“Afternoon tea experience”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #39 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I treated my Mum to afternoon tea at The Savoy on Monday and we both thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The room was stunning and the service impeccable; the staff were extremely friendly and attentive, immediately putting us at our ease. The tea started with delicious sandwiches, scones, jam and cream etc. Next came a selection of tiny cakes and pastries which looked exquisite but sadly were absolutely stone cold, the lavender éclair was rock solid with incredibly hard choux pastry, on the whole they were disappointing; beautiful to behold but not that delicious. The final offering was a choice of either a rich fruit cake (my Mum had this and it was very good), a Victoria sponge (my choice but had way too much vanilla for my liking) or a chocolate torte which we passed on. The tea served was the Savoy blend which was fantastic. The only real disappointment was that I think there must have been decorating/building work going on in the vicinity and there was a distinct smell of woodfiller(?) which wasn't that pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Four of us went to the Savoy for afternoon tea. Nothing was to much trouble. The sorted the sandwiches into vegetarian, those that only eat fish and carnivores. The service was very friendly and down to earth, not at all stuffy as some might expect. Your tea is constantly topped up as are your sandwiches. Non stop supply of cake, if you could make room. The hotel looks wonderful after its makeover. I have one criticism. Every one has to go down approx.' four steps to reach the level where you are seated. If you are someone with mobility issues, as one of our party was, this can be very difficult and I would have thought the Savoy would have solved that problem.
We all enjoyed our experience and I would certainly recommend "Afternoon Tea at The Savoy.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We went into the American Bar after lunch at the Savoy grill on Saturday. ( which was fab ) I love this bar and have been many times before. Very well organised service is impeccable and nothing is to much trouble. My sister wanted a cocktail that was not on the menu and without question it was made for her and was delicious. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank plugster10
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and i stayed in the Savoy for three nights recently and i have to say it was the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The king bed was so comfortable. The only down side with the room was the shower! It was over the bath and getting out one morning i slipped and only for the towel rack i would have really hurt myself! Im 5 months pregnant so it wasnt the safest. Also the shower wasnt powerful i found it very hard to rinse the shampoo out of my hair, i needed up having to use the hand held shower head. The toilet seat was also broke, when you sat down it swung to one side. All that aside i would stay here again but next time i would try and book a room with a shower on its own and not over the bath.

We went for breakfast one morning and it was a real treat! The french toast was the best i have ever had. Great hotel will be back after i have the baby to try out some cocktails in the bar:)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank malone2012
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The Savoy is a truely 5 star hotel. All staff were very accommodating. We did not have to check in as we were greeted and escorted to our room on arrival. We stayed in a 'Luxury River View Room' which had a fantastic view over the Thames.The room was stunning and sumptuous. The hotel's deco in general was beautifully presented throughout. Definately will be back.

Room Tip: If you want a stunning view of the Thames i recommend the 'Luxury River View Room,
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have never stayed in a 5 star hotel before. I now know what 5 star is meant to be! This was a special treat to celebrate my husband's Birthday. We took our 13 year old daughter with us -now she does not want to stay anywhere else. Its elegant and luxurious. It's not prentious though some of the guests might well be. We were made to feel very welcome and the attention to detail is what you would expect! When I mentioned it was my husband's Birthday present an unsolicited and exquisite cake was delivered to our room! We didn't eat at the hotel-our budget only stretched so far but we had a very enjoyable experience and feel privileged to have been able to stay. It is very expensive but everyone should try it once! We loved its ambience.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

From getting out of the car at the start of our trip the stay at the savoy was really brilliant. The hotel is luxury and class but not overwhelming. The staff are friendly efficient and nothing is too much trouble. Rooms are beautifully decorated with old world Charm and elegance of a bygone era, you feel like someone special here. The American bar was fantastic great cocktails. I went there for just a quick break and felt like staying forever, definitely going back.

Room Tip: We upgraded to deluxe king which was lovely but the more you can afford the better you get.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple