“Fire alarms and triple charging on credit card” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #204 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Fire alarms and triple charging on credit card”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed for a 13 night stay in early June and it has been one of the worst experiences I have encountered in hotels for years. Over the course of my stay at least 3 nights had fire alarms going off for periods of up to 1 hours in hours between 2 and 4 am. Guest were in corridors not knowning what to do. Once I can understand but for it to happen several times over two weeks is not acceptable, either they do not care, or have a major fault in the alarm system and shoudl get a visit from the Fire and Safety Regulator as there is a 200 plus room hotel without a satisfactory alarm system in place.
Due to length of my stay they took just over 2,000 pounds on my credit card, on check out my card did not work and I had to use another to clelar the 2,400 pound balance. On chacking with AMEX why cardwas rejected it was because the original 2,00 was taken 3 times for a total of over 6,000 pounds plus my final balance so I have been charged 8,400 pounds for a 4,400 pounds stay. Called the hotel and they cannot resolve quickly as system is down...if I don't get it resolved then will need to involve the police as it looks like potential fraund and false accounting as my statment on check out only showed 2,000 they had taken andnot the 6,000... very very disapointing

5 Thank ukhongkonger
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Thank you for your very detailed feedback which is much appreciated and always taken constructively.
Firstly, may I apologise profusely for the fire alarms that occurred during your stay. Both incidents were outside our control and could have happened anywhere in the world.
One alarm being set off by a Managing Director of a reputable company at 3am in the morning by accident hitting a call point.
The second alarm was a variation of the first, totally unrelated and by a daughter who was not able to be managed by her family. Please rest assured we take any fire alarm situation extremely seriously and our systems are most certainly well and truly adequate.
The Fire Brigade Chief complimented us on the way we handled the situation. I am only sorry that the two incidents disturbed your visit with us.
On the charging of your credit card, I would be happy to discuss the details with you, however, I understand that within 24 hours this was resolved and can assure you that fraud and false accounting is an exaggeration which most certainly did not occur. Systems can always have problems, sometimes out of our control and that is exactly why this was picked up the following day and a credit made to you immediately.
Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you again for your feedback.
With best wishes,

Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

During the evening of my first stay I visited the restaraunt, this was quite possibly the worst meal I have ever eaten in a Hotel. The service was good, but quality of food and menu choice is poor. Then at approximately 2 am until 4 am the Fire Alarm was randomly being activated. When calling reception they really couldn't explain what was going on but assured me it was a system fault and no need to evacuate. One of my colleagues was also stayin and went down to the lobby only to discover a scene of complete chaos with concerned guests trying to get info from clearly very confused and badly prepared staff. It appears clear that there is a distinct lack of Disaster Recovery training/Procedures in place. When checking out, no discount was immediately offered and the reception were informing guests that the fault was not the Hotels! However when I met up with my colleague, he had been given a small gesture of compensation and a refund for the meal. I rang back and spoke to the Duty Manager who was very helpful and offered me a similar refund, I await for this to appear on my AMEX statement. Surely at the very least the entire fee for a nights stay should be refunded for this kind of disruption? I won't be going back

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MagicMarvelo
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Firstly, may I apologise profusely for the fire alarm that occurred during your stay. The incident was outside of our control and could have happened anywhere in the world.
The alarm was set off by a Managing Director of a reputable company at 3am in the morning by accident hitting a call point. The guest obviously did not mean to do this and it took the fire brigade several attempts to re set the system. The fire system is there for very good reasons as I am sure you would understand and we have a very clear and well exercised Disaster Recovery team who are well able to manage such incidents.
I am so sorry that your experience in the restaurant did not meet your expectations. I have to say this is the first time that I have received such feedback on the food which has been very well received by everyone since opening on the 7th June and I am sure you have read several reviews which have been very complimentary.
We try to cater for a wide audience who have many different preferances and I am just sorry that you did not enjoy dining that evening.
Should you wish to return, I would very much like to take care of your booking personally to ensure you have an enjoyable return stay with us. Please contact my office directly.

