“View. View. View.”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Savoy felt much larger than it was given the number of dining/entertainment options, and it definitely felt like the place to be on a holiday evening in December. The Dickens-traditional lobby and public spaces were beautifully decorated for the holidays, and the spirit was quite festive. Now whether the bustle and busy-ness was a positive or a negative is likely a matter of personal preference. It was a bit much to us; as hotel guests we felt overwhelmed by the venue guests, and several times we noted a (high-end) Las Vegas vibe.

Nevertheless, arrival at this history-filled hotel was very nice, from the doorman who introduced himself by name to the young lady who accompanied us directly to our room without the requisite stop at registration. Nice touch. Our room was nice and comfortable though a tad dated. Bed and bedding was quite good. Bathroom nice but nothing extraordinary for a 5-star property.

However, all of this paled in comparison to the room's spectacular Thames view -- spanning from Big Ben to the Waterloo Bridge, centered on the London Eye. Even better, our room had a huge window by London standards so full advantage of the sight could be enjoyed. This alone was worth the experience.

This was a short visit for us, and we had little time to explore the neighborhood. We were impressed by how PACKED the streets were. This rather typified our Savoy experience. We liked the hotel fine and loved our room's window, but next trip to London I think we'll opt back to a quieter locale and property.

Room Tip: Go for the view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hoh_11
Write a ReviewReviews (5,010)

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in a jr suite which was absolutely fabulous. The room was large with a separate lounge room and a beautiful bathroom. Upon arrival you are greeted and taken up to your room, no long check in process. The butler service is fantastic and they truly do take care of of you. We regret not having high tea in the hotel, it looked amazing and rumoured by many to be the best in London. Only comment would be that we did not have anywhere to put our luggage, no folding luggage stands which we thought was really strange.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank NurAndJ
Reviewed 19 December 2013

All the reviews are true, this is an exceptional hotel. The room, the amenities, the staff, everything was perfect, even the smallest details. And the check-in was absolutely flawless, I still ask myself how did they figure out in the way between the taxi and the entrance door what was my name and had everything prepared, showed my directly my room and finished the check-in over there.
do not miss their wonderful cocktails in the american bar!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PKtravelerKP
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I have stayed at The Savoy 4-5 times this year and will be there again over Christmas.
This trip like every other was excellent. It is difficult to explain exactly why, as there is not really anything that stands out as more than one might expect, though I suppose in this day and age it is a pleasant surprise when any establishment does what they should with efficiency and competence.
I do like to stay in a particular room, however this time I had neglected to request it when I booked. The room I was given (321 fact fans) was perfectly pleasant and the way the entrance door becomes part of the curved wall of wardrobes is very nice, though it was substantially smaller and only had one bed, albeit very large and comfortable.
The toiletries are really very nice indeed. I always intend to see if they sell them but I'm a forgetful soul - maybe next time.
The Christmas hampers were set out outside Savoy Tea like raffle prizes and did look a little out of place but that is a minor detail.
We had cocktails pre show in the American Bar and post show in the Beaufort. The American Bar is perfectly fine, though the carpet is a little 'Holiday Inn'. I much prefer the Beaufort Bar which is very dark and glamorous.
Unfortunately on this occasion I had to escape in the early hours which meant I missed the incredible breakfast.
If I am in London there needs to be a very good reason for me to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Go for the twin rooms, the queen beds are large enough for all but the heftiest mammals and the room...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lee J
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Check in has never been more seamless, this is how the elite do it. Greeted at the door by a rather dapper top hat wearing man (oh, how very English!) who asks your name while walking you through revolving doors and whisking your luggage away. “Don’t worry about it ma’am, they will be taken right to your room” within seconds another attentive member of staff greets us and is introduced to us by the door man- her stunning appearance would not have been missed on a catwalk anywhere, I would like to say “we felt at home immediately” but we did feel a smidge out-of-place.

The night before we had a last-minute change of plans and booked the Strand Palace (3 star, well priced and right across the road, review to come) and sauntered over the street to The Savoy looking like a right pair of chavs. B was in ripped jeans (designer, but still..) and a footy shirt, and I was rocking a pair of jeans that should have been washed a few days earlier but I hadn’t had a chance to, coupled with a new shirt from Primark (probably the cheapest clothing shop in the world- you would be hard pressed to find an item sold there for more than $20) We looked like Posh and Becks, you know, before they were famous and still living on the estates.

