Open today: 10:00 - 17:00

from US$34.14
from US$45.73
from US$125.00
More Info
All reviews gun deck sir francis drake guided tour southwark cathedral small ship tudor times beautiful ship replica ship treasure hunt borough market lower deck steep steps school trip great for kids south bank year olds other attractions
Reviewed 3 days ago

I went to the golden hynde ,It cost 5 pounds there is no concession,It takes about half hour or less,On the lower deck you have to bend down the whole of the time,So if you have a bad back its not for you ..Its quite a small ship ,Its not the orignal its a copy .Its a average visit nothing i would recommend as a must see,I think its better to spend time in the pub next door .

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We decided to do a Birthday Party for my son on the Golden Hinde. We had previously been aboard 2 years ago during half term holidays and my son loved it and has been asking to go aboard again. So we planned his Birthday. From first contacting the Golden Hinde, everything was so well organised, which gave me confidence for the big day.

On arrival with 16 excited boys and 16 excited parents we were greeted and shown around. The staff dressed as sailors entertained the children with games and activities and they were running around having so much fun. They loved every minute. The parents camped below decks with tea and coffee and could relax as the boys were being well looked after. We had ordered the lunch which was below deck on a big wooden table and it was well catered with enough food. I think in some ways, the parents were even more excited than the boys!

In summary, the day was very well organised, staff were brilliant, entertainment was brilliant and the whole day will be one to be remembered by all for a very long while. I highly recommend a visit on board and also recommend having an event if you are looking for a venue.

1  Thank nomad_za
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

No matter how you cut it, seeing an accurate reproduction of Sir Francis Drake's 1577 English Galleon is mighty impressive. Pieces from the original ship were actually used in the reconstruction. Imagine, being in a port (like La Coruna, Spain) when this huge, menacing, black harbinger of doom sails in.

The ship's name is peculiar: Golden Hind(e) but it has its roots in recognizing (and expressing gratitude to) a very,very generous sponsor, Sir Christopher Hatten. The Golden Hind is a female red deer and it was the crest of Sir Hatten. Look at the ship, it is on the stern.

In England, Sir Francis Drake is kindly referred to as a privateer in the service of Queen Elizabeth I. Other places? Not so much. When we were in La Coruna, Spain, we happened upon the local plaza named in honor of a brave young woman (Maria Pita) who was vital in pushing back Drake's assault and who killed Drake's brother in retaliation. He's remembered differently and is called "pirate" in these parts.

Being a Yankee with no dog in this fight, remaining neutral is the best option (1577 was a very long time ago). Ask me about the American Revolution and I may have a different opinion.

1  Thank on_the_go_98765
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

this is an old english used by St Francis to fight the spanish. it is well maintined and they have tours at a small fee. it was really worth the experience to see what it looked like. very narrow with a low ceiling.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Have been meaning to see this for many years and finally did last weekend! Initially I thought £5 was steep but once onboard it was well worth it! It’s an amazing attraction and puts into prospective what our sailors of yesteryear had to endure. It was fascinating to realise how small this ship actually is - the lower deck isn’t for those with bad backs or excessively tall; saying that I had a bad back which seemed to ease a bit after I had to bend down whilst in there haha.

Well worth a visit and I’d throughly recommend you see it

1  Thank GeorgeIII
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I were actually just walking through the area until we saw a sign saying that we could go on for free with the London Pass! I have no actual knowledge about the Golden Hinde but it was a fun stop of my friend and I. The replica of the ship was spot on and we had a blast looking through the ship and under the deck.
It was extremely cute to see little kids on a field trip under the deck having a great time and it warmed my heart to see them as well!

2  Thank annakP3405QV
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We went on one of the hour-long pirate events. Our five-year-old children loved the experience. They learnt about the ship while playing games, hunting for treasure and singing sea shanties. Thoroughly recommended.

2  Thank Lotsahols2
Reviewed 10 October 2018

The Golden Hinde hosted our wedding ceremony and it was absolutely incredible!

Wing, Angus and the team were so lovely and helpful right from the beginning, when we initially contacted them, all the way through to ensuring our day ran smoothly.

They really went the extra mile to make it happen. Before the wedding day, they let us visit the ship multiple times so we could make all the arrangements, they were really flexible with our requirements and set up all our lighting and props for us before we arrived.

During the day, it was pouring down with rain and the team made a huge effort to keep us as dry and safe from slippery surfaces as possible. They also served glasses of prosecco to our guests after the ceremony which was a lovely touch. And the venue is obviously fantastic, being an old sailing ship! Everyone was so happy!

Couldn’t recommend the Golden Hinde more, not only as a wedding venue, but for any ceremony, party, event, etc. We had a completely original wedding day and memories that we’ll cherish forever.

Thank you so much to The Golden Hinde team for making our day so incredibly special!

Sam & Flori

RoddyC34, Owner at Golden Hinde, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Sam & Flori, it was a pleasure to have been a part of your special day. Thank you ever so much for your kind review and it was an amazing experience for us too. We hope it was the perfect beginning for your wonderful journey together.

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Great replica of Drake's ship. Attended a talk on Black Tudors and a great venue for it ( although the hard benches wereca challenge after an hour). Knowledgeable staff and good experience for all ages.

RoddyC34, Owner at Golden Hinde, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for taking to time to write a review about the evening. Sorry about the hard benches, we will make sure the seating is more cushioned for the next talk. We look forward to having you aboard again!

Reviewed 30 September 2018

We took a class of 11 year olds and they all enjoyed it and found it very interesting. Beware of low ceilings!