“Extreme disappointment”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #39 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My room was ridiculously small and the bathroom too.( obliged to close the shower door before opening the bathroom door. Happy to keep my finger safe...)
Incompetent check in staff.
Location and style really nice..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jean V
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Whilst I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the location and décor of our iconic property, I was disappointed to hear that you left the hotel less than satisfied. Having discussed your stay with the team, I was pleased to hear that we had the opportunity to speak with you in person before your departure and feel confident that on your next stay with us we will be able to create some happier memories. As you know, one of the unique features of The Savoy is that we have a variety of guest rooms of different colour schemes, Art Deco or Edwardian styles, sizes and aspects to suit all our guests’ tastes and requirements. As such, I hope that we reassured you of our commitment to making every effort that you are offered accommodation that is more suitable to your needs and preferences in the future. Thank you again for sharing your concerns with us at the time and we look forward to warmly welcoming you again to The Savoy very soon.

Kiaran MacDonald

Write a ReviewReviews (4,963)

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel providing you don't want a drink after 1am. As a group of friends we came back at 1am and decided to have a nightcap. We were quietly sitting in the lounge and were told if we wanted a drink we would have to go to our rooms and individually order drinks! Amazing! Could not believe they were being serious but they were. Not impressed!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Rob20042004

Dear Guest,

I was sorry to hear that you were unable to enjoy a drink in one of our outlets. Whilst we do our best to accommodate our guests’ wishes, regrettably on this occasion we were unable to serve your party a nightcap in the Thames Foyer. I have shared your thoughts with the team and I do hope that you will someday return to The Savoy.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I spent two nights here recently while on a business trip. I also brought my wife and baby daughter with us. The service was amazing and they were always willing to help. the staff at the door were always on hand as we had a stroller so opened the door everytime. The staff also all looked well groomed and very presentable. I must admit though I found the lifts a little small but they fit in to the styling of the hotel so it didn't bother me too much. I did eat at Kaspers bar and grill and the food was amazing. service was good but not as good as the hotel staff. After walking around London it was nice to get back and just get away from it all. its just on the strand so a great location for the London eye and some of the great theatres in the area too. I just wish I had more time there as I was away for the second day so only the wife got to enjoy the hospitality of the hotel. The butler service was amazing too and a nice little touch to the overall Savoy Experience. Staying here I really think it about the experience and not just another London Hotel. Keep it up Savoy - Many thanks to all the staff that made it an amazing stay from Myself, Mrs Cole and Baby Charlie

Room Tip: pay a little extra for a 1 bedroom suite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you were all able to enjoy The Savoy Experience. It certainly sounds like you made the most of the hotel and its surroundings. As you have so kindly mentioned The Savoy is perfectly situated to take in the sights and sounds of London with the river and theatre district right on our doorstep. Whilst there is so much to see and do in London, we believe that the Savoy is very much a sanctuary and place to get away from it all. I look forward to sharing your review with the team, and hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a one night stay at The Savoy to celebrate my wife's special birthday. We were met at the door and were treated with great courtesy. The room and facilities were fantastic and we were treated to a surprise birthday treat on entry. There was no iron/ironing board or tea/coffee making facilities in the room which we thought was a little strange for a top class hotel. Notwithstanding these minor omissions the quality of the furnishings, bedding, toiletries, audio, T.V, mini bar was outstanding. We were made to feel very special during our stay with one notable exception. We were turned away from the American Bar at 11.40pm with the excuse that last orders had been served despite the fact that we were residents and had the day before checked by telephone that we could arrive from the theatre at 11.45 and still be served. As it was a special occasion we were most upset by this at the time as we could have celebrated elsewhere. When I complained the staff were at pains to rectify the problem and did so in a most courteous and professional way which actually turned a potentially negative experience into a highly positive one. I would like to thank the excellent Savoy staff for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philip R

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your Savoy experience. I was pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy a celebratory stay and made the most of our iconic property. Thank you for your feedback with regards to the ironing boards. These are available on request, apologies if the team did not highlight this upon check-in. Whilst I was disappointing to hear of your experience at the American Bar, I am pleased to hear the team were able to resolve this issue and that you were able to have a memorable evening.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I enjoyed a lovely suite for a four day stop in London and loved this hotel. Breakfast with views of the Thames is excellent; the public areas and bar area great (and you might spot a movie star or two...:) and the suite was absolute perfection. Staff wonderfully friendly; bed very very comfortable. Highly recommend this lovely hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Deborah L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the experience and hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

To the amazing staff of the Savoy Hotel London.Words cannot express how wonderful it was to celebrate my Birthday with you all.My darling daughter had arranged a surprise afternoon tea at the Savoy for me and our family.The moment I walked through the doors,I was made to feel welcome.The warmth and attentiveness from the Savoy staff,made me want to sink into the luxurious surroundings and never leave.The food,the champagne and especially the company completed this amazing experience.I could never have guessed that the next night would surpass that.We had booked a room at the Savoy for the following night and had no idea until we had been escorted to our room that we had been upgraded to the Junior suite overlooking the Thames, made complete with our own Butler,Champagne & a tray of chocolates, (compliments from the pastry chef)It felt like I was in a dream and one that I never wanted to wake up from.To the H.R. team,well done!You have put together the most amazing team of colleagues,I have ever seen,each and every person that I came into contact with,exuded warmth.kindness and professionalism.You should be very proud!.
So to the Savoy staff,
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making me feel like family and to those of you who have never had the Savoy experience just do it!You won't regret it.

Deborah & Harold

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Deborah S

Dear Guest,

Wow, what a fantastic review! It’s such a pleasure to hear that you were able to enjoy a celebratory stay and afternoon tea experience at The Savoy. Many thanks for your feedback with regards to the team who work so hard to deliver the very best service possible. I look forward forward to sharing your kind words with all the team and do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Savoy.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Beautiful decor and very comfortable beds with superb bed and bath linen. Great place to stay in London and afternoon tea here is a real treat. Highly recommend. Great location near The Thames and theatres,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind words. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, its amenities and favorable location. Your feedback with regards to afternoon tea is also much appreciated.