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

just woke up to the 4th tripped fire alarm in 8 days. 2 such episodes occurred in the middle of the night (around 2:30am on 'morning' of friday, june 3 and again at the same time on thursday, june 9) and retriggered several times. the hotel blamed inebriated guests playing pranks -- even if this is true, there are clearly security issues at play here (additionally, lift security is inconsistent; sometimes key cards are necessary, other times they are not). alarms also went off around 9am on monday, june 6 and friday june 10. each of these four events woke me up and were so loud i could not return to sleep.

though a few staff members were apologetic, reception offered no compensation for these events, saying there were beyond the hotel's control, though when i overheard another guest be offered a free room during a future stay i complained and was offered the same -- i don't see how it would be possible how i (or anyone else from my company) would want to return. eventually they also offered free breakfast. perhaps others had other, better experiences, but it seems that most had to grovel even to receive an apology.

a few of my other complaints: room messages are delivered through the tv and trigger another exceptionally loud alarm, and the remotes are so difficult to control that it takes forever to turn the alarm off. it escalates in volume as you fumble, and you can hear through the paper thin walls as other guests suffer through the same problems (i'm now on my 5th room in the hotel, same is true everywhere)... several parties have been held in hotel leading to paparazzi crowding in doorway and monopolization of the lifts. no members of hotel staff were in sight to manage the crowds or guide hotel guests. rooms are terribly inconsistent in orientation and size -- some bathrooms are large and luxurious, others are tiny hell boxes. the powerful 'perfume' they spray in the lobby gives me an instant headache. bathrooms smell musty in several rooms. housekeeping is uneven about replacing water bottle in rooms (once every 3 nights? sometimes never?). photocopied newspapers cost something absurd like 4.50 gbp--they don't mention a charge at check-in. i had to request an ironing board and iron 4 times over the course of 2 days before i finally received them at start of stay. also transferred rooms mid-stay and it took hotel staff 3 phone calls and 2 hours to transfer my things.

have spent approx 2 nights a week in a hotel over the last 5+ yrs and have never experienced anything so frustrating. paying 300+ gbp per night to not sleep... i'd probably have been happier sleeping in the office.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nyctripster
Rooms at The May Fair are some of the largest per category in London.
Some of the other service issues I appreciate may not have been to the standard we would expect and I will be looking into that with the relevant Heads of Department. For this I am deeply sorry.
Should you wish to return, I would be very happy to take care of your reservation personally and to please contact my office.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

The immediate impact of the contemporary foyer area makes you know you chose the right place to stay. The staff are friendly, smiling and helpful from the moment you walk up to the front door and are greeted by the conciege staff. They make you feel most welcome even though you're not one of their celebrity guests!
The room was immaculate and well appointed with everything you would expect at a 5* hotel, with the attention to detail. The LCD TV has so many channels including all the sky sports ones! The bed was amazingly comfortable, which I did not want to get out of and the full English breakfast was delicious (cherry tomatoes fried, still on their vine and they know how to cook a fried egg!) I was even surprised by the reasonably priced mini bar and room service menu.
The bar and restaurant downstairs are also fantastic and a great place to relax and unwind. Will definately be coming back, I've found my hotel of choice!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Thank you for your feedback.
I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments really are appreciated.
We very much hope to welcome you back very soon and until then we send you our very best wishes.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked a very expensive room and was disappointed to find it was located RIGHT on top of the extraction system for the whole hotel. If you are going to go to this hotel you want to be above floor 5 if the noise is going to bother you. It drove me nuts.
Location is great and it is chic.
Staff not overly helpful but not dreadful. Restaurant was shut for refurb and I was not advised of this when booking. Arrived late and looking forward to dinner - in their defence I had not booked a table but still it should have been highlighted when I booked.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback and I was so sorry to learn that you were disturbed by noise in your room. I was also disappointed to hear that you were not advised when you made your booking that our restaurant is closed for refurbishment for which I would like to apologise.
I very much hope you will return to The May Fair on a future occasion as I would be delighted to welcome you back so you can have an enjoyable stay with us and for you to experience our newly refurbished restaurant Quince.
Please let me know if you do return as I would like to personally oversee your reservation and ensure you are allocated a quiet room.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

