“Wonderful”
Review of The Savoy

The Savoy
Ranked #38 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was our second visit and only for 2 nights. The porter service is seamless and we were made to feel very welcome. The king double, although a little compact had the important features, desk, power points, walk in shower and the bed is supremely comfortable. After having stayed with friends with only a bath, the torrent of hot water from the shower was heaven.
Breakfast was superb with fresh orange juice, strong coffee, perfect eggs benedict and fruit and seriously good smoked salmon.
The hotel is central and near most of the theatres

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a follow-up stay at The Savoy. I very much appreciate your kind words and know that all the team here will be proud to hear them.

Kiaran MacDonald

Write a ReviewReviews (5,013)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

out standing room interior. good service, pricy restaurants ,good location was about the only thing going for the Savoy. If you want to stay at a big name hotel this is it. Lovely room no view not worth the price. Breakfest was overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 213Parker
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit. Whilst I was pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed The Savoy’s décor, service and location, I was sorry to learn that your guest room failed to meet expectations. At The Savoy we are in the enviable position of being able to offer many different styles, sizes and aspects of rooms, so please do mention your preferences the next time you stay with us. Our breakfast rates are competitive to those of other five star London hotels but furthermore there are a range of packages on the special offers page of our website which include breakfast in case of interest in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

lovely place to stay service was great. staff extremely attentive, building interior was very clean and at a very high standard, food was fantastic enjoyed the bars. Gordon Ramseys was great. I would recommend this hotel anyone.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The Savoy. I’m so pleased you enjoyed the experience, from appreciating our beautiful building itself to the service and your visit to our dining outlets and bars. It is always a pleasure to hear that a guest has made the most of their visit. I look forward to sharing your review with the team and hope we are able to welcome you again.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We enjoyed 5 nights at the Savoy, the location is fantastic! we were looking forward to staying at this historical hotel and we were not disappointed. We had 2 spacious rooms that had lovely views down the Thames, however, our first view was of a building site next door with a friendly crane driver who waved at us each morning??? bathrooms were spacious and modern. Unfortunately our rooms were 4 floors apart which was a little disappointing. The staff were courteous and friendly and the Doorman was a character who made us smile each morning. Unfortunately the rooms do not have tea or coffee making facilities which would of been nice after a long day touring in London.

Room Tip: high floor for views down the Thames
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyAtoll

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Savoy Experience. From the location to the river views and service you experienced from the team, I was delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed the visit. Tea and coffee making facilities are available upon request, please accept my apologies if this was not highlighted upon check-in. Furthermore, I do hope the crane operator did not cause too much of a nuisance.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Nothing but snobs, made to feel unwelcome in the bar of your own hotel is the last straws don't go unless you speak with a plum in your voice. Nice rooms and nice location, but not worth the extra costs stay somewhere that appreciates your business.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Alan D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I was very sorry to hear that you felt unwelcome in the bar, which was certainly never our intention. The feedback has been shared with my team and we do hope that you will afford us the chance to show that we do truly value your visit to The Savoy on another occasion.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was not a hotel resident, but was in its vicinity so decided to try the Savoy's Thames Foyer for breakfast. I have been to the American Bar for drinks, the Savoy Grill for dinner, and the Thames Foyer for lunch but had never been to the Savoy for breakfast. I was to leave very disappointed.

I arrived at about 11am on a Saturday with no reservation and they were able to accommodate me no problem.

The service was good quality silver service, though could have had a little more charm. Immediately after sitting down, I was offered some delicious fresh orange juice. After looking at the menu items, I ordered an English cooked breakfast, which was tasty though the bacon rashers were quite fatty and I'd have preferred them crispier. I guess everyone has different preferences in this respect. The eggs (one fried, one poached) were perfect.

Unfortunately, despite the pleasant environment for reading the paper and the good tea I was to be left disappointed.

I wanted to sit there and perhaps read my paper for a bit longer, perhaps order another pot of tea. Unfortunately after about 1.5-2 hours I got the bill placed on the table by the waiter, having never asked for it, which is obviously the "please go away" hint.

I understand hotels don't want you to sit there all day but when I took the table I was not made aware of any time limit.

What annoyed me most was that the Thames Foyer was not full at all, and there is no reason they couldn't have let me stay there for a little bit longer to enjoy some more tea and read some more of my paper.

I am aware they start their afternoon tea service around lunchtime, which is fine, but as I say the venue was practically empty and they could have let me stay a little longer. Does one need to be a hotel guest to avoid being kicked out like that?

I decided to email the hotel with a complaint as follows:

"I just this morning attended the Thames Foyer for a late breakfast / brunch (arrived at around 11am and left at around 1pm).

I was a bit disappointed to be "kicked out" by the hint / production of my bill before I asked for it. I am aware your lucrative afternoon tea service starts at 1pm, but the vast majority of tables were still empty, and I couldn't see why I couldn't sit and read my paper and sip my tea for a further 30 minutes. I wasn't made aware of a time limit when I took the table.

Please feed this back to your management of the Thames Foyer."

I got an email back from Jacco van Teeffelen, Director of Food and Beverage which was clearly a copy-pasted answer from no doubt their previous collection of complaints, as he had copy-pasted a line to me as follows "Mr Kelly, I greatly appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring this issue to my attention as it is only through such constructive comments and observations that we are able to monitor and so continually improve the services we provide." - as my name is not Mr Kelly clearly they were not paying much attention or giving me some reasonable feedback to my complaint, but were just interested in fobbing me off with a copy-pasted response.

Since the refurb this place has gone down hill, it is not in my opinion a 5* hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Nick B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Whilst I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast food and service, I was very disappointed to read your comments with regards to the presentation of your bill, which was completely unacceptable. Furthermore, please accept our sincere apologies with regards to the clerical error made by the Director of Food and Beverage and I gather that he has since been in contact with you privately. Please do visit us again so we can show you some true Savoy hospitality.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Sunday at the Savoy includes an evening meal and breakfast. We ate at Kaspar's and had the Beef Bourgeon which was delicious followed by the white chocolate Sphere and Tiramisu. By the way Kaspar's bread is also fantastic.
Our room was beautifully furnished and the bathroom was superb.

3  Thank NigelM1964

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It’s such a pleasure to hear you enjoyed the experience. I look forward to sharing your review with the team and hope we are able to welcome you back soon.