The staff pretended not to notice, which I thought was nice. We were directed to the “reading room” to check in, it was all very personalised, and exactly why you would pay a little extra to stay somewhere “nice”.

The little extras were not unmissed for the duration of our stay. The wardrobe had lighting inside that turned on with a motion sensor. Even if the door was left open for some time, the second I stepped near it, the light would go on. Details are what make a hotel like this (and honestly, I have yet to find fault with the Fairmont chain as a whole this is my third one as a guest and 4th to inspect, the level of service and attentional to details really is fantastic) other things to note were the writing desk complete with the usual pens, pencil, note pads and envelopes (with a high GSM I’ll have you note!) along with the cables for internet connection, regular USB and a multi adapter. There was an Ipod dock and a Savoy Branded Umbrella for those rainy London days, and next to the beds lay note pads and more pencils (in case you have lucid dreams and need to write them down?) and a jewellery setting tray (for the ladies) .

My habit of “souvineeering” toiletries was only exaggerated by the fact there were two housekeeping services a day. If I ‘happened’ to misplace the shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, bath salts, and body lotion minutes after checking in, it was replaced only a few hours later. I now have excess baggage, but will smell amazing for weeks to come!

The turn-down service is probably the only place where they ‘drop the ball’ for a 5 star hotel. There are no chocolates on the pillow. I know, a minor complaint, but a worthy one, when you are used to getting them at other Fairmont properties. (look at me, from Chav to snob in just a few minutes!) it is something you will notice as lacking. I did prebuy the Chocolate dipped strawberries for 8 quid, which were amazing, but not quite the “turn down service” I had come to expect.

The room itself was actually gasp-worthy! The general tones were gold and cream which screamed olde world London, and exactly what I wanted to see, the dark wood was accented by gilded door handles, while the bathroom took on a slightly art deco edge as a nod to the hotels past. The black and white interior with marble flooring was well at home with the rest of the room. The windows looked out on to the courtyard complete with faux green grass to look as it the area was maintained. Lets be honest, if you have paid $700 a night, the last thing you want to open your windows to is a dirty roof and pipe work, so they done ‘good’ there.

In regards to the rest of the hotel, yes, it was fabulous.We had a few cocktails in the American Bar, the staff were attentive but perhaps could have asked us a little more frequently if we would like another cocktail as we did sober up between them (ghastly, I know) the ambience was laid back and the obvious bragging about its previous guests was well received. It is good enough for Liza Millini, hell, its good enough for me!

Would I pay $500+ for a night there again? absolutely. I thought the Fairmont Chateau in Whistler was something special, but I do see a degree or service here that I havent seen before, and appreciate immensely. The history associated with the hotel was widely acknowledged and its past was stamped all over it. Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roundtheworldrachel
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

2 couples early forties...cough cough

If you time it wrong you will be waiting along time to get a drink.
We arrived at 5.30pm and had to wait just under an hour to be seated. The girl on the bar desk was lovely and very apologetic.
The male waiting/bar staff once you get in are sour faced unwelcoming robots.The surroundings once in are a light mix of modern and 1920.
The cocktails were delicious and service was prompt but oh Lordy get off you pompous high horse.. smile while serving it makes us part with our money.The piano player was smiling and chatting with guests enjoy what you do or it shows.
Most cocktails are around £17.00 each and there is an extensive list and when they arrived they were excellent....we had two each and then wandered off to find somewhere else to eat and drink.
I would go back but arrive earlier.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I tried the Savoy for the first time in September and returned again for four nights from 28th Nov - 2 Dec, this time opting for a luxury king room, rather than the deluxe king.

The greeting by the doormen is always warm, as is the reception staff who escort you to your room. On this occasion I’d mailed ahead that I’d be travelling with my partner who is a big Marilyn Monroe fan, and if the greeter who meets us could take a moment to mention the hotel’s association with that star, it’d be much appreciated. Also, as she is a tea-totaller, and enjoys a particular branded lemonade, if it’d be possible to put a few bottles in our minibar, that’d be very appreciated also.

Unfortunately I had to prompt our greeter for this information and the request re the minibar was unfulfilled too. Not a big point, but it’d have been nice if the greeter had been prepared, and if the request re the minibar unable to be accommodated, then I’d been informed. Not big things at all, but as is this is the Savoy, it was disappointing.

I did however message the concierge that I was expecting a parcel delivery and it was waiting for me in our room when we arrived, along with a confirmation email sent to me. That was appreciated.

The room was on the third floor, last time I was on the seventh, and whilst equally beautifully decorated, I preferred the red elevator to the blue one! That’s just me though! The deluxe king on the 7th had a partial view of the Thames and was an Edwardian style, so this time I requested an Edwardian room again and if possible, a view of the city or Thames. I was provided with an Edwardian room as requested, but not the view. The view was of stairs that I first mistook for scaffolding. There was no view at all, and frankly I preferred to keep the curtains shut rather than look at that! However, I didn’t pay for a river view so I’m not complaining, the room was lovely, bigger than the deluxe king, and I think we needed that for two people. There was fruit on a central table, seating, separation between the bedroom and living room, and it really did have a feel of a junior suite in many ways. The bed was large and comfortable but was obviously two beds pushed together. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and walk in shower. Also I’d booked several weeks ahead and had taken advantage of the Savoy’s “4 nights for 3” offer and had secured a very favourable rate so was very happy with the accommodation.

On the Friday we had dinner at the Ritz and when we returned had a drink in the American Bar. I always find the staff there very friendly, never have a problem getting a table as yet, or any of the “attitude” some reviewers have remarked on? There is a very good waiter there, a tall blonde chap, that on the Sunday night went out of his way to indulge my partner’s fascination for Marilyn Monroe, showing her pictures and telling her where Marilyn sat in the bar, and what she drank, which really made my partner’s stay, and in fact it was knowing my partner’s love of this celebrity and the hotel’s association with her, that (amongst other things) made me choose the Savoy again. So, commendation to this gentleman for doing that!

He also offered to arrange an appointment with the hotel’s archivist/historian for my partner to discuss Marilyn in more detail and he was as good as his word because on check out I was asked if we’d been contacted? But alas we weren’t. The receptionist called the historian (Susan) there and then but she wasn’t available, however he checked that my mobile number was on file, and it was, and said she’d call me before we left at 6pm to arrange a chat. That didn’t happen. Again disappointing because it’s the Savoy. However my partner wasn’t too disappointed because she said “next time”, and is looking forward to returning.

Breakfast we had on the Friday and Saturday, sleeping late on the Sunday and Monday. On the Friday we sat at the back in Kaspers, and on the Saturday out in the larger, grander area where tea is served – which I was happy with, to try both areas. I had full English both days and my partner the healthy breakfast, which came in two parts. First day, I was sitting waiting for my breakfast to appear whilst my partner held off eating until my plate arrived…after 20mins I asked where my breakfast was to be told that as the healthy breakfast comes in two servings, they were going to serve both hot dishes together! My breakfast then duly appeared, I understand why they did that, but I’d have appreciated being told or asked when I’d like my plate? On the Saturday, my partner didn’t make that mistake and enjoyed her first serving, but it was still sometime before both our hot plates arrived? Not that I’d usually mind, but we did have appointments on both days that the slow served breakfasts left us rushing for time with, and we’d come to eat in (what we thought) good time.

The concierge gave us advice re finding a particular address and market my partner wanted to visit and also cancelled my reservation at the Savoy Grill on the Sunday night for me. We’d had three full evenings by then and wanted to just have a lazy day on the Sunday, not have to be anywhere for a certain time. I’d tried the Grill on my last visit and enjoyed it but we’ll leave that to next time to enjoy together.

Speaking of full evenings, we were out on the Saturday night and arrived back at about 3am on Sunday morning. We were hungry and ordered room service (mains + dessert + coffees), which arrived about 30mins later via the butler. Was a really lovely spread, well done, and very high quality food. I’d ordered room service the day before on the Friday afternoon, cheese sandwiches and coffee, and again it was very well presented and excellent quality.

My partner also made use of the pressing service and her two dresses were promptly pressed and returned in what seemed a few minutes.

Overall it was an excellent stay again, and I’m being hard on Savoy giving it 4.5 stars, because I’d have no hesitation recommending it and certainly intend returning, but given the glitches I’ve mentioned, and it being the Savoy, I have to deduct points(!). It’s a beautiful hotel, excellent service, and somewhere you can enjoy whatever room you book. I don’t recognise the place (some few) other reviewers have awarded one star and disparaged, the Savoy is an outstanding venue.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple