39 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I am a member of Fairmont Hotels and I have always regarded the Savoy, mostly due to my love for Oscar Wilde, as THE HOTEL to be in London. Last November I was eager to see how the restoration had turned out so we went for tea with some friends. We found it ok but somehow lacking in charm. What we found really disappointing was the very poor service (it took us half an hour to convince the waiter to bring vegetarian sandwiches!) and the mediocre quality of food and tea.

I thought that it might be because they had just opened and I decided to give it a second chance so we went back for lunch during our recent stay in London.

On Monday April 11 at twelve o'clock we walked into the hotel really, really hoping they would change my opinion.

We walked in the American bar and I was told to leave as I was wearing trainers!
My Prada shoes!!!! Trainers????

Would Oscar Wlde and Aubrey Beardsley be refused entrance as well for being too eccentrically dressed?

More amused than angry - their loss not ours!- we went back to our favorite bar at the Claridge's where we had a great lunch, excellent service and atmosphere, surrounded by top executives in sneakers!

The bar there was fully booked, the American bar at the Savoy was empty but for a table. You do the math!

Is the Savoy there for business or retro attitude? What a pity!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
23  Thank vanderluyden
Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We have just returned from London after being treated to a delicious afternoon tea at The Savoy. We entered at the rear of The Savoy and were greeted by a very pleasant large doorman. He made us feel welcome straight away. We were escorted to our table where the waiter explained everything to us and after asking which blend of tea we required brought a cake stand to our table. The top tier had four light scones, the second tier a selection of sandwiches, beef, egg, ham, salmon and chicken. On the bottom tier was fresh cream, jam and butter. Once the sandwiches were nearly finished the waiter appeared with another full plate of sandwiches! The scones were absolutely delicious. After this we were offered a wonderful selection of pastries and cakes. After all the lovely and tempting things we were at bursting point when the waiter appeared with a tray of slab cakes! Our waiter was absolutely brilliant and throughout the whole visit - about two and a half hours - he kept us very amused and made sure we were happy with everything. All the staff were so friendly and caring and made us feel so at home. Thank You so much for making our visit so amazing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank inspector33dorset
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Amazing! My wife booked as a surprise to celebrate my 50th birthday and to our great delight we were upgraded from a Deluxe Riverview Room to a Riverview Suite! The careful restoration of both the Edwardian and Art Deco parts of the hotel is just beautiful, all the high techo without losing the charm and elegance. As all the other great reviews say everything was absolutely perfect! as was dinner in the Savoy Grill. What more can we say!

Room Tip: Try to book a Riverview Room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whygothere
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Stayed here recently and with all the hype around the opening and the brand Savoy itself I was looking forward to my stay.
Firstly the hotel doesn't have a reception desk. The staff use earpieces and do the checking in while walking me to my room. I only found that out after I aksed an extremly rude concierge who didn't bother to look at me from his laptop. I guess it must have been an interesting website he was looking at.
The hotel itslef looks lovely, the food is great and the rooms comfortable.
I was very let down by the staff who don't smile or offer much assistance with anything. The overall feeling I walked away with was that everything seemed like a lot of trouble; not something you'd expect from Savoy or a 5* hotel.
With so many amazing hotels in London I defenitely won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank tinatana
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We had been looking forward to staying at the Savoy for a long time and on the
whole we weren’t disappointed. There’s obviously been a great deal of money
spent on the refurbishment and all parts of the hotel look fantastic. And it’s really
quite a thrill to be driven up the driveway for the first time.

We spent two nights in a junior suite with a large living/office area and a good
sized bedroom. The bathroom was a little cosy, but understandable given the age
of the building.

Some random opinions:

The Savoy Grill is great – very traditional English food, stunning art deco room,
the wait staff were enthusiastic but the service was not quite at the level of fine
dining.

The spa – very nice indoor pool and gym but in terms of the spa treatment rooms
and products there are much better places in London.

The butlers – I want one. Packing was never so easy :-)

The American Bar – disappointing – the atmosphere feels forced and it’s mostly
non-hotel guests coming in for a drink and complaining about the prices. But a
handy hint – if you are hotel guest they always keep a few seats free so don’t
queue.

The Beaufort Bar is fantastic. It’s a beautiful room and well worth dropping in for
an after dinner drink. The staff were also brilliant – personable and engaging.

Legally Blonde on at the Savoy Theatre is great fun.

A minor irritation – there is a ‘shoe code’ for most bars and public areas aside
from the foyer which feels antiquated. I can understand why but what bothered
me was the blunt way a member of staff communicated it to us (we couldn’t show
some local friends through the Thames foyer because he had trainers on – not
even a peek through the door). In my mind a shiny shoe has nothing to do with
class.

So all in all, it was a positive experience and great fun for a couple of nights. I
would return but with so many new luxury hotels opening in London, it has a lot
of competition and will need to work hard to maintain an edge and not rely on the
Savoy name alone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Urban3000
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I recently spent a week at the Savoy - my first visit back since the reopening. This was my 10th stay at the Savoy since 1972 and I can honestly say that it was the best. We had a one bedroom suite with a staff of butlers 24/7, and a personal butler assigned just to us. The hotel has been updated and is beautiful, but still very much the Savoy. The check-in process is fabulous,.no standing at a counter, you have a private check-in at a desk off the lobby. The rooms are elegant, and the Thames Foyer and restaurants are glorious. A Savoy Tea shop has been added to the delight of those of us who love tea - and handmade chocolates! The staff at the Savoy anticipates and meets your every need and seems to take pleasure in making their guests happy. From finding terrific seats to popular shows to unpacking, from train schedules to shopping, our butlers could not do enough for us. If you have a personal butler, do not hesitate to let him or her help in making your visit even more wonderful - they will not disappoint! Another plus is that the Savoy has "gone green" so no guilt in enjoying all the luxury the Savoy has to offer. Other than hoping to see a bit more of Kasper, our stay at the Savoy was absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: Ask about the availability of one bedroom river suites - well worth the money!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2011

From the moment our cab door opened both my partner and I received a wonderful level of service. The doormen were polite and efficient taking our bags to the room. We were greeted personally and as Fairmont members we were taken straight through to a private reception desk for check in.
The check in was very quick with minimal fuss and we were notified that we would be getting a complimentary room upgrade from a superior delux to a grand delux suite, this was provided because or room was not ready upon arrival,(may I point out this was no fault of the hotel, we simply arrived earlier than anticipated).
We were taken through to the Thames Foyer for afternoon tea until our room was prepared and it was at this point that the service we received went from excellent to exemplary; our waiter Raj was amazing, the level of attentiveness and overall customer service was outstanding. Politeness and efficiency are things you expect in such a setting but really, nothing was too much trouble from ensuring I had dairy alternatives, to making personalised tea recommendations and even giving us samples of chocolate to try in case we didn’t like them.
On being shown to our room, it was nice to see that it was spacious with a seating area, it had everything we needed, the bed was a really good size and everything was well proportioned and well laid out.
Our stay at The savoy from start to finnish was fantastic and we really couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple