5,689 results
All reviews american bar beaufort bar thames foyer afternoon tea butler service iconic hotel river view memorable stay cocktail bar junior suite covent garden birthday treat turn down service beautiful room the ritz every member of staff london eye
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed at the Savoy Hotel in June 2011 for one week. The hotel is centrally located, within walking distance of Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square. My room had modern furniture that looked like it was in a hotel, though I understand there are rooms that are more traditionally decorated. There were quality of service issues e.g. my room had 3 bathrobes, but on one day the cotton swabs were not replenished. The gym was open from 6:30 - 9 p.m. (not convenient for business travelers). The wi-fi is not free. Given the name, I was expecting more.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
5  Thank MiffysPillowBook
Reviewed 15 August 2011

What we liked
- The views over the Thames, Big Ben and the London Eye are stunning, one of the best views in London.
- The staff, courteous and helpful. The butler service in the suites is first class.
- The design of the rooms has been very well thought out - e.g. controls for the shower at the opposite end of the shower cubicle from the spray head, his and hers dressing areas.
- The room was very comfortable and quiet.

What could be better
- The decor is fine if you like country mansion style (I do not)
- The Baufort bar is shut on Sundays, and it can be difficult to get a seat in the American Bar
- The gym changing rooms and sauna were closed for work (8 months after refurbishment?)
- The indoor pool is small.

Overall, an excellent hotel with stunning views, but not entirely to my taste.

Room tip: River View is a must
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Azure55
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My friend and I went for a drink in the American Bar thinking that it would be an amazing experience, we were in fact very disappointed. The waitresses were very accommodating but we had to wait about 30 minutes for just two cocktails. In actual fact there were three ladies who came in after us and ordered after us but still had their drinks first. An American man who came in to wait to check in ordered a pimms with lemonade and had to wait so long that the maitre D came over to him and offered him the drink for free! The cocktails we had tasted average too or maybe our long wait left a bit of a sour taste in our mouths already. I wouldn't rush back again anytime soon.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Zuung
Reviewed 13 August 2011

As a frequent diner in London's top-end establishments, I have dined at the Savoy at least 10 times before the refurbishment, each time enjoying it more and more. My very recent visit to the Thames Foyer made me confused and angry. The staff have ruined this beautiful legend of a hotel.

My friend and I arrived at around 7pm, expecting to have drinks in one of the bars. The Beaufort was full and there was a waiting list at the American Bar. Fair enough, we sat in the Thames Foyer instead.

We were given the Beaufort bar menu, and treated with complete indignation when we asked to see the Thames Foyer's food menu as well. Apparently this is too much trouble.

Our drinks arrived, these were OK but absolutely nothing special for the price they cost. The crude garnish was just a huge chunk of grapefruit/lemon with pips still intact and a sprig of mint. Very amateur-looking. A minuscule bowl of nuts also arrived.

We then had to wait about 20 minutes for someone to take out food order: 2 Caesar salads. These were once again OK but not great. The croutons were burnt and stale, nothing remotely crunchy or fresh about them.

Our empty plates were taken away promptly, along with the nuts we barely had a chance to touch and that was it. For the next 35 minutes we sat with empty glasses, trying to catch the attention of our waiter who was busy mincing around and plumping cushions, trying his hardest to avoid eye contact with us.

We finally managed to get the attention of another waiter and ordered 2 desserts. I enquired about the flavours of their "famous ice teas" mentioned in the menu as having lots of different flavoured syrups available. In a hugely condescending tone, I was informed that they would make ice tea from any of the teas on the menu. Ok then, not quite what I was asking, but I suppose an Earl Gray will do.

The desserts arrived. By this point I was so thirsty that I asked where my ice tea was. The waiter apologised and said they were still cooling it down. This gave us the chance to try our Valrhona chocolate praline tranche, which for some reason had a chocolate sauce around it that tasted like roast beef. Perhaps the chefs use the same pans for everything?? The dessert was quite good, but incredibly rich and unbalanced. I could not finish it for feeling sick.

When my ice tea finally arrived, I was a little bemused to find out that it was literally just cold Earl Gray tea. No decoration on the glass, no infused fruit, just a little jug of sugar syrup, which I had to find out for myself since nobody said anything.

All this "luxury" came to just over £100. I don't mind paying lots of money for excellent food and service, but this was just a joke. Nobody even said goodbye to us on the way out. The staff were literally going out of their way not to talk to us, and when they did it was patronising and unbelievably unfriendly.

A great big shame. So much money invested in a hotel to make it look stunning, but they could not invest in the right people. Disappointing beyond belief.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
16  Thank londoner-reviews
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you for your detailed comments. Our staff receive so many wonderful compliments about their professional and attentive service, that it is very sad to learn that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. Your experiences will be carefully reviewed with all those concerned and corrective training will be implemented accordingly. We feel sure that you will find our services much improved on your next visit to The Savoy.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

The Bed is simply the most comfortable we have ever slept on! Great view from our room towards the Oxo Tower and the London Eye, it's so peaceful by just sitting there and looking out to the scenery! The Bathroom is very spacious with a huge Bath Tub and Wet Room. Do becareful though when going into the loo, open the glass door outwards and NOT inwards as it will hit the toilet seat! The complimentry bathroom toiletries are top quality but there was no hand/body lotion at all? We find the hallways a bit too warm, it feels like there are no air circulating at all but the decor in the hallway are as tastefully decorated as the bedrooms. The services and attitude from all the staffs that we have met are 1st Class, they could not do enough for us. All in all, it's one of the Best Hotel in UK we have stayed in!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends