“Afternoon Cocktails!!”

The Savoy
Ranked #39 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Afternoon Cocktails!!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stopped off on the spur of the moment for some afternoon cocktails after some serious retail therapy in Covent Garden. The service was excellent, the cocktails delicious, and a lovely atmosphere, beautiful old building, would definitely do it again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David V
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for reviewing your recent visit to The Savoy. As you have so kindly mentioned, there is no better way to relax after shopping than cocktails at The Savoy, which is just a stone’s throw away from Covent Garden. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the team and hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Kiaran MacDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for the very first time last weekend, everything from the initial welcome when we stepped out of the taxi until we checked out was first class all the way. My only negative comment is with regard to drinks pricing, but I guess you are paying indirectly for the attentive service, the linen coasters and the top quality product.
Room was small but generally larger than most London hotels - we will return!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We went for afternoon tea as a special occasion - the place was full of people in jeans, trainers & tee-shirts - more like a coffee shop!
When asked why the etiquette had changed - we were told that this is a modern era!
Tea was OK, nothing special. We have had a lot better at other 5-star hotels.
There really was no ambiance and certainly did not feel special, so great disappointment all-round.
Can't speak for the rest of the hotel but we would not do afternoon tea there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tarber
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that you left The Savoy less than satisfied following your visit for Afternoon Tea. As I’m sure you will understand, dress code is a very sensitive subject which causes controversy regardless of the direction in which we try to move. We do have a 'smart casual' dress code for our restaurants and bars. With your experiences in mind, we have reminded our hosts to ensure that they are mindful of our dress code and they should be enforcing it in all areas. I was also disappointed to hear of your feedback with regards to the tea experience, especially as we receive so many wonderful compliments daily about The Savoy's Afternoon Teas. We do hope you will reconsider and return again to The Savoy.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We booked The Savoy as a christmas present to ourselves and also tickets for the nearby show The War Horse and The Bodyguard. As part the the package we were picked up by our chauffeur Harry from the train station and we were met by the lovely staff and taken to our suite by our butler. The suite was beautiful and had all the mod cons you could want and to a very high standard. We had arranged dinner and lunch the next day at Kaspars and were not disapointed although the pre-theatre meal was limited it was still very good. The lunch with my son and daughter-in-law was excellent along with the service and friendly staff. We also treated ourselves to breakfast in our suite which was serviced by our butler. I did not want to go home and I would love to go again

Room Tip: Book a suite is was worth every penny
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cookie190726
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed in the Savoy for two nights in January. I came directly from the Sanderson, and the difference could not have been more stark. Service, from arrival until the point of departure, is slick, seamless, understated and delivered with a smile. We took afternoon tea and it was probably the best I've ever had in London - highly recommended. I didn't eat downstairs apart from this, I took room service, and it was excellent - delivered promptly, my porridge was in a hot box so that it was still piping hot by the time I came to eat it. Delicious.

Don't come here expecting rooms to be high-tech. The integrity of the building design has been maintained to exacting standards - so the windows are single glaze, the rooms are small, the bathrooms have no "mod cons". But on the flip side, the renovation has ensured fantastic water pressure through the amazing shower, thick black out blinds, silent airconditioning and soundproofing, and a super comfortable bed. Everything just sings with quality. I found my stay rejuvenating, relaxing and a home-from-home experience following a cold and disrupted stay at the over-rated Sanderson. Next time I travel to London, I will stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Strand do have some early morning noise - for a quiet lie-in, opt for a river facin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I took my partner here for a night an early Xmas gift. We arrived on 21st Dec and was beautifully decorated and looked very festive.

We had dinner in Simpson on The Strand and breakfast in Caspars both were delicious.

Service very good but no hospitality tray in room which I found rather strange considering tea is such a very British institution!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina H
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed a pre-Christmas stay at The Savoy, a season in which the hotel truly comes alive. Tea/coffee facilities are available on request. This should have been highlighted to you during check-in, but apologies if is this was not the case.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My daughter surprised me with a night's stay at the Savoy Hotel, from the moment we stepped out of the taxi we were made to feel special . The checking in process was effortless.
The room was inviting and comfortable. I was even able to select my favourite Boney M tunes from the tv menu. Then it was off for pre dinner cocktails. Dinner was fantastic there was even special gluten free bread for me.
Then it was off to see Mama Mia . Then back to the hotel for a night cap and fantastic jazz music. We could not decide what to have for breakfast so we must have ordered everything on the room service menu . All I can say breakfast was delicious in presentation and taste.
Last but certainly not least the ladies in the spa were very professional but yet fun.
Throughout our stay the service standard was consistant
I would go back and highly recommend the Savoy. Thanks to my lovely daughter for a memorable experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your celebratory stay at The Savoy. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the room and amenities which make The Savoy feel like a home from home. It was also great to hear that you made the most of our central location and were able to visit one of our local theatres. Thank you for the kind words with regards to the service you experienced in Beauty & Fitness centre, It will give me great pleasure to share your kind words with the team.