“Afternoon tea: Great food, not so great service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #42 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Durham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea: Great food, not so great service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

I really really wanted to come back from taking my mother to The Savoy for afternoon tea to celebrate her 50th birthday on 29/4/13 and write a glowing review. Really, I did. Sadly, this is not the case. Although it was a very special experience, it would put me off staying there (if I could ever afford it!) let alone eating there again.

It all started with the arrival. The doormen were busy taking something in through a side door, and did not even notice our arrival. No greeting, no opening the door for us, nothing. Then when we arrived in the lobby, we were just stood there not knowing what to do. Nobody came over to offer us any assistance, even though there must have been 10 members of staff in the lobby. Bitterly disappointing first impression.

We were sat down and had the menus explained to us, and they were already aware of my mother's diabetes (I had mentioned this in my booking form and in the confirmation phone call a few days beforehand) so all was good there. However, they knew the time of our arrival, but the sugar free scones for my mother were still baking in the oven, As a result she received hers long after I had received mine. It was the same with the pastries. I would have thought our food would have come at the same time to allow us to enjoy it together.

Our waitress also left us on several occasions to go and talk to her mother in the bar, which I thought was rather rude to be quite honest.

So, although the food was very good, I found the service took the gloss off the whole experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on some particular issues relating to your recent visit to The Savoy. We were sorry to hear of your disappointment on what should have been a celebratory occasion for you and your mother. Please be assured that we will seriously review all aspects of your visit and the feedback you have provided. We do hope you will afford The Savoy another chance to welcome you for a perfect experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hertford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

If you're after a bit of luxury when staying in London, you can't get better than The Savoy! Location is perfect and the staff are world class. We came in through the back entrance and handed the doorman our bag. He took my name and pointed us toward the front of house. It must have took us all of 2 minutes to get there and we were greeted by a lady who welcomed me by my name - very good. She took us to our room and showed us where everything was. The room was everything I though it was going to be, 5*. We ate at the new Kaspar's bar, within The Savoy, which I highly recommend. Also, the cocktails at The American Bar were superb! Brilliant stay.

• Stayed May 2013
essex/uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

We went for Xmas afternoon tea. The savoy has always been my favourite tea venue. We had a fairly new waiter and although everyone has to start somewhere I dont expect 2nd quality service here. The sandwiches were excellent and refilled when our new waiter remembered.
The biggest issue we had was overcooked choux pastry and macaroons that instead of that marvellous soft interior were brittle the whole way through.
After our tea we did speak to the restaurant manager and was dealt with in a very professional manner. Would I return yes in time. I have had so many glorious teas here I would forgive the savoy this time.

• Stayed December 2012
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

This hotel is for those who want to be pampered in luxury. There are two types of decor....Art Deco and Edwardian. It is located within walking distance of Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminister Abbey, The London Eye, The Aquarium and many of the theatres. The concierge was most helpful giving us names of places to eat off property. I felt like and was treated like a Queen for our entire stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank readyandpacked
Salcombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We attended a function here at the Savoy and from the moment we entered the building to the time we left the whole experience was magical.
Service was amazing at every turn as were the canapes and food in the evening.
The American Bar was an experience in itself and was like a step back in time to a softly lit bar with a pianist plaing and singing. An amazing experience-perhaps one day we may even stay over......?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed here as a one-night splurge, and it completely spoiled us. From the time you walk in the front door and they mysteriously know your name, to the amazing room, to the butler service, to the spectacular public areas, etc... Everything at this hotel was perfect, and I only wish we could have stayed longer. I suppose being bumped up to a suite for free has helped my impression of this place, but I have a feeling that all rooms were equally amazing. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed either.

An absolute must is a cocktail in the Beaufort Bar and the American Bar. Book a table earlier in the day, or you may not be able to later on.

As a couple who didn't exactly fit in with the upper-class moneyed folks who normally stay here, we felt perfectly welcomed by the staff and were treated very nicely.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WinnipegTraveller045
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed in this hotel because of a conference.
Very nice hotel that certainly live up to its name. Room is very nice, and service is good. Good location too, just across the Thames river, and walking distance to major tube stations like charring cross, covent garden and embankment.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business