“Altogether Wonderful Experience....”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stayed just one night last weekend. Quick celebration weekend with first night at Savoy and second at the Ritz.

Arrived at the hotel at about 930am after flying all night from the US and worried we would not have a room. Instead we were immediately greeted by name and taken up to our room. We were upgraded to one of the Georgian themed suites and our butler gave us a quick tour of the room before bringing up some tea before a much needed nap.

Suite was beautiful and exactly as pictured on website. Shower very snug as I am 6'4" 260 pounds, but that is par for the course in Europe. Renovation of room and building overall was meticulous and very well done. Whole building is spectacular.

We liked the American Bar but honestly felt the Beaufort was better.

Ate dinner in the River Restauraunt and it was quite good. We could not get in until 10pm so we rushed a bit through dinner but overal the meal was very good.

Just a few service glitches to report. We asked for a noon wakeup to make sure we didnt sleep the day away and it never came. Also, when I called butler to assist with dinner reservations in either River or Grille we were told fully committed. Admittedly I did not call until about 5pm for dinner on a Saturday night. However, once we got downstairs the River rest hosts were candid and said they could seat us around 10, which they did.

We stayed the next night at the Ritz and liked the Savoy much better. Ritz has its plusses, but is decidedly more "old school" than the Savoy which gives you the historical flavor with the modern amenities and style.

My wife and I cannot wait to go back and stay at the Savoy for a week!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goof87

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights, they have a great deal where you can pay for 2 nights and get 1 free which keeps the cost down to a very reasonable level for where you are. You can see where and why they closed this place for 2 years to refurb at a cost of over 50 million pounds. This hotel is sheer class everywhere, staff cannot help you enough, went here at the beginning of October Christmas shopping and staying here made what is normally a very stressful time having 4 children a doddle. You will not be disappointed with anything including the bill. Excellent

Room Tip: When the offers come up for the rooms they sell very quick!! Limited numbers
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trevor e
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Thank you for this great review. We are pleased to know that we were able to help reduce the stress of the Christmas shop!

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Occasionally I like to splurge on an obscenely expensive hotel, and this time it was the Savoy.

Point 1 Savoy.... Just because I arrived on foot having got the tube to Charing Cross, this does not make me a suspicious undesirable. I shouldn't have to justify myself to every doorman and bellboy before I get to check in

Point 2.... I think 3:30 is a reasonable time to check in. If the room isn't ready at this point, please invite me to take a drink in one of the bars or other public areas. Dont send me away to mooch around Covent Garden awaiting a phone call

Point 3.... A window that closes is always a plus for me. That way, you don't get woken up at 6:00 by every passing tradesman.

Point 4.... VAT!!! Dont play silly beggars. To quote prices exclusive of VAT is NOT normal and smacks of deception

Point 5.... When I bring these points up directly, my idea of a resolution is not the promise of an upgrade the next time I visit. So the only way I can get any recompense is to spend another small fortune....

I know the Savoy dont give a toss about Tripadvisor reviews.... The tone of any mail I've had from them has been "So, do your worst sunshine. We're The Savoy. End of!!"

Room Tip: Try the Corinthia
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Barry H

To the contrary we read every review and care very much about the comments our guests leave, and your views are just as important to us. We are sorry to learn that our Doormen’s approach made you feel uncomfortable, as this was certainly not their intention; and we should have been more hospitable while you waited for your room. We would be pleased to allocate a quieter room should you decide to visit us again and to also provide a quote that includes the VAT. We hope you will give us another chance to show you that we really do care.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

As a hotel guest you are well looked after, the lobby and dining areas are very opulent. The room we stayed in was very luxurious and the bed extremely comfortable.

Fantastic breakfast, the best full English with black pudding I've had in a while.

Great location, close to theatres, Convent Garden and museaums.

However the room was positioned next to the elavator shaft and in the morning the noise was not pleasant, with the occasional disturbance at night a light sleeper would suffer.

I can understand the comments of the previous thread with regard to haughty staff; should they suspect you are not a staying guest they may treat you with disdain which is unnecessary.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not situated next to the elavator shaft.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I had always wanted to have dinner at the Savoy and my 70th birthday was an ideal time and a surprise gift from my family.

It was a magical atmosphere and suberb meal. Service could not have been better.

It really is worth pushing the boat out for a special occasion as it was a memorable evening

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

What a lovely surprise. We are thrilled to have been able to create some happy memories for you all to share on such a special birthday. We look forward to welcoming you and your family again to The Savoy in the near future.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

As regular visitors to London, both as a couple and usually a group of friends, we love to experience the BIG City for drinks and/or an evening meal. Previous dinner venues have included The Oxo Tower, La Caprice, Fifteen therefore we are fully aware of London prices...and happy to accept them After taking in a Saturday matinee show we like to have pre-dinner drinks, followed by our evening meal.
We visited the Ritz a few months ago for a glass of bubbles in the Rivoli Bar...an amazing experience and gladly welcomed by the Staff. After reading about the newly refurbed Savoy we thought we would do the same on our recent visit, and surely receive the same warm welcome....NOT!!

I approached the lady at the entrance to the American Bar to ask if we could get a drink. After very rudely looking me up and down ( by the way I WAS dressed respectfully, not evening gown BUT smart!), she told me the bar was full. She did not even look into the bar! However,she did say we could go up a few steps to what is The Cloakroom and have a drink!
Cannot believe they expected us to spend probably £30+ for a couple of drinks standing around in an area where people were hanging hats & coats! Not a problem with the cost, but with The Cloakroom?
This reaction infuriated me. I realise the hotel cannot allow everyone into the bar.....but please, get into the real world. I would think that in the current climate, even The Savoy would welcome paying customers...after all, isn't their business HOSPITALITY?

No way were we giving them any patronage after that greeting so we decide to visit the new Renaissance hotel at St Pancras...totally, totally different reception. Warm and friendly! The hotel is beautiful, and we had a lovely experience of the Booking Office bar. We will certainly be re-visiting to dine in the lovely restaurant there on our next visit to the Capital.
So, a tip to all......if you're thinking of visiting The Savoy for a drink....DON'T.. take yoursleves to The Ritz or St Pancras, where you WILL be welcome.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mollyinpenk

We are sorry you decided not to stay and enjoy the American Bar. This bar is certainly very popular, however we find that our guests enjoy looking at the exhibits in the Savoy Museum which is used as an additional bar area for guests waiting to be seated in the American Bar. We hope you will give us another chance to show you some Savoy hospitality.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

From the moment we arrived at The Savoy, service was absolutely outstanding. After 20+ hours of flying, our arrival was met with a flurry of top-hatted doormen taking luggage, helping hands from the taxi, assurances that luggage would be sent up to the room. In room checkin was fantastic. The room itself - amazing. Spacious, fantastic bathroom, very comfortable bed. We dined at the hotel several times during our three night stay. Breakfast was exceptional - rather than the usual buffet, table service was offered and all breakfast items were delicious. Had made reservations for Saturday afternoon tea in the opulent lounge and it was well worth it - an iconic setting and the greatest scones! Concierge service excellent. Great location, an exploratory short walk on our first evening took us directly by Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey while a short walk in the opposite direction placed us in front of St Paul's Cathedral. Would not consider any other hotel for future visits to London.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tahn85

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were able to explore some of the great, iconic sites of London right on our doorstep. We hope to welcome you both again to The Savoy very soon.