“Disappointed by the noisy room when I'd asked for a quiet one.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #209 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London
“Disappointed by the noisy room when I'd asked for a quiet one.”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked a very expensive room and was disappointed to find it was located RIGHT on top of the extraction system for the whole hotel. If you are going to go to this hotel you want to be above floor 5 if the noise is going to bother you. It drove me nuts.
Location is great and it is chic.
Staff not overly helpful but not dreadful. Restaurant was shut for refurb and I was not advised of this when booking. Arrived late and looking forward to dinner - in their defence I had not booked a table but still it should have been highlighted when I booked.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Thank you for your feedback and I was so sorry to learn that you were disturbed by noise in your room. I was also disappointed to hear that you were not advised when you made your booking that our restaurant is closed for refurbishment for which I would like to apologise.
I very much hope you will return to The May Fair on a future occasion as I would be delighted to welcome you back so you can have an enjoyable stay with us and for you to experience our newly refurbished restaurant Quince.
Please let me know if you do return as I would like to personally oversee your reservation and ensure you are allocated a quiet room.
Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

having this hotel booked for me for my 40th birthday surprise booked for me by my daughters,i was a little disappointed with the restaurant not being open, then having a room service meal and then to be told no steak!!! i had always wanted to stay in mayfair so was a little let down for the amount the room cost. mrs hennessey sunday 5th june 2011.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you for your feedback.
I was so sorry to learn that you were unhappy with your recent stay and I would like to take this opportunity of offeing you my personal apologies.
Reservations should have advised your daughters when they made the reservation that our restaurant was indeed being refurbished and subsequently closed and I am so sorry this was not the case. I am also disappointed to hear that you were unable to have steak as you requested via our Room Service. I will be following this up with my Room Service Manager.
We would be delighted to welcome you back to The May Fair when I would hope to restore your confidence in the Hotel. If you do decide to return, which I very much hope, please contact my office directly and I will personally ensure you are well looked after.
Cheltenham
Reviewed 5 June 2011

From reading the May Fair's website, we were expecting an achingly hip, funky and luxurious experience. The reality was far removed from the 'anything but ordinary' rooms purported on the website. Well, the room wasn't ordinary - it was a disgrace for what claims to be a 5 star establishment. From entering room 245, the entire stay unfolded in an underwhelming tableau. The room size was average, with an oppressive view of the outside air conditioning machinery, strewn with 'contemporary' cigarette ends. The decor was cheap-looking with brown faux reptile bed, headboard, mirror, chair and bench. Not even the lovely VI spring bed could detract from the shabby paintwork and dusty areas around the room which left us feeling disappointed. Two mismatched towelling robes (one minus a belt), lack of slippers and toiletries made our stay memorable.. for the wrong reasons. A vile brown paint colour had been used on the walls, with a patch up job painted in a lighter shade which only served to highlight a damaged area. The outside machinery disturbed our sleep, but not as much as the noisy neighbours who also thought it would be fun to knock on the door at midnight, then at 4:45 am and run away down the corridor. Our sleep was further hindered by a massive under-door gap which projected corridor light onto the far wall of the room, coupled with too-short Roman blinds which aided illumination and my insomnia. I had almost forgotten that the cheap, thin pillows were stained yellow and the grim counterpane looked like it had been salvaged from the 1970s when I was awoken from my sleep by inconsiderate fellow guests.

The bathroom was large, and contained a hanging area for clothes, boastfully reported on the website as a 'large walk-in wardrobe'. A so-called power shower's flow was limp and weak, and the shaver point didn't work. We didn't like the nailed-down cheapo toiletries either. We thought the hotel might redeem itself at breakfast, but the debacle continued with tables minus the required implements and accoutrements, and having to repeatedly ask for toast and tea refills. We had been ushered into an ante room off the main breakfast area as it was full, but this room lacked the choice of foods available next door which we realised upon leaving. A shambolic service concluded with the waitress pouring me a cold cup of tea.

The May Fair lacks the attention to detail required to achieve a 5 star rating. The staff seem unable to impart any useful information (breakfast times, location, check out times) and are not proactive - apart from Stephanie on reception who graciously recorded our feedback and knocked a couple of drinks off the bill by way of an apology. By the time we had finished with her, she looked as though she could have done with a drink herself. It is more of a place to be seen, not to stay for a luxurious experience. I can only assume the hotel largely appeals to a juvenile clientele with more money than sense as we were deeply underwhelmed by what promised to be an extraordinary experience. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KatieDuncs
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and two young daughter (aged 2 and 4) stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding in London. We stayed in a family room.

The reception staff were professional but not overly friendly.

The room was large and plush with a real touch of luxury. It was clean and modern, and the bathroom was superb, with its large walk in shower and bath with a tv mounted into the wall. One gripe - the dressing gowns were quite rough rather than the fluffy towelling you would expect.

The family rooms all seem to be located near the lifts which is a pain as you hear all the through traffic of people coming and going - not great if you are trying to get children to sleep.

The breakfasts were superb, with lots of choice and of a very high quality. The staff in the breakfast room were fabulous with the children, fussed over them and brought them out hot chocolate as a treat. Lovely people!

The restaurant was closed due to refurbishment (something we weren't told when we booked and only found out when we got there). We also arranged for a small gathering of people in the bar one afternoon for some birthday drinks which didn't run very smoothly. We had asked for an area to fit 25 people and were squished around 2 sofas and a fire exit. We also payed for some platters to be out for when we arrived but we had to ask for these an hour after we got there! The staff were nice, but mistakes were made.

All in all a lovely hotel but I expected it to exceed all expectations as it is a very expensive hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for your feedback and appreciate the time you have taken to let us know your experience.
I will be following up with our Laundry regarding the bathrobes.
I can appreciate the birthday drinks set up could have been managed more smoothly and will be speaking with our Bar Manager and apologise for this.
The good news is that Quince will be opening next week which is our new restaurant and bar which will give an alternative to what is currently on offer. We have an extremely talented Celebrity Chef and the feedback during our soft opening this week has been very positive. I am only sorry that the delay of opening this restaurant impacted your experience, however, I sincerely hope that we will have pleasure of welcoming you all back again soon.
Overall, I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you liked the accommodation.
I hope to meet you on the next occasion personally and send my warmest wishes.

Victoria
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This hotel is in a great location and has all the expectations of a five star hotel. After a flight from New York I arrived early of the morning of my stay to find my room available and the team were more than happy to show me to my room.
There was no telling me that check in was much later, they informed me of the renovations and that they currently had no restaurant. No problems as this hotel is situated in a prime area of London. The only down side is that the TV is very difficult to work and I was never sure if I was paying extra or if it was free to air?
This hotel is recommended weather your stay is for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Worth the stay
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for your feedback.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us but I was sorry to learn that you had problems using the television. All of the channels on the television are free to watch apart from the film channel which will carry a charge.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back and please do let us know should you have difficulty using the television when you next stay, and I will ask one of the Attendants to assist you with this.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I hold annual meetings, usually conducted in a hotel suite, this year I selected The May Fair Hotel for I'd heard it was provided fantastic service for corporate events and had an excellent location.

An excellent location it had. Fantastic service it did not.

I stayed and had meetings in The Amarillo Suite for one week. On the face of it, it was a great place for what I needed. However, the wireless internet did not work for the entire time I was there, it took me to complain to reception twice and one phone call from my intern before someone finally called back to try and solve the problem. However when this was not successful, they did nothing further to try and rectify the problem.

Housekeeping was perfect. If and when they showed up.
Often turned up after 9:30, by which point I am in meetings with clients and it looks very unprofessional to have a maid working around us.

On two nights the turn down service did not appear.

The suite is on the front of the hotel, and at 5 o clock every morning I awoke to garbage trucks and loud conversation on the street. The room appeared to also not be soundproofed and the lifts next to the suite kept me awake throughout the night.

On the day of check out, I was over charged by nearly £100 for breakfasts which were not only included in my bill but had been added to the bill twice. I had to find my email confirmation to prove to reception that the breakfast was included, and when they were proven wrong, they did not apologise.

When I called reception for a porter to help me carry down my bags, I was met his rude response when I opened the door "You want ALL of this stuff taken downstairs!". A terrible end to a horrible stay.

To operate the lifts you need a keycard for security, and on every day of the week; either mine or a colleague's keycard failed to work either the lift and/or the suite door. This as you can imagine is frustrating having to prove to reception every day that you are indeed the person paying for the suite.

On the plus side, the suite was lovely, quirky and high quality, although some of the finishes could have been better. There was also one woman on reception who was fantastic and very apologetic every time I saw her, she went out on a limb to try and solve many of our problems. But unfortunately she appeared to be the only one.

Very disappointed, lots of problems that could all very easily be sorted out and for relatively little expense.

1 Thank littlemisstravel10
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Thank you for your detailed feedback and the time you have taken which is much appreciated.
Firstly, I would like to apologise for your overall experience and shall be following this up with the Senior Management team. I was surprised by your experience with our internet as this is always reliable and one of the best in Europe. There is no excuse for the follow up you received.
Lack of turn down service is unusual and I will follow through with our Executive Head Housekeeper along with the double glazing which is throughout the Hotel and you should not have been effected by any external noise. I shall actually visit the Suite myself.
Clearly a number of issues combined added up to a disappointing stay and I am deeply sorry for this.
I would really like to speak with you personally as I would like the opportunity of putting this right. May I ask that you make contact with me when it is convenient to you.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed here for three nights while in London for a business meeting.
Pros:
- excellent location, near all the major attractions.
- great bathroom (I booked a basic king bed room, but was upgraded): large bath tub with a TV, heated towel rack, separate glass-wall shower.
- had chocolates and bottled water waiting for me in the room.
- liked having a tea/coffee set up (which was hidden away inside a cabinet- I only found it on my last day at the hotel).
Cons:
- very expensive even by London standards. A basic room was nearly 600 pounds (climbing up to nearly 900 pounds for a Friday night stay).
- somewhat limited bathroom amenities
- service was lacking: had to ask several times to have someone come get my laundry; room was unmade late in the afternoon; someone kept turning the thermostat up (it was very stuffy); wakeup call was nearly 15 min late; housekeeping did not wipe obvious stains from the table;
- room service was hit or miss - a "king prawn" caesar salad ended up having just a few tiny shrimp, but eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast were good;
- nothing special about the room generally - just a plain bed and a table with two chairs.
- was told the gym was downstairs and wandered around a bit but could not find it.
Overall I'd most likely try another hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and appreciate the time you have taken to let us know.
Unfortunately London was completely fully booked last weekend due to a number of sporting events and The May Fair was 100%. The pricing as with any Hotel varies depending upon the compression of the market and I am only sorry that you came during such a peak time.
Thank you also for letting us know some of the service aspects of your visit that seem to be inconsistent. I shall of course be following up with our Executive team here.
I am sorry that you did not find the gym and any of us would have guided you there personally. It is well signed and is part of our overall Spa. We have just upgraded all of the equipment to the latest technology.
We would love to see you back and should we be able to change your mind, do please contact my office so that I can personally ensure that you are well taken care of and I would be happy to ugprade you to the next category with my best wishes.
Warmest wishes,