“Very good and pleasant return stay, but full of celebrity wannabes!”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 March 2011

This was my fourth stay at The May Fair. I love the location of this hotel,it really doesn't get any better than this, minutes from Piccadilly,Regent St shops,Soho and the theatre district.It is spotlessly clean with a wonderful scent in the lobby.I always loved the bar at this hotel but I noticed how much the clientele has changed since I was last there,full of perma tanned individuals who look like they are extras from "the only way is essex",it was actually quite amusing and wasn't a big deal for us, but I can't imagine that would be everyones cup of tea. We had a beautiful studio king room on the 6th floor, overlooking the back of the hotel so there was no street noise. The reception staff were very helpful, as were the concierge. I wouldn't recommend room service as it's hugely expensive (£8.00 for a pot of tea in the morning!) and there is a Sainsburys directly opposite which is very useful and a Caffe Nero and Starbucks just round the corner.I will be returning to The Mayfair again, but will always ensure to get a room on a high floor in a quieter part of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback.
We were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the May Fair on a future occasion.
Warmest wishes,

Reviewed 26 March 2011

This was my second stay at The May Fair. After last years less than perfect stay, this really was very refreshing, it was spot on from the minute we walked through the door.
Upon arrival doormen greeted us and in the lobby we were greeted again and led to the check-in desk. Our bags were taken from us and hurried up to the room while the customer relations manager took us personally to our room to check that everything was in order.

There was a bowl of fruit, a small box of chocolates and mineral water on the dining table which I thought was a nice touch.

The room was spacious, clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a large walk in shower and roll top bath with a WC in a room off the bathroom.

The rooms at The May Fair seem to have Bang & Olufsen CRT TVs. While this is a nice high brand touch the screens are small and I would much rather have a larger flat screen TV.

There was a choice to have the breakfast in a large eating area or in the bar area. We chose to eat in the bar as it was less crowded and much quieter. The breakfast was without doubt one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts I have had and the service was smart, efficient and polite.

Well done and thank you The May Fair, you made this a very memorable vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback which we were delighted to receive.
I am so pleased you had a most memorable stay with us and I have taken note of your point with regards to the televisions.
We very much hope to welcome you back on a future occasion when I would hope to have the pleasure of meeting with you personally.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed 22 March 2011

We were welcomed by reception with a lovely smile after being greeted by concierge on the door with a warm welcome!
We had the head of guest relations take us to our room to ensure that everything was okay and that we were comfortable and we were.
Soon after she left we had a phone call to make sure that everything was okay and it was.
The room was lovely and bigger than we imagined and a great view!
We stayed over as we had a wedding nearby and it was very handy as it was only walking distance in the Sheraton Park Lane but they did not have family rooms so we used the May Fair instead and we were not disappointed.
We had breakfast in the room which was delightful as we all sat with our robes round the table and everything from the bread to the pastries were very fresh.
Checkout was as efficient as check out and again greeted us with a smile and made sure that everything was okay.
Michael Cheung, the manager was very pleasant ensuring that our accomodation was sorted out to our satisfaction. First class service and great staff that he should be proud of.
We will definately be back for a further visit and recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank joen274
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Thank you for your kind feedback. Your comments are much appreciated and delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us.
We all look forward to welcoming you back and send you our very best wishes,

Reviewed 21 March 2011

On arrival, my partner and I received a warm welcome and were impressed with the size and quality of our superior room (number 306). The only minor suggestion I would make if the hotel is considering furniture alterations in future is that it's not ideal to have the only available wardrobe space and full length mirror in the bathroom. However the room was huge and the decor attractive, Eastern-inspired and modern, so overall it was lovely.

Unfortunately while getting ready to go out, we had a small flood from the shower caused by a backed-up drain, and the iron provided by the hotel had scorch marks on it, which transferred themselves to my partner's shirt before he realised. I popped down to reception to report the incidents, and was impressed with the efficiency of Emma, who immediately had the iron replaced, the drain cleared, the wet towels replaced, a bottle of wine sent up and compensatory arrangements made about the shirt.

We also experienced noise from a neighbouring room at 5am, but this was again dealt with quickly and efficiently by the duty manager.

Our lasting impression of the hotel was that normally such problems wouldn't happen, but when they did, the staff dealt with them fast and we felt looked after and happy. Thanks!

Thank you for your feedback.
Extremely sorry for a couple of frustruations you experienced during your stay but so delighted you enjoyed your overall visit. I am sure you will love the enhancements we are in the process of making here at the Hotel and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future when I would hope to meet with you personally.
With my best wishes,

Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed at the Mayfair for two nights on a last minute.com top secrets deal.I had emailed the hotel to advise it was my birthday and upon arriving Sara told us she had upgraded us to a king deluxe,from a superior double.unfortunately our friends who we're also on the booking were not and the difference in the rooms we're unbelievable.Our first room reeked of smoke,having booked a non smoking room,but Sara kindly moved us and our king deluxe was fairly spacious,although the size you'd expect from a standard room in a five star hotel.Our friends had a double bed,again i've never come across a five star hotel that does'nt have kingsized beds.There was just enough space to get around the bed.We asked if our friends could have a better room and again Sara was accommodating but even though the bed was slightly bigger the room was still very small.Rooms although modern was hot and quite dark.You can hear people walking past the room,talking and doors slamming.We had a bottle of water in our room on arrival,the following night i rang room service and asked for another bottle.I was told this would be £5.50!So i told him i'd leave it that £5.50 was a ridiculous price for water.twenty minutes later they knocked at the door with one, i sent them away,another twenty minutes later(by this time we we're asleep)the phone rang,room service asking if i wanted this water or not!I find the staff don't seem to listen?The bar had a good atmosphere,and reception area pleasant but overall i feel this hotel going by the rooms should be a four star.We usually stay at the grosvenor house and the difference between the hotels is huge.I can't help but wonder if these superior doubles are saved for lastminute.com deals?I certainly would'nt have wanted to pay £225 for one...on a plus location is excellent.

1  Thank SussexWitchy

Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry for your disappointment in your friends room and glad that Sara managed to not only upgrade you as we wanted to recognise your birthday and although we were not able to upgrade your friends as we were running full, Sarah did manage to switch their accommodation. No room should ever smell of smoke and I apologise profusely for that.
There are so many layers which are about to be added to the Hotel which will enhance the guests experience, one of them being complimentary water to every room throughout their stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the bar and also the overall stay and hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again so that we can show you the many changes which are currently being implemented.
A belated Happy Birthday and send my best wishes,

Reviewed 18 March 2011

Stayed a week in early March. Great location for hitting the shops, just a few minutes to Oxford Street. Green Park a block away if you want to go for a run. Seamless check-in which is good. Step out of the elevator and you feel like you're in any airport hotel, not in central London. Shampoo and soap screwed to the wall. Most unpleasant was a used band-aid clogging the shower drain. Gym is tiny and always full. Got woken up in the middle of the night by guests and managers arguing in the hall. A shame as it looked really promising, first and last time. London boutique hotels have much more to offer. Special deal of 265GBP per night simply not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad to know you found our location excellent and would agree that within a couple of minutes walk you have London at your fingertips.
Happy to hear the Front Office team took such good care of you, however, extremely embarrassed about your shower experience and shall certainly look into this. It is unfortunate that you were disturbed by noise in the corridor and apologise that.
Fully agree with you on the shampoo and soap front and we are introducing a great new range within the next few weeks. Also delighted let you know we are investing the very latest techno gym equipment which will be coming late April beginning of May and redesigning the gym.
There are many more exciting things happening such as the launch of our new restaurant Quince in late May with a world class designer and celebrity chef on board.
I hope you might allow us another chance to look after you and please dont hesitate in calling my office so that we can personally take care of the arrangements.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 18 March 2011

We were welcomed back to The May Fair following an unsatisfactory experience previously. We were pleased to note that staff were far more attentive and provided very good levels of service despite being very busy due to London Fashion Week. Breakfast was also significantly better. We also welcomed the complimentary gifts following the turn-down service. Following this far more pleasant experience, we would definitely now recommend The May Fair to others.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple