“Live up to its name”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #43 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed in this hotel because of a conference.
Very nice hotel that certainly live up to its name. Room is very nice, and service is good. Good location too, just across the Thames river, and walking distance to major tube stations like charring cross, covent garden and embankment.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,952)

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Step back to a time when standards were high and English afternoon tea was the usual thing. Wonderful service, choice of teas, lovely sandwiches and pastries. Warm scones with clotted cream and jam, all delicious and so filling. A marvelous experience and so relaxing.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I bought my husband a lunch voucher for two with champagne for Christmas and today we returned to my favourite hotel. The staff were extremely attentive, friendly and made us feel very welcome, they could not have done more. The three course lunch was more than adequate and the food was perfect. The service is second to none without a doubt. I find it very difficult to relate to any bad review on this hotel and its wonderful staff. I can only think they must be obnoxious people. I have only stayed here once prior to the refurb with my daughter who was just 14 at the time, my word did they make our stay so special, i certainly hope to return again soon. Thank you so much for a lovely time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I'm lucky enough to have stayed in many great London Hotels but this place ooooozes glamour! I surprised my husband with a stay here for his birthday and I think even he was overwhelmed. For the first time in a long time everything about our trip went well. We didn't even have to check in-we were met at the door by a lovely lady who led us straight to our room.

My only complaint was that there was no tea in the room.
Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Sign up for Fairmont President's club for free wifi etc
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Everything about the Savoy is excellent, from walking into the impressive lobby area to the attentive and helpful staff.

Unfortunately our room this time had no view and because of the old sash style windows/doors, the noise from the street travelled into the room - a lot of London noise very early in the morning, we were room 308 so I'd suggest avoiding if you can. We also asked for ironing board & tea/coffee making facilities when asked for our preferences by email prior to arriving, on check in the guy told us the tea and coffee would arrive later, and we had to phone down for iron and board. It seems self-defeating to ask for your preferences in advance but not fulfil them, were it a lesser hotel I wouldn't even mention it but this is The Savoy, detail matters.

Room itself was amazing, huge room with high ceilings and finished beautifully, large TV with great selection of channels and movies and heated floor bathroom with excellent power shower. Oh, most comfortable beds too, just fantastic! We had drinks in the foyer one night, the cocktails were very good. I was travelling with my teenage daughter, word of caution that they don't allow kids in either the Beaufort or American bars. Worth noting if you are thinking of a nightcap on the way back from theatre.

A couple of minor niggles but really, The Savoy is just about the best hotel experience in the world, SO much better than the Ritz with none of the pompous snobbery that goes on.

We ate at Simpsons on the Strand one night before Let it Be at the Savoy Theatre, both were excellent and well worth a visit, I've also eaten in Savoy grill on previous occasions, food there is terrific too. Didn't have breakfast so can't comment but did use my President Club vouchers on check out to pay for some of those cocktails!

Location is amazing and it is within walking distance of everywhere - London Eye 15 minutes, Parliament 15 minutes, Trafalgar Square 10 minutes and Buckingham Palace 20 minutes, no need for tube!

Room Tip: Avoid 308, very noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank monaco7
Reviewed 1 May 2013

If you are looking for a superb afternoon in London served the way it should be - book at the Savoy. And book you must as it is very busy! They serve from 1.30pm so its just as well to skip lunch and you can really do justice to the beautiful sandwiches and cakes which just keep coming!
The setting is wonderful - we were a party of 6 so had nice comfy sofa's and chairs. There is a choice of menu - one has slightly more savoury items. The sandwiches are just perfect in every way - delicious filling and precision cut. If you like a particular one - just ask for more (and more and more) and they will keep coming! The scones are perfect too. A glass of two of champagne is a must although the vast array of tea's could be enough for some!
We arrived at 1.45 and left at 5 but could have stayed longer such was the relaxing unhurried atmosphere. The staff are lovely and friendly and didnt seem to mind us pigging out! And why not - they certainly charge enough but if you designate the time and dont have lunch - it makes pretty good value for this quality of hotel and the whole experience. To be recommended. I have not rated it excellent as for me, the cake element of the tea looked very pretty but just lacked a bit!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We had a lovely afternoon tea at The Savoy Hotel, it was a Birthday gift for my partner and we really enjoyed the experience. The one I picked was the Champagne afternoon tea, we choose to have the drink before we had anything to eat. We then spent the next two and a half hours relaxing and having some nice sandwiches cakes and lots of chat. If you mention it is a Birthday they bring a little cake out with candle and the piano player plays happy birthday all very nice. We did manage to get through all the cakes, so they offered us the option to take them home, and presented us with a lovely box and a selection of cakes to take away.

The staff were excellent very attentive, we went on a Saturday afternoon @ 15:30 so a busy time, but there was plenty of staff to cope.

Try it you will not be disappointed, as I always say relax and enjoy yourself life is to short.

J & M