having this hotel booked for me for my 40th birthday surprise booked for me by my daughters,i was a little disappointed with the restaurant not being open, then having a room service meal and then to be told no steak!!! i had always wanted to stay in mayfair so was a little let down for the amount the room cost. mrs hennessey sunday 5th june 2011.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
MayFairHotel, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you for your feedback.
I was so sorry to learn that you were unhappy with your recent stay and I would like to take this opportunity of offeing you my personal apologies.
Reservations should have advised your daughters when they made the reservation that our restaurant was indeed being refurbished and subsequently closed and I am so sorry this was not the case. I am also disappointed to hear that you were unable to have steak as you requested via our Room Service. I will be following this up with my Room Service Manager.
We would be delighted to welcome you back to The May Fair when I would hope to restore your confidence in the Hotel. If you do decide to return, which I very much hope, please contact my office directly and I will personally ensure you are well looked after.
Cheltenham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

From reading the May Fair's website, we were expecting an achingly hip, funky and luxurious experience. The reality was far removed from the 'anything but ordinary' rooms purported on the website. Well, the room wasn't ordinary - it was a disgrace for what claims to be a 5 star establishment. From entering room 245, the entire stay unfolded in an underwhelming tableau. The room size was average, with an oppressive view of the outside air conditioning machinery, strewn with 'contemporary' cigarette ends. The decor was cheap-looking with brown faux reptile bed, headboard, mirror, chair and bench. Not even the lovely VI spring bed could detract from the shabby paintwork and dusty areas around the room which left us feeling disappointed. Two mismatched towelling robes (one minus a belt), lack of slippers and toiletries made our stay memorable.. for the wrong reasons. A vile brown paint colour had been used on the walls, with a patch up job painted in a lighter shade which only served to highlight a damaged area. The outside machinery disturbed our sleep, but not as much as the noisy neighbours who also thought it would be fun to knock on the door at midnight, then at 4:45 am and run away down the corridor. Our sleep was further hindered by a massive under-door gap which projected corridor light onto the far wall of the room, coupled with too-short Roman blinds which aided illumination and my insomnia. I had almost forgotten that the cheap, thin pillows were stained yellow and the grim counterpane looked like it had been salvaged from the 1970s when I was awoken from my sleep by inconsiderate fellow guests.

The bathroom was large, and contained a hanging area for clothes, boastfully reported on the website as a 'large walk-in wardrobe'. A so-called power shower's flow was limp and weak, and the shaver point didn't work. We didn't like the nailed-down cheapo toiletries either. We thought the hotel might redeem itself at breakfast, but the debacle continued with tables minus the required implements and accoutrements, and having to repeatedly ask for toast and tea refills. We had been ushered into an ante room off the main breakfast area as it was full, but this room lacked the choice of foods available next door which we realised upon leaving. A shambolic service concluded with the waitress pouring me a cold cup of tea.

The May Fair lacks the attention to detail required to achieve a 5 star rating. The staff seem unable to impart any useful information (breakfast times, location, check out times) and are not proactive - apart from Stephanie on reception who graciously recorded our feedback and knocked a couple of drinks off the bill by way of an apology. By the time we had finished with her, she looked as though she could have done with a drink herself. It is more of a place to be seen, not to stay for a luxurious experience. I can only assume the hotel largely appeals to a juvenile clientele with more money than sense as we were deeply underwhelmed by what promised to be an extraordinary experience. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple