“Combining the best of old and new”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed in the Savoy for two nights in January. I came directly from the Sanderson, and the difference could not have been more stark. Service, from arrival until the point of departure, is slick, seamless, understated and delivered with a smile. We took afternoon tea and it was probably the best I've ever had in London - highly recommended. I didn't eat downstairs apart from this, I took room service, and it was excellent - delivered promptly, my porridge was in a hot box so that it was still piping hot by the time I came to eat it. Delicious.

Don't come here expecting rooms to be high-tech. The integrity of the building design has been maintained to exacting standards - so the windows are single glaze, the rooms are small, the bathrooms have no "mod cons". But on the flip side, the renovation has ensured fantastic water pressure through the amazing shower, thick black out blinds, silent airconditioning and soundproofing, and a super comfortable bed. Everything just sings with quality. I found my stay rejuvenating, relaxing and a home-from-home experience following a cold and disrupted stay at the over-rated Sanderson. Next time I travel to London, I will stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Strand do have some early morning noise - for a quiet lie-in, opt for a river facin...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I took my partner here for a night an early Xmas gift. We arrived on 21st Dec and was beautifully decorated and looked very festive.

We had dinner in Simpson on The Strand and breakfast in Caspars both were delicious.

Service very good but no hospitality tray in room which I found rather strange considering tea is such a very British institution!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina H
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed a pre-Christmas stay at The Savoy, a season in which the hotel truly comes alive. Tea/coffee facilities are available on request. This should have been highlighted to you during check-in, but apologies if is this was not the case.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My daughter surprised me with a night's stay at the Savoy Hotel, from the moment we stepped out of the taxi we were made to feel special . The checking in process was effortless.
The room was inviting and comfortable. I was even able to select my favourite Boney M tunes from the tv menu. Then it was off for pre dinner cocktails. Dinner was fantastic there was even special gluten free bread for me.
Then it was off to see Mama Mia . Then back to the hotel for a night cap and fantastic jazz music. We could not decide what to have for breakfast so we must have ordered everything on the room service menu . All I can say breakfast was delicious in presentation and taste.
Last but certainly not least the ladies in the spa were very professional but yet fun.
Throughout our stay the service standard was consistant
I would go back and highly recommend the Savoy. Thanks to my lovely daughter for a memorable experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your celebratory stay at The Savoy. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the room and amenities which make The Savoy feel like a home from home. It was also great to hear that you made the most of our central location and were able to visit one of our local theatres. Thank you for the kind words with regards to the service you experienced in Beauty & Fitness centre, It will give me great pleasure to share your kind words with the team.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The face lift is mostly successful, and the staff could not have been more helpful. Kaspars happily serves food (not only sea food) for most of the day.
Our room (we were upgraded to a junior suite) was excellent, and we found ourselves calling on the butler service more than we had expected.
My husband walks with a trolley, and cannot cope with stairs, but the hotel is built on a sloping site. That led to complicated and sometimes surprising routes to get most of the areas serving food or drink, but we usually managed them successfully and were very often kindly escorted by the staff.
Two very different gripes. First, the butter served was generally rock hard, having been just taken from fridge; it would have been much nicer at room temperature as in many other hotels and restaurants. Secondly, if you need to negotiate a special room (eg disabled access), that cannot be done online. We were very badly served by the Fairmont booking system, with lengthy delays in getting through and then being cut off. A letter of complaint brought a telephone call, where the caller could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yraveller1
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Words can not describe how amazing this hotel is!
I actually cannot fault anything about the place!
Lovely rooms, lovely food, lovely location.
The service of the staff is spot on, really really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

What a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words, which I look forward to sharing with all the team.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I went to the Savoy for afternoon tea with a couple of friends, one of whom could not eat an afternoon tea following recent surgery. The staff were extremely helpful and went to ask the chef's advice on what would be suitable. They then took my friends to see what cakes were available and served her a small selection of soft cakes.

The afternoon tea was served with a glass of champagne. We were given a choice of teas, which were served with the cake stand of sandwiches, scones, jam, clotted cream and (unusually) lemon curd. The sandwiches were very slightly dry on the outside, but the flavours and choice were lovely. As we came to the end of the sandwiches, our waiter came straight over to offer us more.

At one point all the waiters/waitresses came out with slices of cakes with a lit candle for all the people celebrating birthdays - the pianist played "Happy Birthday" and everyone sang.

Following the scones, the waiter came with a platter of six different pastries - we could have as many as we liked, but opted for three of each and shared them.

More fresh tea was served and, much to our surprise, another course of cakes was brought over - Dundee, Chocolate Fudge and Banana.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, there was more than enough to eat, the ambience was relaxed and there was no pressure to leave. Overall a lovely afternoon which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sheely-wheely
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I tagged along on my husband's business trip and this hotel was one of the nicest I've ever been to (and I've stayed at Ritz Carlton's and Four Seasons). The room and bathroom were spacious and bathroom had fabulous heated floors. Bed comfortable, shower large, tub large and great products. Location of hotel very central and easy to walk to most attractions and easy to tube. It was quiet despite being in a busy area. Loved it.

Room Tip: ask for one with a love seat or sofa, we had a room on second floor, right up a short flight of step...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business