“One night romantic break”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #39 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for one night with my wife in July and it didn't disappoint. This hotel is class and has everything you would expect for a hotel of its stature.

The hotel is immaculately decorated, with some truly stunning communal dining and lounge areas. I really like the American bar where we enjoyed some pre and post dinner drinks. The breakfast area is also amazing and well worth a visit.

Our room was great and very comfortable. Great 5 star experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SOTONROYAL
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a romantic break at The Savoy. I very much appreciate your kind words about the guest rooms, American Bar and the Thames Foyer and know that all the team here will be proud to hear them.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed in a suite which advertised "outstanding views of the Thames". In fact we overlooked a building under renovation, scaffolding, cranes and all! Merest glimpse of the river through a small gap in the trees. Certainly not as it looks on the website. Corridors smelt of gas, paper lay on the floor for our 2 day stay, room not cleared, measly fruit bowl with stale fruit. I could go on....and on...and on! Suffice to say "Buyer beware"....and take out a large bank loan before you venture there!

15  Thank John H

Dear Guest,

We were disappointed to read your comments here on your stay at The Savoy. I gather that we are in touch with you privately regarding any concerns you have highlighted and we look forward to continuing that correspondence.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We decided to celebrate 'Mothering Sunday' (rather late) with Afternoon Tea at the Savoy having really enjoyed a dinner there earlier in the year. We had a lovely choice of sandwiches, scones, cakes plus their signature cake - the choice of teas was excellent too and the whole occasion compared really well with other Afternoon Teas we have enjoyed in the city.
Our waiter was really attentive, he waited until we had finished our glasses of champagne before pouring our tea which was excellent and he added a touch of luxury to the occasion.
I guess my only negative comment would be that we were given our bill before we had finished eating (we were well within a 2 hour time frame) with a comment that there was no rush and then the Headwaiter came back checked to see if we had paid and grunted because we hadn't quite finished - not what one would have expected from a hotel such as The Savoy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sysolly

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to hear you all enjoyed Afternoon Tea at The Savoy. Many thanks for your kind compliments with regards to selection of sandwiches, tea and pastries. Please accept my apologies with regards to the presentation of your bill and I have shared your comments with the team for their immediate attention.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We thought we would treat ourselves to an impromptu stopover because we had a really great experience the first time we stayed here. Sadly this was not the case on this occasion. The maître d in the Thames Foyer was so rude we felt uncomfortable taking tea in there. Our room had the most depressing view-a soot covered internal back of house view of what looked like the kitchens with a dead pigeon. The towels in our room were dirty. There was no water or turn down service offered. Only part of our in-room dining order arrived and was spoilt whilst we called to complain and had to wait for the rest to come. All in all, not what I would expect from a hotel of this calibre. Very disappointing!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JingT
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I was very disappointed to learn of the service issues which you experienced and I understand the team has since been in touch with you privately. I do hope we have now resolved this matter to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I'm biased towards Fairmont hotels. I generally love the classic buildings, the great service, the perks of President's club membership and the locations. For many years I've wanted to stay at the Savoy but the price was prohibitive (especially with several children in tow).

Finally I was able to stay at this iconic property and sadly to say, it just wasn't worth the horrific amount of money. I'll gladly pay through the nose for something really special. This hotel just wasn't it.

The best thing about the Savoy is the location. You likely can't find a better one; walk to Westminster cathedral in 10 minutes and St Paul's in 15. On the Thames, in the West end, a stone's throw from Trafalgar square, etc.

The room we were upgraded to had an angled view of the Thames which was quite nice. I prefer the Edwardian furnishings and we were able to get one of those. The room was a decent size and the bathroom, although all white and gray, roomy enough. Lovely towels and a heated towel bar. There was a large wardrobe with enough hangers. The bed was wonderful and very comfortable. The air-conditioning barely took the edge of the heat (you can only dial the temperature down so far) but the water temperature of the showers couldn't go above moderately warm. Odd. Likely a cost cutting measure.

The hotel is strangely designed. Up and down stairs, along snaking corridors to get to the lift that takes you to your wing, etc. I found it off putting not quaint or quirky.

You must pay for internet unless you are a president's club member and the wifi was a bit spotty.

The rooms are advertised as having an iron, tea and coffee, etc but in fact you must ring up guest services to have these delivered to your room. Each and everything is hand delivered and a tip is expected. Want ice? Place a call and wait for someone to bring it to you. This was one of the things that really bugged me; so many staff needing to be tipped.

In fact the service was just far over the top and bordered on really intrusive. Our doorbell rang 5 times within the hour of arriving in the room and there were two phone calls. As we were jet lagged and exhausted we finally had to ask for everyone to leave us alone.

The other outrageous prices (other than the room) were in the restaurants and the bars. A typical english breakfast (eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, etc) 32 GBP ($58). Toast was $5 a slice! A bowl of watery oatmeal $16. I tried several types of breakfast but wasn't overly struck by anything.
The American bar was worse. Highly uncomfortable chairs (don't you want patrons to linger and order more drinks???) and prices so silly it was laughable. Most cocktails were around $35 each. Premium liquors had sky high prices.

We did have an excellent meal in Kaspar's Seafood Bar and would definitely return there.

Over all I was a bit disappointed and likely won't bother to return. I'll spend my money at the Fairmont properties that truly do a superb job (the Orchid, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc).

8  Thank AmberK
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Afternoon Tea at the Savoy was a perfectly wonderful experience. It was a lovely setting and wonderful atmosphere.
The sandwiches were fabulous; the scones delicious especially with the lemon curd The pastries and lovely cakes looked wonderful and tasted delicious. The service was attentive but relaxed and pleasant.
One of our group as an avid tea drinker loved the choice of 31 teas; whilst the rest of our group had to settle for a glass of champagne!.

A perfect way for one of our group to celebrate their 65th Birthday; the afternoon's celebration's couldn't have been bettered

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BAJ89

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Savoy’s Afternoon Tea Experience. It’s wonderful to hear your very positive feedback regarding the atmosphere, service and food. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was a surprise stay for my partners birthday. Everything was outstanding - the room, the beds, the service, the friendliness of the staff and the food. If I had one criticism, it would be that our room was not ready for 2pm, which meant that we could not freshen up before going to the theatre. Other than that, everything was outstanding. Breakfast in the Thames Foyer was particularly memorable.

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your glowing review of The Savoy following your recent stay with us and I’m so pleased the experience went beyond expectations. It is particularly nice to hear you chose The Savoy to celebrate your partner’s birthday. Please accept my apologies for the delay in showing you to your room, however I hope you still had a pleasant evening.