“Big Hotel with a bigger Heart”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #39 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Paris
“Big Hotel with a bigger Heart”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here on our way to Paris and enjoyed every moment .The hotel has been refurbished since the last time we were here but has not lost any of its Beauty ,Style ,Grace and Atmosphere .Staff and service both wonderful and warm .Treat yourself sometime !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugo R
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for finding the time during your busy travel schedule to write such a charming review. We very much hope that you will have time to stay a little longer when you are next passing through.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We spent a long weekend in London and decided to go for a centrally located hotel. So this was the first time we have been in the Savoy and it was a great experience / can definetly recommend. Despite the size of the hotel, the atmosphere and attention of staff was phenomenal and very personell. Attention to detail and the well-being of the guest is a clear priority. The rooms are large and spacious and nicely decorated in traditional English style, yet all the modern features you would expect from such a hotel. At night we paid a visit to the Champagne bar which had a live performance with band. Very nice setting and great cocktails. The breakfast is also an experience it itself in the beautiful setting. Will definetly come back. Only drawback like in many hotels is the surcharge one has to pay for high speed internet access.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed at this iconic hotel for three nights from the 4th December last year residing in Edwardian suite 358 and Savoy Queen 356 with my mother.
We arrived by black taxi (and contrary to another review we were not ignored) from the railway station and were given a fabulous and friendly welcome by three charming gentlemen at the door. This greeting was all I needed to realise we were going to have a wonderful and memorable stay.
Our rooms were very fine and very spacious indeed. The view from the sitting room ran down towards the Embankment and to the side we overlooked Savoy Place from the bedrooms. (There is some noise at night due to deliveries and staff having their breaks. It did not bother me particularly as it is the centre of London and I expected to hear a bit of life).

I have to make a special mention to Carly, our delightful butler who saw that my mother got a cup of tea (very important to her!) on arrival. Also a special mention to Said Bayoumy who took time to give my sister, niece, grand-niece whilst visiting us at the hotel, mum and myself a very illuminating and interesting tour of the hotel after our indulgent afternoon tea, being very kind to my 8 year old grand-niece. We were very impressed with him.
All staff were very accomodating and so very polite and helpful with few exceptions. I preferred having breakfast in the Thames Foyer which has a fine ambience compared to The River Restaurant's more modern feel; the service was a little tentative and slow on our last morning (my only criticism) but our dinner had been very good with sevice to match.

Our stay was close to perfect, lovely service, wonderful welcome, superb accomodation, great caberet in the Beaufort Bar that I had booked prior to arriving. I booked directly with the hotel and also all reservations such as afternoon tea and entertainment in the Beaufort Bar to ensure a place weeks in advance which I would strongly advise to avoid disappointment. The Savoy puts other London 5 star hotels I have used in the shade in my opinion.
Hopefully I will return.

Room Tip: Book a suite
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ChampagneDoberman
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thanks for the special mention of Carly and Said who helped to make your stay extra special. We have shared your lovely review with them both and they are delighted. We also really hope you will have another opportunity to return again very soon.
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I took my mum and sister to the Savoy for my mum's birthday, as it had just been through a major refurbishment and was one of the most highly regarded afternoon teas in London. It is beautiful inside, and rather grand with a lovely atmosphere. However, the service we received during our afternoon tea was absolutely appalling.

Once seated we were served our tea, which was lovely, but then we literally waited for about 45 minutes before the waitor came over and poured the last of the tea from the pot into my cup, but by then it was stone cold! I asked if we could have some warm tea so he brought over a fresh pot but my cup was full of cold tea then so I had no cup to use. I shared some of my sisters tea whilst waiting for the waitor to come back over, but of course he didnt come over to check if we were ok, so I had to go and ask for another cup. We had no milk left but the waitor didnt think to check that either. We waited a very long time between food; there was no flow unlike most afternoon teas. We literally felt like we might as well have been inconveniencing him by being there. Part way through we even spoke to the manager who had a brief word with the waitor, but his attitude towards us didn't change at all.

My mum was, of course, literally burning up whilst sitting there, and it completely ruined her birthday. We have been to many recommended afternoon tea establishments, such as the Ritz, the Ivy and the Dorchester, and yet the service at the Savoy was simply disgraceful for the amount of money we paid.

The whole experience still angers me when I think about it as we spent over £200, including a service charge of over £40!!!! I think it wouldnt have been as bad if they had offered to disregard the service charge but it was just very poorly handled in my opinion. Lets just say I wouldnt recommend going for afternoon tea at The Savoy and we won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
18 Thank preciouspixies
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
We notice your visit was in June of last year, and whilst there can simply be no excuse for the poor service you received at that time, I would like to reassure you that our Afternoon Tea service today receives many wonderful compliments from our guests. We have contacted you directly and hope to welcome you, your sister and your mother again to The Savoy in the near future.
Walsall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at the hotel in august 2011 for my daughters 12th birthday. The welcome was amazing with a cake and sweets in our room upon arrival. We did have one mishap, the maid changed the sheets and scooped up my daughters teddy and sent it to the laundry, we reported this and within hours the whole hotel seemed to know about the missing teddy, with us constantly being reassured that things would turn out alright as my daughter was distraught as she had had this since she was a baby after 2 nights the teddy still hadn't turned up so we decided to stay another night and we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel upgraded us to a suite for the inconvenience. After a long days shopping we returned to our suite to find my daughters teddy lying on her bed all clean and fresh, my daughter was delighted altogether a very sticky situation expertly handled by first class staff. A big thankyou from all of us

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ellie S
Goodness! If only Teddy could talk what adventures he would tell. We are very sorry for creating an anxious time, but which thankfully had a happy ending.
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The traditional nature of the menu means you won't see any exciting new dishes but you will get great ingedients cooked well. The staff are fantastic, possibly the best in London.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Managed to get a special deal here, and it still turned out to be one of the most expensive weekend trips I've had, not a place to stay for the financially faint hearted.
Stayed in  one of the Art Demo Suites, which comes with a Butler service, which is a really nice amazing feature. Ring and 2 seconds later the Butler appears at your door, and hopefully your wish is granted!
As you'd expect the suites are impossible to fault, they have everything,and  breakfast in the suite lounge an absolute  must btw.
Not sure I would agree on one of the previous post about the location not being great, the hotel is very close for Covent Garden, and the array of decent quantity shops that offers. A very good location in my book. It's also sitting very close to the majority of London key theatres.
Dined at both hotel restaurants the River, and the Grill, and both are quantity, probably worth booking these in advance of any stay, as these are very popular London restaurants and while they will always accommodate guests, you may end up with a awkward seating time.
Thought the gym and pool very good, but I guess one shouldn't be expecting anything else.
 The American Bar while very famous is a bit of a let down, dark while low ceilings, seemed lacking something, although they do an amazing Dark n Stormy cocktail. Expect the touch here is with the drinks and service, both excellent! The Beaufort bar is a must, interesting design, high ceiling, more visibility .. Great champagnes by the glass!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple