“The Perfect Blend Of Style And Substance”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #37 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 December 2013

To be perfectly honest, based on very mixed reviews from this site, we were quite skeptical about staying at The Savoy. But as it was on my list of London hotels I had to try, and combined with a very generous package offered through FHR, my mom and I were blissfully surprised with our eight night stay. We felt well looked after from pre-arrival to departure (and after). Maisie Burgess in reservations was a star in handling all my queries and requests, as were each member of the concierge team I emailed, as I like to have to all my meals booked in advance of my arrival.
We chose to use the Savoy car service, and upon arrival at the hotel, we were warmly greeted by the phenomenal door and porter staff (truly the best front staff I have ever encountered), and the lovely Boris from guest relations who gave us a tour of the hotel before escorting us up to our room, or junior suite, as we were happily told, because we were upgraded from the category we had booked (a luxury king). Boris then introduced us to our butler, Bianca, who was a star throughout our stay. We're fairly low maintenance, but she couldn't do enough for us, offering to press garments, pack, unpack, etc. She truly wanted us to relax and enjoy, which was the feeling we had throughout the hotel. We felt appreciated, even though it was our first stay. And even though it was our first stay, we felt like we were home.
To me, it's the little touches that make my stay unforgettable. At the Savoy, there were so many that I'll highlight the best: the leather jewelry trays by the bedside and in the safe, the box of chocolates brought up mid-way through our stay along with a note checking in on us and making sure we were enjoying ourselves, the doormen actually holding open doors for us when we arrived with packages from a day's shopping despite there being revolving doors we could have easily used, concierge standing as soon as we approached their desk, and many, many more.
The decor throughout the hotel is full of glitz and glam but really, really comfortable. Our junior suite was small but well laid out, with a separate dressing area and place to store our luggage. It's well maintained, clean, with housekeeping constantly replenishing toiletries. I got a kick out of the framed photo of Tennessee Williams by my bedside, and truly enjoyed the history that is so much a part of the hotel. They're proud of their heritage and so they should be.
Onto the restaurants. Of course, we had to have afternoon tea in the Thames Foyer (twice) and Rufus at the host's stand was a delight, ensuring that we were taken care of each time we saw him, regardless of where we were going. We truly enjoyed our chats with him. While tea was a treat, I personally enjoyed the foyer for a light dinner. The food was excellent as was the service. We still can't figure out how every member of the waitstaff knew we were staying in house, but they did.
We also dined at The Savoy Grill twice, and found it very thoughtful that on our first visit, one of the managers came over at the end of our meal, saw that we were stuggling to finish our desserts and presented us with a bag of macaroons to take upstairs with us to nibble on later. As an aside, they were delicious, but the pork dish was incredible. On our second visit, Tom Jones was dining two tables away.
Normally, we order room service for dinner after the theatre for ease, never expecting much more than a quick bite. But The Savoy has the best room service (except for The Langham's club sandwich), hands down. It arrived prompt and hot, thanks to a warming tray that actually did its job properly. We're still discussing the chips that have spoiled us for all others. The soups we sampled were flavorful, fresh and tasty. And, as a New Yorker, I am a pizza snob who has to try it wherever she goes. Trust me when I say that I would order the pizza from room service out in a restaurant without thinking twice. It was absolutely moreish. We enjoyed breakfast in our room as well, and another nice touch was that although full english breakfast was included in our rate, we were offered the equivalent monetary amount in a la carte items, should we wish to choose for ourselves, which was welcome.
The Beaufort Bar is Art Deco magnificent, and we enjoyed lovely cocktails in there before dinner one evening. Sadly, we never made it to the American Bar (through our own fault), but hope to do so in the future.
Lastly, we also had several meals at Kaspar's, the last of which was marred by a blip in service at the hostess's stand. I chose to write an email of complaint which was handled professionally and promptly by the gracious Jacco. What I will say about Kaspar's though, is that they offer chocolate lollipops at the end of the meal that are positively addictive. Luckily, they're available to purchase at the tea shop, and we took advantage of this on several occasions.
Of course, there was a minor fault with our stay. The weekend papers arrive incomplete. Part of my visit to London involves pouring over the Sunday supplements in The Times and The Telegraph. I had to ask for them. Of course, they were brought up in minutes, but why can't they be part of the papers to begin with? I'm guessing because the papers wouldn't fit in the leather holder hung on the door in the morning, but whatever the reason, the only reason I'm even noting this minor situation is because everything else was so flawless.
Overall, yes, this trip was expensive. But it was not without value. And I look forward to a return visit in the hopefully not too distant future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JujubeeNewYork
Write a ReviewReviews (4,892)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stay here at least twice a year normally in a suite. This time we opted for a king size room with partial river view. service exceptional. Food exceptional. Cannot fault Kaspers. afternoon tea was delightful. Anyone who gives this hotel a bad review must be insane!
Concierge we're very very good, The American bar is fantastic. My only question would be .... Why are the bottles of wine or champagne only half bottles in a room, yet in a suite they are full size?
the staff cannot do enough for you, beds are comfy. Absolutly Fantastic A++++++. See you in Feb Savoy....and people do not listen to the negative feedback(if any) they are clearly mad!

Room Tip: River view all the way
3  Thank jean b
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Savoy is a gorgeous property, right in the middle of The Strand. Walk outside the front entrance and you are in the midst of the London energy! We spent 4 nights in a beautiful room. Disappointed that we did not receive the upgrade we were assured we would. Breakfast is amazing, high tea superb, dinner in the grill was amazing. Yes, The Savoy is expensive however we loved the holiday decorations, watching the chocolate makers literally build a chocolate Christmas house in full view. There are no extras given here, no perks but you do get what you pay for. The only partially negative comment I would make is the concierges give terrible directions but they do provide good maps. Overall we loved The Savoy!

Room Tip: we were on the 5th floor which was great but we would have preferred facing the street or the river...
3  Thank nancylovestraveling
Reviewed 3 December 2013

For our 25th wedding anniversary we decided to push the boat out and stayed at the Savoy Hotel for two nights, this was the best Hotel we have ever stayed at.
The staff were polite,friendly,helpful nothing was to much trouble and the room we had was excellent and cleaned to high a very high standard
Complementary cake in our room on arrival which was delicious
Great central location for getting around London etc
Would highly recommends staying here for a great experience in ones life
Derek & Sarah Bale

Room Tip: All rooms here are of high standard
2  Thank Derekbale
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on reaching such a significant milestone, and thank you for choosing to celebrate this special occasion with a stay at The Savoy. I was pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the hotel and that you made the most of our advantageous location.

Thank you for the fantastic feedback which I look forward to sharing with my team.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Savoy is one of those iconic hotels that you just have to experience once in your life. Service is impeccable, the hotel is impressive and the American Bar has some of the best cocktails I have ever had. We had dinner in the evening at Kaspars and the seafood was just wonderful - in fact all the food was extremely good quality. One of those unforgettable experiences.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Its a prestige to stay in such a hotel sorry should called as palace, we stayed in a junior suite which can accommodate 3 Adults, with small living, dinning and writing desk, huge full bath with separate shower and wonderful Rose fragrance amenities, Staffs are highly friendly, lobby is quite and neat, Excellent breakfast,

Room Tip: Junior Suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MohamedMeeran

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Savoy experience. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and the hotel amenities. Thank you also for taking the time to mention or dedicated team, this is feedback which I look forward to sharing with them.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Booked in march 2013 for afternoon tea for 12 people on 30 11 13 . Very disappointed. Poor service, dried up sandwiches. We had to ask for the gluten free tea time over when it had been pre ordered. Had to contiually ask for top ups of tea when it would finally be served either very weak or 'stewed' because it had stood for so long.
Will try elsewhere next time !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that your recent visit for Afternoon Tea did not meet expectations.
There cannot be any excuse for issues such as unmindful and inattentive service from our team, especially as your special requests had been noted in advance. Please rest assured that the matter has been addressed by our executive director of food & beverage for urgent review and I have made sure that additional training is taking place to address the service issues, which you experienced.

Please be assured that your experience is not representative of our usual standards of service and I do hope that you will reconsider and return to The Savoy as I am sure that you will find the service to be much improved