“Didn't live up to its big name”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Leamington Spa
“Didn't live up to its big name”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

They made mistakes from the reservation to the afternoon tea and breakfast services. It's not what we'd expect from any 5-star hotel. They did try to fix the problems by comping us on the meal. However, we'd much rather have a good experience than a free meal. After all, it is the Savoy, not any 5-star hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Shinlei S
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry to read your comments and share in your disappointment for the service you experienced on this occasion. Whilst your feedback is very much appreciated, please be assured that your experience is not representative of our usual standards of service. We very much hope that you will give us another chance to show you a true Savoy Experience.

Kiaran MacDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had the pleasure of spending the weekend in this wonderful hotel. We have experienced The Ritz and Claridges however this experience overall out weighed these hotels. It has everything ! Foremost a refined and relaxed atmosphere from the minute we walked in. The staff are a credit to the hotel. We had a delightful afternoon tea in the Thames Foyer which was a fantastic experience. One has to try the cocktails in the American Bar again such a relaxing atmosphere. Dinner in Kaspar's was absolutely amazing and the girl who served us was a credit to the hotel. Food was incredible. Can highly recommend the champagne cocktail in the Beaufort Bar, again the staff there are fantastic and will try their best to accommodate clients who are staying in the hotel for a table. The 2nd night we dined in Gordon Ramsay's Grill room again the food was magnificent, although our favourite was Kaspar's. The hotel is within walking distance to Covent Garden, Theatre District and The Thames. Do not hesitate to book this wonderful hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I’m so pleased to read that you enjoyed the true Savoy Experience. Many thanks for your kind words, especially with regards to the team, who are such a great credit to the hotel.

London
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very good hotel, pricey but hey its Landon innit, great location for Cov Garden and the theaters and also backs onto the thames so great for a walk over to the Eye and then back up the strand from Trafalgar Sq. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Jim D
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit. I’m pleased to hear you made the most of our excellent location and hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This absolutely, hands down, was a trip of a lifetime and although, sadly, only for one night it felt like longer!

This was a significant trip for my Mother having recently been widowed so all new experiences come with huge emotion and an element of sadness, however, it was her birthday and a wonderfully generous retirement gift so the stakes where high but my goodness the Savoy delivered In spades!

My experience started a month before our actual stay when I booked and asked for some assistance in securing seats at The BodyGuard show, reservations in Kaspar's and sourcing some make up artists!

Nick from the Concierge desk was incredibly helpful liaising with the Theatre, Kaspar's and The Beauty and Fitness team on numerous occasions on my behalf nothing was too much trouble for him and indeed the seats at the bodyguard were better and cheaper than I could source myself we felt we had the best table (by the river) in Kaspar's and the make up artists contracted in made us feel a million dollars!

Now to our actual stay the only negative I have was the gentlemen who greeted us in the foyer and checked us in, was polite, professional and indeed welcoming however, he had (like me) a very heavy cold and was coughing and sneezing throughout our check in which just slightly took the edge off our arrival, he did point us in the right direction to the Beauty and Fitness team announcing our room wasn't ready but he would phone me when it was!

I received no call but popped by after our appointments and we were shown to our room, or I should say Suite, they had upgraded us to a Family Suite (apparently because of the wait) my Mothers face is one I will never ever forget she was so delighted and that smile didn't leave her for the next 24 hours thanks to the Team at the Savoy.

Carlos our Butler was friendly and approachable and when showing us around the facilities in our room very courteously realised the previous occupants had left a opened bottle of diet coke which he removed (we hadn't actually noticed) he also delivered a gorgeous hand made birthday cake to our room, whilst we were out, especially for my lovely Mum, she felt so special. Thank you!

Our meal at Kaspar's was faultless, the lady who served us, sadly I don't know her name, was wonderful really attentive but not too much so, she even brought me a box of tissues without my prompting (the cold I mentioned earlier)! My Mum struggles to eat certain foods but she ate the best I had seen her all week, we then asked if we could postpone our dessert and cheese a few hours whilst we relaxed in the American Bar this was swiftly arranged and a table re-booked for 6pm, allowing us just enough time to indulge before our show. I must add I was enormously grateful to the Manager on shift who kindly arranged this for us (sorry again no name).

Our experience in the American Bar was pleasant the Bartender professional and attentive we were a little disappointed that we couldn't relax with our drinks in the foyer and I later realised there was another bar that maybe we could have relaxed in?? We asked the Bartender to see if their was any possibility of us moving into the area where the afternoon teas where being held? He kindly checked and said it would be approx half an hour sadly he didn't come back to us and after an hour we went to our rooms to freshen up before our evenings activity.

As I mentioned the show was amazing the seats spot on and Mum couldn't take the smile off her face!!

The bedrooms lent themselves to a perfectly luxurious nights sleep (the heavy lined curtains aiding to my usually disturbed night). I did not throughout our entire stay hear any other guests either in adjacent rooms or above, not one footstep.

Breakfast service was a tad disappointing as we weren't warmly greeted. We loitered for maybe 4-5 minutes but no-one came so I walked up to a staff member who didn't really even say good morning which was a great shame. I asked if we should just sit anywhere someone then showed us to a lovely table and breakfast was served! It was delicious and quite relaxed.

The piece de resistance came when we had checked out and I had asked if the courtesy car was available to take us to Harrods the Doorman explained that actually traffic was gridlocked so going anywhere was going be a problem in any mode of transport, luckily for us it lightened fairly swiftly and he added to "leave it with him" a moment or two before greeting us with The savoys very own Rolls Royce!!!
It was the absolute icing on the cake with a cherry on top my lovely Mother couldn't believe it and we giggled with the driver all the way to Harrods!

Thank you for making this trip so incredible and one my Mum has not stopped talking about (to anyone who will listen)!

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank TeamThomas_2000
Dear Guest,

Wow, what a fantastic review! It’s such a pleasure to hear that you both thoroughly enjoyed The Savoy Experience. Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words, which I look forward to sharing with the team. I also appreciate the constructive feedback with regards to some of the service elements you encountered, and can reassure you that they will be addressed.

Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were a party of six ladies on a hen weekend for my Daughter and I booked the Champagne afternoon tea as a surprise for the party. I booked months in advance and opted to order the gift vouchers with a personalized message for each lady. Unfortunately, this was taken from us on check in for admin purposes. I registered my disappointment as we wanted to keep this as a souvenir, we were then offered a photocopy to keep.....WHY? Surely the unique reference number on each voucher should have been enough for their records.Whilst sitting in the restaurant, I did see other people being given their photocopies too, so it's clearly something that ought to be addressed. That was the only negative of the entire experience, the rest was just amazing. All the staff were gracious and attentive,especially our waiter Martin, who looked after us perfectly. I had contacted the Thames Foyer earlier to request something a little special to make my Daughters visit even more memorable. Martin brought out a little cake with a message piped on the plate and the pianist played her favourite song which I had requested. This was just delightful and a memory to treasure. The tea itself started with a leisurely glass of champagne followed by lovely fresh sandwiches and our individual selections of tea. We were told we could request more sandwiches, but we declined in order to save room for the beautiful pastries and cakes which followed. The whole experience was relaxed, elegant and we were made to feel very special from the moment the doorman greeted us. We had the most amazing time in a beautiful setting, perfect for our special occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for reviewing your celebratory afternoon tea experience. I was pleased to read that our team were able to assist with creating some wonderful memories for you all to share. Thank you also for your feedback with regards to the gift vouchers, which will be reviewed internally by the team.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a wonderful experience. Service second to none. Attention to detail and overall stay was amazing. I took my mother to celebrate her 82nd birthday - a life long ambition to stay at The Savoy. It exceeded all expectations. If you are thinking about it - Just DO IT!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

It is truly heartening to hear that your mother was able to experience a stay at The Savoy and I am so happy to hear that you both enjoyed the visit. Thank you for the kind words.

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a wonderful experience

My wife got a voucher for a champagne afternoon tea at the Savoy for a present on a significant birthday. (I won't say which one or I may get in trouble).

It was much more than we could have hoped for. What, with champagne followed by finger sandwiches, scones, pastries and cakes, and as much tea as you could want for, (only 31 varieties though :)

Service was superb and we were made to feel welcome by all staff. We could have stayed for much longer and gorged ourselves because the food was not limited in any way but we had our fill.

This is an experience I can thoroughly reccomend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful birthday treat to have been given. I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the experience and that you appreciate the service from our dedicated team.